The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Work permit after "visiting researcher" permit

Smooth transition, from within Sweden.

banane
post 24.Dec.2018, 04:15 AM
Post #1

Hi, and best wishes to you all!

I very much hope you guys can help me with an issue I'm struggling to figure out (neither the website of Migrationsverket nor their call center are answering my questions clearly).

I'm currently a postdoc in a swedish university with the "visiting researcher" permit. Im from a non-EU country (and no special agreement applies). The visiting researcher permit I have expires the day my contract ends. But I would like to stay in Sweden after this and work in industry.

My question is: How can I do this? bureaucratically speaking.

What I think is the only solution (i.e. my plan for now) is: get a job offer and use that offer to apply for a work permit *before* the expiration of my postdoc contract. Then hope to get it in time to smoothly transition from "visiting researcher" permit to work permit. Obviously, many things can go wrong with this solution. Is there a better way though? Can I possibly stay in Sweden and apply for jobs (then work permit) after the expiration of my visiting researcher" permit?

This is also tricky because I don't have much time left as my current permit expires in 2 months (!). I'm a bit lucky as I think I could get a job in time (a booming tech sector). Just need to confirm that my plan is the only sensible one. I would strongly prefer to apply for this from within Sweden.

I've read somewhere that the work permit will be issued for a specific employer and for 2 years. Is this correct?

Thank you very much beforehand!
Go to the top of the page
+
wallace1837
post 29.Dec.2018, 02:50 PM
Post #2

There is no smooth transition. The safest way to change type of permit is to go in a civilised country and apply from there.
+
womi
post 8.Jan.2019, 10:18 PM
Post #3

I think that is a good plan. But as a previous student at a Swedish university and currently working in tech industry, I would say that two months might not be enough to get a job(unless you are extremely lucky biggrin.gif ).

Another alternative could be that to apply for "residence permit to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business." I'm not sure that a postdoc will be qualified for this. But this will give you another 6 months for work and other possibilities.

Good luck!

More information: https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...ur-studies.html
+
wallace1837
post 9.Jan.2019, 01:16 AM
Post #4

Here is some more information on how Sweden deport entrepreneurs in mass (aka Migrationsverket deportation rage)

Sweden is deporting this entrepreneur for lowering his own salary

Stockholm drone entrepreneur faces deportation for cutting own salary

American forced to leave Sweden despite running successful brewery

Sweden to deport an entrepreneur for taking a pay cut to help save his business
+
banane
post 9.Jan.2019, 02:42 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (womi @ 8.Jan.2019, 10:18 PM) *
I think that is a good plan. But as a previous student at a Swedish university and currently working in tech industry, I would say that two months might not be enough to get a ... (show full quote)

Thanks for your positive and constructive reply. Unfortunately, the option you are mentioning doesn't seem to apply for postdocs indeed. But thanks for the tip; will ask migrationsverket about this.

Please let me know if something else comes to your mind (or if you know a postdoc who successfully switched to industry in Sweden). migrationsverket are simply unable to suggest solutions or give advice ... they keep reading to me their (non-comprehensive) website. Sigh.
+
watergarden
post 9.Jan.2019, 08:18 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (banane @ 24.Dec.2018, 04:15 AM) *
Hi, and best wishes to you all!I very much hope you guys can help me with an issue I'm struggling to figure out (neither the website of Migrationsverket nor their call ... (show full quote)

That's exactly what you should do and nothing will go wrong. I did the same "transition" from student to work visa, but I did it 5 years ago. I don't think any rules have changed regarding that.

You can get a 2 year work visa ONLY if your employment is permanent (if you're fastanställd). If your employment starts as a temporary (on probation) employment, then you'll get a 6 month visa which you'd have to extend later on.

You can apply within Sweden as long as you apply before your current residence permit expires.
I assume you already know that it's not you who would start the application, but your employer. Sometimes it can happen that employers at smaller companies aren't familiar with the migration procedure, so kindly take your time and explain to them your situation and it shouldn't be any problem for you to get it done.

IMPORTANT: You can start working at your future company only after you have APPLIED for the work visa. So NOT after you receive your decision, but after you applied for the visa (f.e. you get a job offer today, your employer applies for your work visa in 10 days because the job ad needs to be visible on arbetsförmedlingen for 10 days minimum, you start working in 12 days and you get your positive (or negative ehhh) decision in 3 months). The point is - you don't need to wait to get your visa to be able to start working, but you have to apply for it before starting.

Hope I wasn't too confusing.

Best of luck! smile.gif
+
banane
post 10.Jan.2019, 01:11 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (watergarden @ 9.Jan.2019, 08:18 PM) *
Hope I wasn't too confusing.. Best of luck! smile.gif

Thank you so much for your time! Very helpful answer.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: