The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Educated Australian - Where are the jobs?

Is there anything out there?

Furu
post 13.Jan.2010, 07:37 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (mc87 @ 13.Jan.2010, 06:25 PM) *
Thanks Furu. I guess that leaves me in a fairly bad position: no jobs in Sweden, no visa for Denmark. I will wait the 3 months to get into the Swedish course and see if that i ... (show full quote)

Forgot to mention, with Swedish Citizenship you could work in Denmark but apart from categories mentioned above by "Renfeh Hguh" you can apply after 5 years of residence.
Go to the top of the page
+
hilt_m
post 13.Jan.2010, 09:05 PM
Post #17

Mate finding work in Sweden is really hard. Once you are in the Swedish for Immigrants check out arbetsförmedlingen and a thing called instegsjobb. Basically it's where an employer only pays you a little and the gov kicks in the rest. This is what I'm going for at the moment, but you can only do it when you are studying SFI.

Or you could always open your own business and be the boss, that's what I'm going to do so I'm studying at SFF.
Good luck with the job hunt, remember networking is the key in Sweden, know a bloke that knows a bloke ect.
+
RMZ
post 13.Jan.2010, 09:17 PM
Post #18

Boo hoo, no jobs in sweden. I can remember reading the same types of posts about 10 months back when I was looking forward to coming here. It sounds pretty damn dim if you listen to most here. I even remember some being arbetslös for several years, whining that there is no work for anyone and especially not foreigners. Well thats all bull.

When I arrived I immediately signed up for sfi (this is important). Once you receive confirmation that you will be attending these courses you become elligible for insteggsjob and nystartsjob. These are monetary incentives for companies to hire new arrivals here in Sweden. Go to arbetsförmedlingen and talk to someone about these. Make sure they explain them to you and let you know about eligibility. You have to ask direct questions (in my experience) if you want to get any good information.

Also, you can do a praktik. This is a very low paying internship. The government pays you and you are basically free labor for a company. About 200 kronors a day.

Do not just sit in front of your comp and apply to jobs online or just in the newspaper. Get yourself outside and walk to every business that is open. Ask to speak to people who make the hiring decisions. Write a small letter about yourself and education and why youre there, etc... and give it to them.

In my experience... I got a praktik for 2 months, then I started sfi, then I walked arond and found a job cleaning at a restaurant. I now have swedish letters of recomendation, work experience in sweden and references.

I was just offered a new job which I hope to be accepting shortly.

All in all there is hope! Be proactive. You're a native english speaker too and yo can use that to your advantage.

make your own luck
+
skane refugee
post 13.Jan.2010, 09:37 PM
Post #19

As RMZ says ... being active and making your own luck is definitely the way to go if you're determined to stay ...

waiting around for some Swedish course to start before learning the language seems way too passive to me ... when I needed to learn the language I borrowed a Swedish in 3 months book and tapes from a local UK library and completed it in 3 weeks (lets face it learning an obscure language is tedious, painful and a waste of mental energy ... so get it over with as quick as you can)

... I reckon you could get a decent grounding in Swedish way before your SFI course starts

Best of luck!
+
mc87
post 14.Jan.2010, 09:42 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (skane refugee @ 13.Jan.2010, 09:37 PM) *
waiting around for some Swedish course to start before learning the language seems way too passive to me ... when I needed to learn the language I borrowed a Swedish in 3 mont ... (show full quote)

Thanks mate. I have bought the Rossetta Stone program and slowly starting to get a general grasp on Swedish. I hope to be able to communicate in Swedish before my SFI starts.
+
mc87
post 14.Jan.2010, 09:52 AM
Post #21

Thanks heaps RMZ,
The reason I joined on this website and wrote the post is because I wanted some solid advice on how to continue my search for employment. Thanks for the tips mate.
+
andiel
post 14.Jan.2010, 08:19 PM
Post #22

Hi There!!!
I am from Australia also and moved here with my Swedish boyfriend at the start of December. I was absolutely terrified after reading all of the posts about lack of work etc. I have two degrees and great work experience and left a good job in Finance to come over here. I knew that the chances of getting a job in my field were pretty slim because I dont know Swedish so I decided to send off my resume to a whole heap of International Schools. Within a week I had a call from a small independent school in Stockholm and I now work there about 30 hours a week as an English Teacher (apparently over here you dont need a Teaching qualification to teach). Although it may not be exactly what you are looking for, with your qualifications I would think you might have a good chance as an English Teacher or Teacher´s Assistant. It´s not exactly what I want to do, but it is paying the bills while I learn Swedish and look for somethng else! Good Luck!!!!!
+
mc87
post 15.Jan.2010, 09:43 AM
Post #23

Thanks, I will give it a go!
+
just a question
post 15.Jan.2010, 10:44 AM
Post #24

Being an English speaker "maybe" you can find a job as a teacher of English. But sooner or later you'll need your teacher license. Cause you cannot teach in Sweden without a Swedish teacher license.

Anyway, the Australian, American or British immigrant has more "status" and is better considered than the immigrant that comes from Colombia, Greece, Spain...
+
byke
post 15.Jan.2010, 10:54 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (just a question @ 15.Jan.2010, 10:44 AM) *
Anyway, the Australian, American or British immigrant has more "status" and is better considered than the immigrant that comes from Colombia, Greece, Spain...

I dont believe this is true anymore.
+
Streja
post 15.Jan.2010, 01:18 PM
Post #26

You don't need a teacher's license in Sweden but you can't get a permanent job and you get a lower salary than qualified teachers.

streja - a teacher
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: