The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Just a question, is it legal?

Is it possible and legal?

paulbest
post 22.Aug.2011, 08:38 AM
Post #1

Hej Locals,
Just want to find out if it is legal to have and posse 2 EU driving licence. I have a full swedish driving licence which i drive with when i am in uk. I was recently thinking of applying for a uk licence when i am there.
Go to the top of the page
+
Johno
post 22.Aug.2011, 09:16 AM
Post #2

Explain. You have to surrender one to get the other, eller hur ? Or are you planning to take another test ? You have a proper UK address also ? Since you aint supposed to hold a licence that has an invalid address on it.
+
Opalnera
post 22.Aug.2011, 09:34 AM
Post #3

No, in the UK you have to surrender your Swedish driver licence to get a UK driver licence. You also have to have to normally live in the UK and have a permanent address there. Why do you need a UK driver licence, your Swedish licence is more than enough.
+
Johno
post 22.Aug.2011, 09:37 AM
Post #4

Its to avoid speeding fines and parking tickets, of course.
+
Mpf
post 22.Aug.2011, 09:40 AM
Post #5

You can only have one EU licence. Is this another ploy by someone trying to bend the rules to suit their needs.

No matter where you live in the EU you can drive on your current EU licence. Once the licence is up for renewal you must apply in the country you are most resident.

The rules are quite plain and simple. Why do people have to try and bend the rules. Just abide by them.
+
Rick Methven
post 22.Aug.2011, 09:46 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Johno @ 22.Aug.2011, 10:37 AM) *
Its to avoid speeding fines and parking tickets, of course.

Not any more, EU rules from 1st Jan this year involve chasing motoring offences across borders for payment of fines.

This has lead to an increase in the number of Polish European Arrest Warrants calling for extradition of parking offenders laugh.gif
+
Mpf
post 22.Aug.2011, 10:30 AM
Post #7

This took me about 30 seconds to find online:

21. Is it possible to have two driving licences issued by different Member States?
Article 7(5) Directive 91/439/EEC clearly stipulates that no person may hold a driving licence
from more than one Member State. This includes withdrawn licences.

That'll be your answer then lazy arse.
+
Mpf
post 22.Aug.2011, 10:54 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Johno @ 22.Aug.2011, 10:16 AM) *
Since you aint supposed to hold a licence that has an invalid address on it.

This is a bit of a catch 22 for anyone still holding a UK style EU licence and living outside of the UK. It quite clearly states that the address on the front of your licence my be a current address or you risk a fine of £1000. Before moving to Sweden I contacted DVLA to try and change my address to a Swedish address but this is not possible. This meant I had an invalid address on my UK licence but they said that was OK because I live outside the UK. Strange.

Needless to say I now have my Swedish licence. The process went relatively painlessly although it does cost for your initial application. I believe this is the case EU wide and the rules are quite clear that once up for renewal you MUST apply in the country which are most resident.
+
Johno
post 22.Aug.2011, 12:40 PM
Post #9

Sort of related that came up the other day in the press.

Folks talk about bringing over cars from the UK, and an important point arises relating to a very recent change in the UK law. If you take a car out of the UK, its important to declare that to the DVLA. Because if your car is uninsured in the UK and they think it is in the UK and could be on the road, you will be fined and have a criminal record. The default is its deemed on the road unless you have told them it is not ! Thats important cos unless you will never ever go back to the UK, you could well go back and find you have a criminal record and outstanding fines without knowing it. Being able to prove you are without a criminal record gets more and more important for jobs, even voluntary activities in the UK.
+
Tammybonny
post 22.Aug.2011, 12:44 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (paulbest @ 22.Aug.2011, 09:38 AM) *
Hej Locals,Just want to find out if it is legal to have and posse 2 EU driving licence. I have a full swedish driving licence which i drive with when i am in uk. I was recentl ... (show full quote)

I had to return my UK licence, when i applied for swedish licence... sad.gif
so i think Its not possible to have both..
+
Mpf
post 22.Aug.2011, 12:59 PM
Post #11

Didn't you read my post above?

For the hard of seeing this is the actually entry in Council Directive 91/439/EEC, Article 7, para 5:

5. No person may hold a driving licence from more than one Member State.

No room for misunderstanding there then!
+
Abe L
post 22.Aug.2011, 02:18 PM
Post #12

It's not legal, but not impossible either (in fact the complete opposite).

However, as long as you drive a car that's registered in Sweden and are the registered owner of the car, you won't talk your way out of speeding violations or parking tickets.

You're best of driving a foreign vehicle on a foreign license to achieve that. Though mind you can't legally drive on a foreign license for more then one year.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: