The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Switching to sambo visa from a student visa

I have some questions

jess21
post 7.Dec.2014, 01:53 PM
Post #1

Hi everybody!

I have some questions regarding me and my boyfriend. He is here on a student visa, and I'm a swede.
We want to switch the student visa to a sambo one, since the student visa is limiting in terms of having to stay in school in order to be in Sweden, whereas a sambo visa is based on our relationship and gives more freedom. We already live together too. The thing is that my boyfriend isn't too pleased with the university program he's in, so he would like to apply for a different program next fall and work full time in the meanwhile and stop school. Of course, that's not possible on the student visa.

We have handed in a sambo visa application to the MV, called our case officer which said he won't even look at our papers until next fall. Hmmm.

I'm wondering if there's anything else we can do? Is it possible to stop school and work full time when you've handed in the sambo visa application and have that in motion? Any suggestions? This is really taking it's toll since the university program is nothing what he expected, and we're kind of stuck in this town because of school...and I really am struggling with living here, which takes it toll too...

I would, and will probably, call the case officer again to ask these questions, but he wasn't the nicest last time to say the least and from what he said it almost sounded like he already had decided not to give a sambo visa. I hope he just had a really bad day so that he isn't like that always..

Any suggestions, ideas will be greatly appreciated

Jess21
Go to the top of the page
+
Kazanova_30
post 7.Dec.2014, 02:31 PM
Post #2

Hey Jess,

Try to email MV your case because in this way you will be able to get an answer from another person which is not your current case officer I guess. Then you can discuss it further with your current case officer in case he will mention different story since you will have the feedback officially and documented from the MV.

Here is the link: http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Con.../E-mail-us.html

Good luck!

Best regards,
+
axiom
post 7.Dec.2014, 03:59 PM
Post #3

As long as he submitted the sambo based application before the student visa expired, he can quit school and work if he wishes so to do. Remember there are some minimum requirements for the sambo visa such as having received 30credits before submitting the application.
+
jess21
post 7.Dec.2014, 07:24 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Kazanova_30 @ 7.Dec.2014, 02:31 PM) *
Hey Jess, Try to email MV your case because in this way you will be able to get an answer from another person which is not your current case officer I guess. Then you can disc ... (show full quote)

Thank you for your reply! Smart idea, I will do that to see what kind of reply I get. Hopefully a good, positive one smile.gif I just want to get a clear answer from the MV so I know what we have to work with, school and work wise..
+
jess21
post 7.Dec.2014, 07:28 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (axiom @ 7.Dec.2014, 03:59 PM) *
As long as he submitted the sambo based application before the student visa expired, he can quit school and work if he wishes so to do. Remember there are some minimum require ... (show full quote)

Thank you for your answer! He has a student visa valid until next fall, but we would like to switch it to a sambo visa or at least have the process going soon, so that he can quit school, start working full time and then start a different program next fall..since he doesn't want to be in the program he is in. Do you think that is possible? He will have taken 30 credits by next month, btw..
+
Kazanova_30
post 7.Dec.2014, 09:24 PM
Post #6

@ Jess

Wish you all the best smile.gif . Kindly keep us posted as soon as you get a reply from MV.

Best regards,
+
axiom
post 8.Dec.2014, 03:23 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (jess21 @ 7.Dec.2014, 07:28 PM) *
Thank you for your answer! He has a student visa valid until next fall, but we would like to switch it to a sambo visa or at least have the process going soon, so that he ... (show full quote)

Sure!
If they live together and he can count 30credits when he submits the application (they will check this) then this should not be a problem at all.
+
friendonlyyours
post 8.Dec.2014, 05:06 PM
Post #8

There is no requirement for 30 credits even, it is only needed for switching student visa to work visa.
Study can't make you bound to be in relation and ask for sambo permit. tongue.gif Other than above all is true.
+
kväll.evening
post 8.Dec.2014, 09:49 PM
Post #9

@friendonlyyours

this is true that u need 30hp from university to switch visa( student to sambo or to work permit). but this is not written in MV's web page.
+
axiom
post 8.Dec.2014, 11:15 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (kv?ll.evening @ 8.Dec.2014, 09:49 PM) *
@friendonlyyours. this is true that u need 30hp from university to switch visa( student to sambo or to work permit). but this is not written in MV's web page.

Yeh it is true, I just gave up on having this discussion again.
+
LLHope
post 9.Dec.2014, 12:52 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (friendonlyyours @ 8.Dec.2014, 05:06 PM) *
There is no requirement for 30 credits even, it is only needed for switching student visa to work visa.Study can't make you bound to be in relation and ask for sambo permi ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (axiom @ 8.Dec.2014, 11:15 PM) *
Yeh it is true, I just gave up on having this discussion again.

30 credits is not a requirement as such, having 30 credits means that the person applying for the status change to Sambo visa does not need to leave Sweden whilst the application is processed. OP, note that since the case officer has already told you they would not even look at the permit status change by next fall, then your partner could be liable to pay course fees for any new course (assuming they are non-EU), and I wonder if they can actually start the course at-all since the student visa is technically expired and sambo visa is not likely to be approved by that time.
+
jess21
post 30.Dec.2014, 05:18 PM
Post #12

Hi guys!
Sorry for a late answer, been trying to figure everything out here. I can't say I'm getting closer to an answer since I still get mixed answers every time..

I've been to the migration office to ask my questions, but the thing is nobody can say anything FOR SURE. I got "it should be like this" and "I THINK it is like this" and what I got out of this visit was; to be able to switch from student visa to sambo visa you need to have been on the student visa for at least 6 months and have passed a minimum of 15 credits. Then during the process of switching visas (when your papers are handed in, you have a case number and a case officer) you can basically drop out of school and start working full time. With a disclaimer: IF your sambo visa gets denied you have to leave the country asap. If you've stayed in school during the whole process time and the sambo visa gets denied you can just go back to the student visa...

She also said the student visa is NOT based on you having to go to the school you were first in, e.g you can switch school/program etc. if you want. All her answers were very uncertain though so I don't feel like I can take them for 100% correct answers..

Now today I called the "general case number" since me and my bf:s case officer is on vacation for a few weeks. Now I got mixed answers again, basically he had to talk to the whole office about my questions and they were 50/50 on these questions: If you can switch school on the student visa, if you can switch school/ditch school altogether while you're waiting for the sambo visa since we're thinking about applying for a new program fall-15 and it would be good if he could have the freedom of working full time only until then. Generally they didn't agree on anything and I feel as confused as ever.

I'm really not trying to be a pain. I just want to have true, real, for sure answers to my questions since I DON'T want to do anything wrong... and they have no info about switching visas on their website. Ahh, breathe..

All I really, REALLY want to know right now is if you have to go to school while you're waiting for your student visa to turn into a sambo visa... Hmmm. And how long you must have been on the student visa until you can make the switch.
+
stockholm.sweden
post 31.Dec.2014, 12:49 AM
Post #13

@jess21

Things are very straight.

Ur Bf have to have the 30 credits/hp from any course or any programme. It doesnt matter what university or h
+
critic
post 7.Apr.2015, 06:19 AM
Post #14

facts about student to (cohabitation)sambo residence permit !
important shit for previous students who have had their student permit rejected

1. if you were a student you need at least 30 hp to apply for sambo visa.
2.you can apply for sambo visa even if your student visa was rejected but you applied with in three weeks after your student visa got rejected . the reason for this is your case has not got legal force from the court so you are considered legal .
impoortant info! if your student permit get rejected write on the appeal letter to migration court within three weeks after your rejcetion of student visa that you live with your sambo or planning to move then if you genuinely live with your partner they will definitely give you a chance to apply for sambo visa without leaving sweden. i have been to the same situation so i am not bullshitting!!!
3.you need not to show bank statement of any kind if your partner in sweden is swedish citizen or has lived in sweden with permanent residence for at least 4 years . otherwise, your partner in sweden is subject to maintainance requirement .
see the link below
https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...law-spouse.html
4. you need to be registered with same adress as your partner in sweden (if you did not . you must be the most foolish person in sverige wink.gif just kidding !!!)
5. if your relationship ends while you are living with sambo visa .. try to reconcile with your partner smile.gif or try to get another sambo , since you are legally allowed to file for another sambo visa without leaving sweden.
6. you can get your permanent residence permit 2 years from the date of your registration in swedish tax offfice .
7.on the interview it is important for your and your partner answer to be the same (sounds obvious?) but you still have to discuss before you go to the interview(investigation ph34r.gif ) since you will be asked questions like what you have done and eaten a few days ago . if you do not remember this the migraiton offfice might be skeptical .
+
good_luck_1
post 8.Apr.2015, 12:46 PM
Post #15

I have applied on 1st of August to spouse residence permit, was on student residence permit before and still have no appointment for an interview, and my case officer is keep saying that there is a huge queue and your decision will be made in approximately 18 months, that was the last figure stated on MV website.
I don't know where you guys take this info about credits) have not found any such information in official document on MV. I have not been asked to show any credits when I applied, maybe because I am married or they didn't ask because I had 2 student visas for about 2 years and my personal number before I married.
The pain is that one can not leave the country and come back to Sweden whilst waiting for decision (in case one is non-EU citizen). And of course one can not study for free in other programme, before the decision is made. I guess your bf is not from EU, otherwise it would be no problem and he could study.
Good luck, maybe they will proceed your case faster)
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: