The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Life in Lulea

Share your experience

gplusa
post 7.Sep.2010, 12:46 PM
Post #16

Well, it's a kick arse day in Luleå today, if that helps. I've got a friend in Boden who has also hails from Ireland, and he tells me that anything beats an Irish winter. I'll take his word for that. The snow generally arrives in around mid November, and stays until probably some time in March. The spring thaw is probably the worst time, I would have to say. Quite a bit of surface water around the countryside until the ground thaws properly, and a few mouldy fungus spores flying around. Right now the leaves are JUST starting to change colour.
Go to the top of the page
+
Beatochka
post 7.Sep.2010, 12:47 PM
Post #17

Tell me, how is the Swedish language? Do you all speak it? I mean, the ones of you, who are not born Swedes... smile.gif Is it difficult to learn? I read, that there are good schools and courses for people coming from different countries to live in Sweden? (Julie talked about her son) Has any of you finished such course for adults?
+
gplusa
post 7.Sep.2010, 12:52 PM
Post #18

You do really need to have Swedish as a language up here. I'm rather envious of the people in southern areas who seem to be able to survive quite happily with English. Doesn't really work so well up here. I've been through adult language classes both in Luleå and in Boden. First as a day student and then with evening classes. It's pretty hard to just "pick it up as you go", so I'd really recommend a formal class. So that you can understand the hows and whys. I went cold turkey after 6 months and stopped speaking English. Kind of spoke like Yoda for quite a long time after that, but it did give faster progress.
+
Beatochka
post 7.Sep.2010, 12:56 PM
Post #19

Irish weather is a topic of its own, believe me... Very little difference between seasons. I am not Irish myslef, but I learned over the years to like the weather here. I had no choice... I like snowy winter and I love Autumn even more. I was a bit scared of the lenght of the winter in Lulea and the darkness in particular... I suppose it will take some time to adjust, get used to new conditions, climate, new HOME. No point to dishearten ourselves before we even come and see...
+
gplusa
post 7.Sep.2010, 01:05 PM
Post #20

The darkness isn't so bad, or maybe that's just me. Remember that the sun does get above the horizon in Luleå. Just. So there is some daylight. When the snow comes, it reflects every speck of light, so things actually get brighter. It does blow a bit in Luleå, being a harbour city. And it can be a bit of a crisp wind when it comes in off the frozen sea during winter. Which is why I only work there and don't live there. But the infrastructure is designed to deal very well with the climatic conditions. Our home is never colder than 24 degrees inside, no matter what the temperature is outdoors, and the footpaths on the major inner city streets are heated to ensure there's no snow or ice lying on them. It's better conditions than we had in New Zealand.
+
Beatochka
post 7.Sep.2010, 01:05 PM
Post #21

smile.gif well, it's a challenge...Life-long-learning... Thanks for all your replies and sincerity.
+
Rikey
post 8.Oct.2010, 01:23 AM
Post #22

AH, You are from New Zealand. Now that makes sense.

Life in the north is Hard. This people posting are real tough and they don't complain.

I almost went nuts in Stockholm much less Lulea. These are one tough cookies.They write like it is like Majorca.GL.

Where in NZ.did you come from. I bet the South Island. Queenstown??? Clearly not Auckland.
+
*dsr10*
post 12.Feb.2012, 09:03 PM
Post #23

Hi

I have read your add, regarding your relocation to Lulea. I am relocating to Lulea shortly. I am from Norway.
Could you please let me know, what is like Lulea society and people? I have read some articles on net regarding, racism and discrimination in Sweden. Honestly I got scared. I am just about to reject my job offer in Lulea but I love the role. I am in a huge dilemma.
Could you please let me know what the truth is?
You are from Ireland; I worked in Ireland for 3 years and I love it.
Any info, it would be much appreciate.

Regards
DSR
+
*honeybadger*
post 22.Feb.2012, 10:18 AM
Post #24

Hi dsr10, I recently moved to Lulea, in January of 2012 to be with my sambo. I previously lived in Ireland for 4 years. I personally haven't experienced any racism here but since I live with my sambo, I don't get a chance to meet people outside his circle of friends.

I don't know how it would be in the workplace here but if you do choose to come here for work, let me know of your experiences as one day, I too will be looking for work when I learn Swedish. biggrin.gif

I personally struggle from boredom at the moment since I originally come from such a huge city and my own personal experiences are that my sambo doesn't really make any new friends, he just continues to visit the same small circle of existing ones.

Perhaps I would get to make more friends if I was able to find work or when I start to study. Anyway, I'm happy to talk more about any questions you might have.

Best of luck to you!
+
*Whimad*
post 27.Oct.2013, 02:03 PM
Post #25

Hi I'm going on exchange to lulea and would like to know more about the lifestyle there i.e. what you guys do during your free time.

thanks!
+
jasmith
post 22.Aug.2014, 11:36 AM
Post #26

In this discussion every member has shared good information about Lulea. This place sounds good. After reading your shared knowledge about this place I decided to go there. In coming up next month I would be free from my exams so; I have planed to go there with my younger sister and elder brother. Both of them loves to explore the world. I hope we will enjoy there. Anyone like to give me some tips to follow during my tour.
+
RL1993
post 6.Apr.2018, 03:30 PM
Post #27

Hi all!

I'm moving upto Lulea to work on a Facebook data centre.

I'm 24 from Ireland, and I've did some research on Lulea. It seems quite remote from everywhere else?

I've tried to google a lot of this info but it's better to hear it from locals I figured! I am working for an Irish construction company and I'll have a few work colleagues but most of them are all married/older. I will be working on a 3 weeks on 1 week off roster - so rather than fly home to Ireland I may just stay up in Lulea and travel a bit on my week off. The company has arranged apartment accommodation for us in the centre of Lulea town/city.

I don't speak Swedish but I definitely want to learn it, I think it's always positive to make the effort of speaking to the locals in their mother tongue in any country (even if I'm hard to understand!)

Are there many nightlife options? Like pubs/nightclubs during the week or at the weekends? I'm aware that there are a few universities in the town.

Are there plenty of activities to keep you occupied at the weekends? Are there many gyms or fitness centres.

I'm just back from Australia and basically I suppose what I'm saying is - would I be better off staying in Dublin for lifestyle/quality of life rather than moving upto Lulea? If I thought it was a fairly remote area with not much happening (no disrespect) I don't think I'd like it, particularly in the Winter if it's dark for a lot of the day? I do get bouts of depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder could affect it.

I have lived away from home in New York for 3 months and Australia for 6 months but this project will be 18 months or so. I'm conscious that it could be a great experience but also a bit of a culture shock moving to Sweden, and potentially quite lonely if there isn't much of a scene for young people.

I do realise that Sweden continously tops the polls every year for the worldwide happiness scale and best places to live etc.

Any info on this from a Swedish local perspective would be greatly appreciated, and apologies if I've taken a negative view of this - I just want to make the right decision rather than move up there then tell my employer I don't like it!

Thanks in advance.
+
intrepidfox
post 6.Apr.2018, 05:34 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (RL1993 @ 6.Apr.2018, 02:30 PM) *
Hi all!I'm moving upto Lulea to work on a Facebook data centre.I'm 24 from Ireland, and I've did some research on Lulea. It seems quite remote from everywhere ... (show full quote)

This might give you a bit of info.

http://visitlulea.se/en/besoekare/tellus/category/289

They even have an o´learys pub
+
gplusa
post 8.Apr.2018, 10:01 PM
Post #29

If you are coming for the DC project, you will be working 7-7, 6 days a week. So I would not worry about filling in your hours during your work roster. As an earlier poster mentioned, there are a couple of Irish bars in town. If you are a big city partygoer then you probably want to go somewhere else for your off-site rotation. You need to allow 6 hours door to door from Luleå to Dublin. You should be a bit careful posting on the forums. Most people know who the end user of the project is, but you do have an NDA. Might see you around on site.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: