The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >   Reply to this topic

Racism Sweden

*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 23.Jan.2006, 10:31 PM
Post #46

What people should try to understand is that Sweden is the oldest national state in the world. For a while ago only Swedes lived here basically, and that is different from what the rest of the world was like whether you like it or not. Germany have a history of not being united the same way Sweden always has been. It takes time for an old national state to change, and especially considering that we aren't exactly located in the heart of Europe.
Go to the top of the page
+
Legspin
post 24.Jan.2006, 12:35 AM
Post #47

QUOTE (Brave New World)
Aaron_in_berlin

This topic is so huge that we would need hours to discuss it and at the and I know that I would be called a madmen by some of Swedes who never want to hear the truth. There is an old book from 1975 which had explained to me things which I felt my in heart and I would like to recommend to you , if you really want to know why and how Sweden has become such a cold soulless country.
It was an English journalist who lived here for a few years who wrote the book and the title is
"The New Totalitarians "
I have lived in Germany too. I was a refugee already 1984, and know that Germany is a still country where culture and our European heritage have an important role. Germans like people who want to work and give them the chance, but here in Sweden you can try as much as you can but the walls are thicker and higher then the Berlin wall. When I was in Germany I could see people from the whole Europe working as builders, here are constructor companies almost ethnic cleansed.Not to mention all those well educated men and women who sit home and will never get a chance to show what they can. It is a human tragedy which happens every day in this country and for which is somebody responsible for.

When the first immigrant got a post as a school minister, Ibrahim Bailan, the reporter on Swedish TV said that he came from a village where there was no electricity nor running water. What is this saying to you? He should be grateful that he came here at all and for the first time can experience civilisation.

If you look at Swedish schools you see that Swedes and immigrants have so little contact to each other. There are two worlds which exist and which will clash with each other the day when the money begins to disappear, for money is almost only strength which keep this society together.

Thats a wonderful bit of insight!
True, there is no official racism as such (or even if there is ,the state influenced press in Sweden would do its utmost to keep it under wraps), but there is deep trenched resentment amongst a good majority of second generation immigrant Swedes about the lack of equal opportunity. One basic reason why the first generation immigrants got secluded was that Sweden immigration policy allows only political refugees (unlike Canada, Auss or NZ). Thus upon arrival there is a huge gap between whats their existing skill base and whats required to break into the white collar job market and thus attain some social status. Otherwise too the non-Swedes (whether a refugee or a temporary immigrant) find it always difficult to gel with the regular white Swedes (especially if there is a discreet romantic stimulation propelling the effort to break in). Based on my rather short but highly diverse experience with the 21-30 age grouped people, there is hardly an exception to this...lamentable for a "model nation", eh?
The comparison with Germany is partly logical and partly not. Given its lack of unity, its normal that Germans should be more open to foreign inflows, which it is (2.4% of Germans don't speak German, compared to 0% in Sweden). But on the other hand, the strong pride on the Aryan race would at least allude towards a stronger resistance. On the other contrary, the Swedes have marginal pride of their language (a Swede is always more than happy to speak in English than in Swedish, sometimes to the extent that you hit a glass ceiling trying to learn the language by the streetside). Despite that even a floor cleaner's job in a scratchy shag is not offered to someone not "officially fluent" in Swedish. If there is such a huge amount of English knowledge available, why not be a little less softly discriminatory?
+
Alice Is Back
post 24.Jan.2006, 12:38 AM
Post #48

sorry Desdichado, I think Denmark has you beat here,

well brave new world at least you liked germany, you are probably the first person to say something nice about where I live now laugh.gif
+
Alice Is Back
post 24.Jan.2006, 12:40 AM
Post #49

and legspin germany is and was never monolithic !!!

swedes seem to be all blue eyed with blond hair
+
Alice Is Back
post 24.Jan.2006, 12:41 AM
Post #50

brave new world

I read Lasermannen, is that a good start to understanding Swedish racism??
+
Legspin
post 24.Jan.2006, 12:49 AM
Post #51

QUOTE (Aaron_in_berlin)
and legspin germany is and was never monolithic !!!

swedes seem to be all blue eyed with blond hair

LOL...that monolithic word is just grouse! But yeah, if Swedes remain this way, all they will have is a buncha blue eyed blondies, but no ones' blue eyed boy :twisted:
+
Alice Is Back
post 24.Jan.2006, 01:31 AM
Post #52

I think I will stay in berlin for now, my hair is kind of dark
+
*Mark Boy*
post 24.Jan.2006, 08:31 AM
Post #53

QUOTE (Sven Goran)
We will give you the same warm welcome that you guys gave Sven Goran Eriksson. laugh.gif

Great where is my £15,000,000 ?
+
Fredde
post 24.Jan.2006, 03:12 PM
Post #54

QUOTE (Legspin)
Thats a wonderful bit of insight!
True, there is no official racism as such (or even if there is ,the state influenced press in Sweden would do its utmost to keep it under wraps), but there is deep trenched resentment amongst a good majority of second generation immigrant Swedes about the lack of equal opportunity. One basic reason why the first generation immigrants got secluded was that Sweden immigration policy allows only political refugees (unlike Canada, Auss or NZ). Thus upon arrival there is a huge gap between whats their existing skill base and whats required to break into the white collar job market and thus attain some social status. Otherwise too the non-Swedes (whether a refugee or a temporary immigrant) find it always difficult to gel with the regular white Swedes (especially if there is a discreet romantic stimulation propelling the effort to break in). Based on my rather short but highly diverse experience with the 21-30 age grouped people, there is hardly an exception to this...lamentable for a "model nation", eh?
The comparison with Germany is partly logical and partly not. Given its lack of unity, its normal that Germans should be more open to foreign inflows, which it is (2.4% of Germans don't speak German, compared to 0% in Sweden). But on the other hand, the strong pride on the Aryan race would at least allude towards a stronger resistance. On the other contrary, the Swedes have marginal pride of their language (a Swede is always more than happy to speak in English than in Swedish, sometimes to the extent that you hit a glass ceiling trying to learn the language by the streetside). Despite that even a floor cleaner's job in a scratchy shag is not offered to someone not "officially fluent" in Swedish. If there is such a huge amount of English knowledge available, why not be a little less softly discriminatory?

Wrong my friend. Swedes are very proud over their language. English is spoken as a curtesy as we are being polite. I agree this frustrates people who want to learn Swedish. My wife feels that all the time.
+
*Norge*
post 24.Jan.2006, 05:22 PM
Post #55

Thanks Livvy for the info biggrin.gif
+
Sven Adultbooks
post 24.Jan.2006, 05:57 PM
Post #56

QUOTE (Benn)
Sven Adultbooks, you wouldnt happen to be from Newcastle by any chance...?

Nah. Sunderland. I got the nickname whilst on holiday with the lads one fine summer, due to activities that one might find in adult books. Darn shame that little boutique closed down.

:shock:
+
etuna
post 24.Jan.2006, 05:58 PM
Post #57

i thought it was still alive and kicking? Not that I ever frequented of course. laugh.gif
+
Sven Adultbooks
post 24.Jan.2006, 07:59 PM
Post #58

Those lying gits!! All these years!!!

:cry:
+
Legspin
post 26.Jan.2006, 12:28 AM
Post #59

QUOTE (Fredde)
Wrong my friend. Swedes are very proud over their language. English is spoken as a curtesy as we are being polite. I agree this frustrates people who want to learn Swedish. My wife feels that all the time.

Well in that case the courtesy should extend towards letting people integrate which is truly what they want to do whilst trying to speak in Swedish. It's all very well known that almost all the Swedes born after WW 2 speak fluent English, so speaking Swedish for the sake of communicating is really not the intended action, mingling is. By stopping them at that its either of two things -

a. that Swedes don't appreciate non-Swedes (particularly non-Caucasians) speak Swedish...and thus somehow be on the same footing as them (discrimination / pretectionism)
b. that Swedes lack the true belongingness to their language (lack of self pride)

There can be many ways to show the courtesy to a willing learner mate, the least of them is to snub him/her :cry:
+
Sippan
post 1.Mar.2006, 01:00 AM
Post #60

I believe that there is some racism going on against Americans at the moment. That casual contempt that quite a few European countries has had towards the US for a pretty long time, has during recent years started to get too serious. Especially among young people.

As much as I dislike the US government, it troubles me that people would take out their frustrations over a government, on individuals.

Am I just imagining things?
+

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: