The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Mum and baby groups and activities

Things to do and finding info in Jönköping

kdignam
post 4.Aug.2009, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Hello,
My husband and I are moving to Jonkoping (excuse the spelling I don't have a Swedish keyboard at the minute). We are spending the whole month of August there and will move permanently next year. We have a 10 month old son and I would like to know how I can find out about things to do.

In the UK I go to play groups, coffee mornings, soft play centres and swimming lessons. Through these activities I have managed to build up a large group of friends, and my son benefits from interaction with other children, new toys etc.

Where would I go or who would i ask to find out about such activities in Sweden/Jonkoping? I have just found the Mums in Sweden website (I am currently waiting for a log in), but is there anywhere else that I could look?

Also, I am interested to know whether we would be able to find a babysitter in Sweden. Friends of ours have told us that babysitting services (other than using friends or family) are pretty rare in Sweden. In the UK we have managed to find a local babysitter and enjoy the occasional night out together - would it be possible to do the same in Sweden.
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 4.Aug.2009, 03:24 PM
Post #2

In August there won't be so much going on as it is still a semi holiday month.

There are usually activities for parents/children that you can join up for when you move here on a permanent basis - although it may help to have a little Swedish - even though I lived in a much smaller place I took my kids to:
- Öppna förskola - a mother and baby group
- baby singing - we learned Swedish songs and rhymes
- baby gympa - like tumble tots
- baby swiming
I used to find out about this stuff either at the Öppna förskola (Mums maffia) or by a free local newspaer that used to come through the door

If you are a member of Mums in Sweden then there may be meets ups and coffee mornings with other English speaking mums in the area.

Many kids attend dagis (pre-school) at least part time from the age of 1-2 - if you are unemployed, taking Swedish lessons or feel that your child would benefit from playing/learning Swedish then you can usually get around 15 hours per week from the kommun - sometimes this is free

Baby sitting can be a problem as Swedes tend to ask family/close friends - however if you make some contacts and ask around you can often get good tips - perhaps other local mums through Mums in Sweden have contacts as well.
+
Micardo
post 4.Aug.2009, 09:29 PM
Post #3

I live in Jönköping but I am old and boring. You must be able to find somewhere more interesting and with more life to move to !!
+
tara casey
post 5.Aug.2009, 09:28 AM
Post #4

Micardo,
Tell me where??? I too am moving around the Jonkoping area or there abouts with my husbands job ( and 2 small children). Areas suggested were Ulricehamn and Falkoping.
Where would you suggest that would be good with little ones...help!
Tara
+
tara casey
post 5.Aug.2009, 09:29 AM
Post #5

oh, K...
I have just joined mums in sweden too. Perhaps we could meet up when we arrive in Jonkoping in september.
+
kdignam
post 5.Aug.2009, 07:16 PM
Post #6

Tara,
It would be lovely to meet up - we're probably going to be in jonkoping until 4th september and then will be back permanently from Jan 2010. My husband works in Jonkoping and has commuted back and forth for the last couple of years but now he needs to move (and is sick of the travelling).

I've always lived in big UK cities and worked in London so I think Jonkoping is going to be a different pace of life entirely. There is loads to do with my baby and loads of places to meet other mums here, I'm sure they also exist in Sweden but will be difficult to find.

Are there any livelier places close to jonkoping? I would have thought that it was quite hip as it is a university town - or am I sadly mistaken?
+
Hana123
post 24.Jan.2011, 12:51 AM
Post #7

Hello My name is Hannah And Im 18 years old.
I actually moved to Jönköping last year, February time, to live with my boyfriend, im from London originally and then moved to Wales when i was 5 ...
Before i moved away from the U.K i was in college studying Childcare but unfortunatly never had the chance to complete it ... I'm learning swedish at the moment at home so until i have the language under my belt im just trying to find little jobs smile.gif ...
I'm a reliable person and very good with children and babies.
Hope to speak soon
Hannah. smile.gif)
+
ozzarf
post 16.Jul.2011, 08:57 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Garry Jones @ 4.Jan.2011, 06:44 PM) *
The following - IIRC.It may be useful for you to know the CSA in the UK and the Swedish "försäkringskassa" have very different proceedures regarding financing. In ... (show full quote)

Say, for whatever reason, you get involved in the child's life 12 months after birth and are quiet happy to begin paying child support.

Will the Swedish government try to recover those 12 months of payments or just be happy that they will no longer have to pay?

Thanks in advance
+
Puffin
post 17.Jul.2011, 07:13 AM
Post #9

Hi

Check out the site Mums in Sweden - there is a poster over there called Skate who is looking to set up a regular meet up for English speaking mums and kids in Jonköping
+
*Wombers*
post 24.Mar.2014, 12:05 PM
Post #10

Hi All

My wife and I and our huge brood of 5 kids recently moved to J
+
littleviking
post 24.Mar.2014, 06:56 PM
Post #11

[quote name='Wombers' post='832655' date='24.Mar.2014, 12:05 PM']Hi All

My wife and I and our huge brood of 5 kids recently moved to J
+
*antonio82*
post 30.Mar.2014, 11:12 AM
Post #12

I love jogging in summer with our childrens, and a small wine bottle to drink on road.
+
zeina1990
post 30.Oct.2017, 12:33 AM
Post #13

Hello, I was wondering if there are any groups close to Hässleholm or Malmö..
+
wondering_again
post 30.Oct.2017, 08:58 AM
Post #14

Hi Zeina, there is a facebook group English speaking Mums in Sweden. If you join that I think you will find a lot of help. Good luck !
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: