The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

18 months parental leave?

What am I doing wrong?

luulou09
post 20.Nov.2018, 08:36 PM
Post #1

Hi! I'll be having a baby in a few months and have started looking into my and my partner's parental leave. Everything I have read says that we get 18 months (or the 480 days or whatever it is) at 80% of our salary. I know that 90 of those days are solely reserved for one parent.

I plan on being home at least a year as that's what works best for us. I have used the calculator on the website and it seems to me that if I want 80% of my salary, I need to take pay 7 days of the week which will give me a maximum leave for 6.5 months. I guess then my partner would get the same. Leaving us 13 months total. At high pay I guess? It seems we would have some low paid days leftover which we want to keep for longer vacations, daycare visits, etc.

If I want to take a year paid, I need to only get paid like 3-3.5 days a week which is way less than 80% of my salary. Of course budget-wise, it's not ideal but as my job isn't guaranteed to be held for me when I'm gone anyways (crappy contract), it's better than nothing. I also know that this dips into my partners days and he'll need to transfer days over to me.

Does this sound right to those that have done it? That in order to take a longer leave, you need to take less than 80% of your salary? So I'll need to only get "paid out" 3-3.5 days per week in order to be home a year.

I'm going to call försakringskassan as well but last time it was a nightmare and really unhelpful so trying to get more organized before I call again.
Go to the top of the page
+
ChocOwl
post 20.Nov.2018, 09:29 PM
Post #2

I haven't needed to grapple with this stuff for a while but it is very complicated. One aspect to keep in mind is your SGI and what you need to do to maintain it. There is info on F-kassan's website about what SGI is, and how and why you would want to keep it at the same level. HTH.
+
Billy_UK
post 21.Nov.2018, 11:48 AM
Post #3

You get 390 days at the higher rate and 90 of those are reserved for your partner so if you take all the days he can transfer to you you’ll have a maximum of 300 days at the higher rate. If you take 7 days a week to make it truly 80% of your salary they’ll last for roughly ten months. 5 days a week would last roughly 14 months. 3-3.5 days a week that you mentioned is closer to 18 months. Remember that you still get taxed on that amount as well.

Also worth noting that after the first 12 months of parental leave you need to take at least 5 days a week to maintain your SGI.
+
wallace1837
post 30.Dec.2018, 04:45 AM
Post #4

You also only make 80% of your salary if you earn low wage (i.e. somewhere below 40k a month). Above that you make way less than 80%.
+
yet another brit
post 2.Jan.2019, 05:33 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 30.Dec.2018, 04:45 AM) *
You also only make 80% of your salary if you earn low wage (i.e. somewhere below 40k a month). Above that you make way less than 80%.

Some employers top up, but by the sounds of it the OPs employer isn't one of them :-)
+

Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: