The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Pregnant and potential new job in Sweden

To tell or not to tell

luulou09
post 30.Jun.2018, 11:29 AM
Post #1

I finally have my chance at a "real" job here in Sweden after a year and a half of searching. I haven't been offered the job yet but I have the final interview and meeting next week and I am feeling pretty confident about it. It's more just coming in, seeing the office and getting some formalities out of the way. I've been verbally told I have the job. The issue is...I just found out I'm 7 weeks pregnant. Still early and we don't want to mention it to people just to be cautious.

I'm from the US originally where my last company, due to being smaller than 50 people, "generously" offered me 4 weeks of unpaid maternity leave. Nice huh?. If I still lived in the US I would take the job and tell them later with no remorse as I would only be out for 6 weeks maximum. I think they can handle that.

Here on the other hand, due to my partner making much more than me, I'll be staying home with the baby for a year until they can go to dagis. Unless we can find a private option that would take the baby at 6/7 months. It's an office job so I'll work up until a couple weeks from the due date.

I know legally, they can't fire me for being pregnant. But let's be honest, it happens more often than it should especially since I'll have a 6-month provanställning before getting a permanent contract. They could easily make up something to get rid of me. But it also seems weird to accept the job without mentioning I'm pregnant and will be leaving in 8 months and then be gone for a year. Seems pretty shitty to do on my part.

Any advice on this? I'm not at all used to such generous parental leave and I am having trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that a company is fine with people leaving for a year or more and them holding the job. Especially if it's a new hire. Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page
+
wallace1837
post 30.Jun.2018, 01:33 PM
Post #2

Don't tell anyone.
+
bonviveur
post 30.Jun.2018, 04:53 PM
Post #3

take a job and do not tell them, maternity leave is paid by state not the company you will work for, do not see any damage done to employer
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 1.Jul.2018, 04:22 PM
Post #4

I remember employers asking women whether they were planning to be pregnant anytime soon during job interviews.

I also saw women being cancelled their assignment due to changes in the company, right after they had their parental leave... So a lot of marketing about sweden and their work balance but in practice you shouldn't tell anybody about your intentions of having a baby.

Sadly many scandinavian countries like to say they love equality and work balance but in reality things are very different.
+
Svedallas
post 2.Jul.2018, 10:10 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (luulou09 @ 30.Jun.2018, 12:29 PM) *
I finally have my chance at a "real" job here in Sweden after a year and a half of searching. I haven't been offered the job yet but I have the final interview a ... (show full quote)

Even if you do get a job...you will be on a trial basis.
Then after 3 months, they can decide to offer it to you or not. I say it depends if you have a completely unique skill, and have high qualifications, they may decide to extend it to a permanent job. Otherwise, they will replace you..
+
ChocOwl
post 2.Jul.2018, 10:31 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 1.Jul.2018, 05:22 PM) *
I remember employers asking women whether they were planning to be pregnant anytime soon during job interviews.I also saw women being cancelled their assignment due to changes ... (show full quote)

Did the employers get reported? This is not allowed according to the Discrimination Act AFAIK.
+
Svedallas
post 2.Jul.2018, 01:42 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (ChocOwl @ 2.Jul.2018, 11:31 AM) *
Did the employers get reported? This is not allowed according to the Discrimination Act AFAIK.

There is no point. You need a very very strong case. And hard evidence.
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 2.Jul.2018, 06:26 PM
Post #8

How can you report anything like that when you need the job?.

One thing is the regulations and another what one can do in the real world. Sometimes and I speak from personal experience, I just can't do anything because my job maybe lost.

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 2.Jul.2018, 02:42 PM) *
There is no point. You need a very very strong case. And hard evidence.

That is true. Sadly.
+
elliha
post 3.Jul.2018, 10:28 AM
Post #9

Only an idiot would tell an employer they are pregnant that early. No, go ahead and show them that you are doing a good job and maybe they will not care and if they fire you at least you have something on your CV later on.

Check if it is really impossible for your husband to stay at home with the child for a while, many high earners get extra money if they do stay at home and if you work your salary will be covering the rest. That is if they want to keep you employed and it is not 100% that they will not, I have friends getting jobs while heavily pregnant or in your situation that did get to keep their jobs. If it is a good employer there is still hope.
+
Svedallas
post 3.Jul.2018, 10:56 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 2.Jul.2018, 07:26 PM) *
How can you report anything like that when you need the job?.One thing is the regulations and another what one can do in the real world. Sometimes and I speak from personal ex ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (elliha @ 3.Jul.2018, 11:28 AM) *
Only an idiot would tell an employer they are pregnant that early. No, go ahead and show them that you are doing a good job and maybe they will not care and if they fire you a ... (show full quote)

I agree but do not agree.
Some companies prefer honesty and that gives them even more of a reason to keep you.

If you lie or not tell them, you will look like a fool.

Let's say that they find out, and they ask you - and they tell you that they would have kept you if you had only been honest.

As an employer, I would want only employees - especially new ones, to be honest.
Nothing worse knowing that I have employed someone who cheated me from their first day.

Also. Karma.
+
john.boy
post 3.Jul.2018, 10:22 PM
Post #11

It is allowed in Sweden. They can even ask during a job interview, however they are not allowed to use the response to that question as part of the decision to hire or not hire (try and prove they did!).
QUOTE (luulou09 @ 30.Jun.2018, 12:29 PM) *
since I'll have a 6-month provanställning before getting a permanent contract. They could easily make up something to get rid of me.

An employer does not need to have/state any reason for terminating an employee during provanställning.

You are under absolutely no obligation to tell your employer that you are pregnant. However, during the next 6 months they will either believe you have eaten too many cookies and cakes during fika, or realise you are pregnant ;-)

One piece of advice is to leave it until it starts to show, the closer you get towards the end of provanställning the better, before telling them. Whilst the employer can terminate without a reason, the closer to the end of provanställning, with no indication it will be terminated, then if they terminate after you tell them, before end of provanställning, there is a proven discrimination case where the judgement was that it was highly likely that the employment was terminated due to the revelation of pregnancy.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 3.Jul.2018, 11:22 PM
Post #12

Post #10 by "S"...

Is the correct solution to this question/situation...

In life, honesty will take you a lot farther than anything else...
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 4.Jul.2018, 07:39 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 3.Jul.2018, 11:56 AM) *
I agree but do not agree.Some companies prefer honesty and that gives them even more of a reason to keep you.If you lie or not tell them, you will look like a fool. Let's ... (show full quote)

If you are telling me a woman needs to tell an employer whether she is planning to get pregnant... Then that employer doesn't deserve my trust.

A good employer cannot judge an employee based on a question like that. Because that's clearly discrimination.

So the woman is in clear disadvantage in an job interview and sees her chances to get that job down to the toilet just because she has the right to keep her private life, private.
+
Svedallas
post 5.Jul.2018, 03:29 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 4.Jul.2018, 08:39 PM) *
If you are telling me a woman needs to tell an employer whether she is planning to get pregnant... Then that employer doesn't deserve my trust. A good employer cannot judg ... (show full quote)

Read again. That is not the point. Do not know where you come from, but for the most part, sweden embrace people with families.

What they do not like is dishonest people! Good luck.
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 5.Jul.2018, 07:10 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 5.Jul.2018, 04:29 PM) *
Read again. That is not the point. Do not know where you come from, but for the most part, sweden embrace people with families.. What they do not like is dishonest people! Good luck.

I don't know where you come from but in my country that means passive intrusive. It's illegal to ask a woman whether she is planning to get pregnant.

In my country we do not like dishonest people!, ;-)... Got it?. Good luck.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: