The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Wanna Cry viruss attacks!

Wanna Cry

heimerdinger
post 25.May.2017, 09:52 AM
Post #1

Hi there, my girlfriend's computer was attacked by WannaCry yesterday. She has some important documents and I haven't found a way to solve it yet.
Anybody here to help me guys, please...
Thanks first!
Go to the top of the page
+
riemann
post 25.May.2017, 11:35 AM
Post #2

There is no way currently to solve it, that's why it is such a devastating attack and all over the news. Don't bother paying the ransom as the criminals behind WannaCry haven't been releasing documents after ransom payment anyways. Basically your girlfriend is screwed. Perhaps down the line some security researcher may discover the key to unlock the documents, this has happened with other ransomware variants but the time between now and then if it even happens could be measured in years. Advice for anyone reading is to make sure you backup anything important to the cloud for safe keeping if you haven't already (something you should be doing regularly anyways) and make sure you are always on top of updates for your computers. The way WannaCry and other variants spread is due to vulnerabilities in older operating systems that haven't stayed on top of downloading and installing security updates.
+
Temp
post 25.May.2017, 01:34 PM
Post #3

If she hasn't rebooted she might be lucky using this:

https://github.com/gentilkiwi/wanakiwi

https://blog.comae.io/wannacry-decrypting-f...mo-86bafb81112d

Lycka till
+
riemann
post 25.May.2017, 02:03 PM
Post #4

^^^ Nice, I haven't heard of this release, thanks for the link. Good luck, hope it works for you.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 25.May.2017, 03:03 PM
Post #5

Format and re-install...including the important files you backed up...You did back up...didn't you??? sad.gif
+
Gjeebes
post 5.Jun.2017, 06:36 AM
Post #6

To the OP, do you know how the PC was infected? Bad e-mail? Infested executable? Browser attack? Visit a bad page?

I just ask because I was under the impression these things start by people clicking a bad link in a "weird" e-mail, but then I'd read that wasn't the case with WannaCry.
+
heimerdinger
post 8.Jun.2017, 03:29 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (riemann @ 25.May.2017, 11:35 AM) *
There is no way currently to solve it, that's why it is such a devastating attack and all over the news. Don't bother paying the ransom as the criminals behind WannaC ... (show full quote)

Thank you so much riemann. I've never been in this situation.
I should be more aware about my gf's computer. I do know that paying to ransomware is really an such thing so I've reinstalled all the thing on my gf's computer.
There's a bit lucky that this computer is only a place for my gf to save my "ugly sleep" picture xD!
+
heimerdinger
post 8.Jun.2017, 03:31 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Temp @ 25.May.2017, 01:34 PM) *
If she hasn't rebooted she might be lucky using this:. https://github.com/gentilkiwi/wanakiwi. https://blog.comae.io/wannacry-decrypting-f...mo-86bafb81112d. Lycka till

I've tried but no luck to me... the final decision was reinstall Window ;(
Btw, thanks for sharing useful way to treat WannaCry!
+
heimerdinger
post 8.Jun.2017, 03:32 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 5.Jun.2017, 06:36 AM) *
To the OP, do you know how the PC was infected? Bad e-mail? Infested executable? Browser attack? Visit a bad page?I just ask because I was under the impression these thing ... (show full quote)

My gf even can't remember a thing she've done! Poor me sad.gif
+
andy_fin
post 8.Jun.2017, 01:27 PM
Post #10

Whatever the route of the attack the real cause was not updating Windows.
NSA found exploit in Windows.
NSA lost exploit.
Windows fixed exploit via windows update.
6 months later WannaCry is released.

You didn't even need fancy anti-virus, you still don't windows defender will do nicely. Just run the updates as often as you can.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: