The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Was it a mistake for Sweden to join the EU? Why, why not?

Markusaurelius
post 12.Dec.2006, 11:15 PM
Post #1

Since joining the EU, I have heard mostly aguments and grubles about why Swedes should never have joined the EU.

Clearly, everything has positives and negatives, but it seems that most Swedes I have spoken with think it was a horrible idea, and will cost Sweden dearly.

Was it a good idea to join the EU?
Why, why not?
Go to the top of the page
+
Mike
post 12.Dec.2006, 11:18 PM
Post #2

No, because once you join, you can never leave. Why would you ever join a club that forces you stay a member?
+
Shostokovich
post 12.Dec.2006, 11:20 PM
Post #3

More that joining the EU should join the ?.
+
*Arca*
post 12.Dec.2006, 11:40 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Mike)
No, because once you join, you can never leave. Why would you ever join a club that forces you stay a member?

Sure you can leave. What are you talking about?
+
Mike
post 12.Dec.2006, 11:48 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Arca)
Sure you can leave. What are you talking about?

Show me, in the EU constitution, the mechanism for leaving.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 12.Dec.2006, 11:53 PM
Post #6

It's funny that in Sweden the lefties and the greens want to stay out of EU while the righties support everything about the EU. In the rest of Europe it is the exact opposite. After all, EU is an enormous wellfare project...
+
*Arca*
post 12.Dec.2006, 11:55 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Mike)

http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=eu...leave&meta=
+
David S
post 12.Dec.2006, 11:56 PM
Post #8

Here's a page I found from the UK about how to leave the EU, I would assume the same stands for Sweden.

http://www.christchurchukip.co.uk/can_we_leave.htm

Sweden would be a part of the EU due to a Swedish Act of Parliamant. Repeal the act, voila, Sweden is out. Nothing to do with the EU constitution.
+
Faithless
post 12.Dec.2006, 11:59 PM
Post #9

Don't be stupid. If Sweden doesn't pay next years fees, you think Germany will bomb us?

I've never seen the EU as a quick road to better personal prosperity at all, I'm surprised people even think of it in those terms.
If anything, I expect a sacrifice from the richer Eu members for the next 30 years, in the name of achieving a far greater and more distant goal - the goal that was set up after we killed 60 000 000 people, to try and create mechanisms that would make that very hard to ever repeat.

That and the fact that a continent should be united anyway.
+
Mike
post 13.Dec.2006, 12:05 AM
Post #10

LEAVING THE EU

What the constitution says:

A new procedure describes how a member would leave the EU: " A member state which decides to withdraw shall notify the Council of its intention... The Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that state, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal."

What it means:

It was always the case that a member state could leave by simply repealing its own legislation. Now there is a formal procedure designed to show that the EU is a voluntary association. However a departing member would have to agree terms so there is an implied threat that it would not be that easy.

This clause is presumably designed never to be used.
+
post 13.Dec.2006, 12:11 AM
Post #11

the EU is sometimes called the united states of europe.

if there is any "comparative value" in the two entities, i'm now very curious to know if there's any provision in the US constitution for a state to secede?

the civil war is making me guess that if there is one on paper, it's not really an option in practice.
+
*Arca*
post 13.Dec.2006, 12:19 AM
Post #12

I think it would be a huge failure for all of EU if one nation wanted to leave. Nations should want to be a member.
+
Mike
post 13.Dec.2006, 12:20 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (007)
the EU is sometimes called the united states of europe.

if there is any "comparative value" in the two entities, i'm now very curious to know if there's any provision in the US constitution for a state to secede?

the civil war is making me guess that if there is one on paper, it's not really an option in practice.

The constitution makes no claims of permanency. In fact, when some states ratified the constitution, they specifically reserved the right to secede at any time.

The civil war was entirely Lincoln's fault. He could have let the south secede, but he wasn't about to let all that tax income go.
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 13.Dec.2006, 12:22 AM
Post #14

1. EU is more undemocartic than Sweden. People deciding in the commisions ARE NOT ELECTED. People with this power in Sweden are elected (but not even the swedish system are perfectly democratic)
2. EU commisions and politicians have too little knowledge about Sweden, because prejudices are not knowledge.
3. Swedes pays a too high price for a mambership which will never benefit them. Seems like them pay to get rid of their jobs and inustry. (Sweden should have a free membership. Poland pays a small amount, but gives little back to the EU community. Inflation maybe...)
+
post 13.Dec.2006, 12:27 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Mike)
The constitution makes no claims of permanency. In fact, when some states ratified the constitution, they specifically reserved the right to secede at any time.

thanks mike. might have to take a deeper look into that. interesting to say the least.
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: