The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
16 Pages V  « < 14 15 16   Reply to this topic

Job in Sweden for Foreigners

Is it easy to find it?

Mistress_Of_Doom
post 30.Aug.2017, 08:51 AM
Post #226

Wow, 2 years to find the job you want. What jobs are you people applying for o_O
Go to the top of the page
+
Tenacious185
post 30.Aug.2017, 10:12 AM
Post #227

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 28.Aug.2017, 04:24 PM) *
Congratulations on getting a good job. You obviously went in with the right attitude and, as your forum name suggests, you stuck with it until you were successful. Let that ... (show full quote)

Thank you for that, Bsmith...but in the sake of fairness, I admit that I got extremely discouraged more than once during my first couple of years here, because it is true that no matter how determined you are, being foreign and speaking crappy Swedish WILL set you back.

I considered throwing in the towel and leaving the country (or just laying down and dying in a snowbank, completely pickled in cheap vodka) several times, but the more I watched my expat friends give up and go back to their home countries (including one who had both full time employment AND Swedish citizenship after 3 years) the more determined I became to motor on. I went from being dejected to utterly pissed off. The fact that it is so hard to make it here, even for educated and hard-working people, irked me - and if there's one thing that will infuriate me to the point of blind stupidity, it's being told I can't do something, or I'll fail if I try.

And all that said, I'm still waiting on renewal of my permit, and I'm one of many in the "21-23 month wait for student to sambo permit" cue...so I'm working full time, plus an extra 40 hours a month at a second job to save money for a costly fight if there's a technicality in my application that gets me rejected. I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I got kind of good at doing that. wink.gif
+
Tenacious185
post 30.Aug.2017, 10:17 AM
Post #228

QUOTE (Mistress_Of_Doom @ 30.Aug.2017, 09:51 AM) *
Wow, 2 years to find the job you want. What jobs are you people applying for o_O

Hi, Mistress - I was applying for just about anything I had experience in, and could do. So, I did find SOME work immediately, but it was positions I was overqualified for that were underchallenging and not terribly well paid. Jobs in my professional field were scarce and competitive, so I always lost out to a native Swede, even when they had less education or experience than I did.

Finally a position came up which had very niche requirements that were a bit unusual, that also happened to match my background to a T. So, I finally landed a job I'm happy with, and not just "settling for". But it took a while...
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 31.Aug.2017, 08:01 AM
Post #229

Yeah I get that, but what is your dream job? I think that might be the problem a lot of people are facing, coming here with a high degree/qualification and being left with basic jobs. I came here as a chef and found a chef job that I can be proud of to put on my CV, in 4 months.
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 31.Aug.2017, 08:04 AM
Post #230

And btw I still don't speak Swedish. So far it seems like nobody minds speaking English to me.
+
wetback
post 31.Aug.2017, 11:31 AM
Post #231

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 30.Aug.2017, 11:12 AM) *
...cheap vodka...

good luck finding that here
+
Tenacious185
post 31.Aug.2017, 11:42 AM
Post #232

QUOTE (Mistress_Of_Doom @ 31.Aug.2017, 09:01 AM) *
Yeah I get that, but what is your dream job? I think that might be the problem a lot of people are facing, coming here with a high degree/qualification and being left with bas ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Mistress_Of_Doom @ 31.Aug.2017, 09:04 AM) *
And btw I still don't speak Swedish. So far it seems like nobody minds speaking English to me.

That's great news! Glad you were able to find something so quick! I think restaurants are a bit more permissive with chefs as there is a high demand for them, and many foreigners work in restaurants and hotels - so they're used to it. English is really important and highly regarded in the service industry, so it really helps, even if your Swedish is not great.

I never had any issues with people not being ok speaking English with me either, but with many Swedish companies, and for certain roles, fluent Swedish is a strict requirement. My background is in healthcare, and if I wanted to work in a hospital for instance, I must know Swedish. However, I was able to get an administrative role at a health agency with an international client base, so English was the required language for that particular post. But I had to wait a long time for such a job to appear, and most places, as you might have read, tend to "hire from within" without ever publicly posting the jobs. Nepotism is another huge obstacle here as well.
+
Tenacious185
post 31.Aug.2017, 11:43 AM
Post #233

QUOTE (wetback @ 31.Aug.2017, 12:31 PM) *
good luck finding that here

Haha! That rot-gut "Explorer" brand will do in a pinch. laugh.gif
+
mariekanter
post 7.Sep.2017, 04:23 PM
Post #234

and you greetings and good luck
+

16 Pages V  « < 14 15 16
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: