The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Using a voip phone on a PC

Calls to the UK

intrepidfox
post 6.Jan.2015, 06:26 PM
Post #1

For years i've been using skype and freecall.com but in the last 3 -4 months it's been such a bad reception. Are there any other good sites that i could try that have decent quality, where you do not keep having to say "hello, i can't hear you"?
Ta
Go to the top of the page
+
agw9262
post 6.Jan.2015, 07:57 PM
Post #2

Hi, I have been using Localphone for quite some time now, it's cheap and seems to work very well (calling UK from Sweden). That said if you're having problems with more than one service, it could be your IP provider - SIP uses UDP instead of TCP as a protocol and many IP providers reduce bandwidth and quality of service for such protocols since the "things" that use them should be tolerant of lost/delayed data...

Try local phone otherwise you might need a chat with your provider.
+
Gordy
post 6.Jan.2015, 08:19 PM
Post #3

I have been using voip for years but never use it directly on the PC precisely because of the call quality problems you seem to be having.

I use a voip adapter connected to my router and a dect cordless phone, The adapter is one like this which are cheap to buy on ebay.

I use two different PAYG accounts Cellip with a Swedish phone number and Blueface for an Irish number, so I'm afraid I can't give you a recommendation for a UK provider but on a quick Google a PAYG account from Connexin looks interesting. SipGate is another possibility.

Certainly the call quality I have with Cellip and Blueface is the same as having a proper landline.

If you have an Android phone you also have the possibility to use an app such as CsipSimple and set up your voip account directly on your smartphone and use it either with wifi or mobile internet connection.
+
intrepidfox
post 6.Jan.2015, 08:26 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (agw9262 @ 6.Jan.2015, 07:57 PM) *
Hi, I have been using Localphone for quite some time now, it's cheap and seems to work very well (calling UK from Sweden). That said if you're having problems with mo ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Gordy @ 6.Jan.2015, 08:19 PM) *
I have been using voip for years but never use it directly on the PC precisely because of the call quality problems you seem to be having.I use a voip adapter connected to my ... (show full quote)

Thanks for your advice. I dont have a smart phone or what ever they are called but i will try your suggestions
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Jan.2015, 09:43 PM
Post #5

I have an Ooma...buy the machine hook it up to your internet connection...and...pay nothing but state tax, etc about $2.00 US every month...can call all over the US and no charge...Don't they exist in Europe???

Excellent call quality and you can see your records on a web site...even play back voice mail there!!!
+
Micardo
post 6.Jan.2015, 09:47 PM
Post #6

I use Skype and have the same problem with call quality, but as I use a UK dial in number its difficult to change. Just switched to 4G so hope it will be better. Perhaps the problem is the North Koreans and their hand held lasers ?
+
Gordy
post 7.Jan.2015, 07:20 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Micardo @ 6.Jan.2015, 09:47 PM) *
I use Skype and have the same problem with call quality, but as I use a UK dial in number its difficult to change. Just switched to 4G so hope it will be better. Perhaps the ... (show full quote)

It's not actually a problem to port your UK number from Skype to another provider. When you have decided which new provider you want to use just advise them what the number is and they will put in a port request to Skype. Skype will contact you to confirm the request and it should go through within a few days.
+
Micardo
post 7.Jan.2015, 10:28 PM
Post #8

Thanks for the info. I will try it on 4G for a while first
+
intrepidfox
post 31.Mar.2015, 06:12 PM
Post #9

I now use Vyke for phone calls and oovoo for video calls as skype is absolutely rubbish
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: