The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11   Reply to this topic

Swedish neutrality and Thatcher's view on it.

The iron lady and blonde interviewer

skogsbo
post 7.Mar.2012, 05:12 PM
Post #151

QUOTE (SimonDMontfort @ 7.Mar.2012, 03:29 PM) *
Please join us in the 21st century laugh.gif

Just please don't mention the war!

QUOTE (Trowbridge H. Ford @ 7.Mar.2012, 04:01 PM) *
Think of all the asteroids that scientists are predicting to hit the earth,

there is one due to pass quite close next year, within the orbit of some satelittes, but not really that big and only an issue if it hits earth relatively close to where you lived.
Go to the top of the page
+
BritVik
post 7.Mar.2012, 05:54 PM
Post #152

QUOTE (Trowbridge H. Ford @ 7.Mar.2012, 05:01 PM) *
. . . .Either there is a God and he is finally taking us into his sights or else this is the beginning of the biggest space race ever (take note JJ.) to deflect them away.And ... (show full quote)

Surely Trow the answer to that will come from Bruce Willis. he has already done a good job, I believe, in saving earth in similar circumstances

huh.gif
+
SimonDMontfort
post 7.Mar.2012, 06:08 PM
Post #153

skogsbo

post Today, 17:12
Post #151

QUOTE (SimonDMontfort @ 7.Mar.2012, 03:29 PM) *
Please join us in the 21st century laugh.gif

Just please don't mention the war!

"I did but I think I got away with it" laugh.gif
+
jack sprat
post 7.Mar.2012, 10:15 PM
Post #154

Yeh, but that was the Crimean,...wasn't it ?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 8.Mar.2012, 02:04 AM
Post #155

QUOTE (Trowbridge H. Ford @ 7.Mar.2012, 05:01 PM) *
Right Simon. Think of all the asteroids that scientists are predicting to hit the earth, ones which will destroy cities or continents - like the one on February 1, 2019, then ... (show full quote)

My esteemed Mr. Ford,

I think you have secret information that you are keeping to yourself.

We here at The Local have the impression that the earth as we know it, will end in December, 2012 according to the Mayan calendar.

You have given me/us hope for a few years additional survival, your network of information seekers must really be on the ball and we hope that soon you will reveal the truth about the misguided Mayan plot to finish us off.

I know that there were political cabals afoot in those days too and yet you still must use caution to reveal your sources, because as we all know the descendants of those plotters will try to discredit any theory involving Mayan intentions.

Thank goodness all we have to worry about is a few big rocks now, at least we have knowledge about when and where they will strike...I do believe that further revelations from your sources will be in disagreement with those predictions and we will live happily ever after.

TG, I can get a good sleep tonight.laugh.gif
+
BritVik
post 8.Mar.2012, 11:50 AM
Post #156

A steroid hit the earth
+
Snood
post 8.Mar.2012, 12:36 PM
Post #157

Hydrocortisone?
+
*adam11*
post 29.Apr.2012, 10:06 AM
Post #158

Sweden stood by the sidelines while Hitler's army marched through Europe and after the war watched passively as the Iron Curtain descended in the east. Sweden has a democracy today thanks to those countries which bravely fought the tyrranical governments of the twentieth century with blood, sweat and tears. Sweden's passivity in the face of tyranny is no virtue! Sweden benefitted greatly both economically and politcally thanks to the efforts of others; Sweden even received Marshall Plan aid after the war. What this all means in geopolitical terms is that Sweden is not a relaible partner, since it lets other countries do the hard work while itself watches aloofly and pontificates on the virtues of neutrality.World War II ended, the Cold War ended but the international arena is as dangerous and unstable as ever. I predict that in the future, as in the past, Sweden will just stand by and expect NATO, or the US or Britain to take action when and where that action is needed, while at the same time shamelessly criticizing these actions in the name of peace and neutrality.
+
Yorkshireman
post 29.Apr.2012, 10:39 AM
Post #159

During WW2 Sweden remained neutral, as defined in the 1907 Hague convention, that the UK never signed. Claims that Sweden abused it's neutralilty by profiting from sales to both sides are unfounded, since the definiiton of neutrality in the 1907 convention, is different from the generally accepted common knowledge belief of the word! biggrin.gif

Sweden sold Iron ore and coal to Germany, and Bearings to the UK for aircraft manufacture. Plus it "loaned" 100 of merchant vessels to the allies for goods transport.

Belief is that Germany did not invade Sweden, as it didn't want the conflict to interrupts the vital supply of Iron Ore or Coal. However, when the allies invaded northern Norway, they extended that invasion into Northern Sweden to capture and disrupt the mines, with strict instructions that if they encountered armed resistance they were to take it easy!

Sweden's neutrality was indirectly welcomed by allies and nazis, as it gave a safe place for diplomancy and continued trade agreements to be ironed out.

Remember also, that Sweden received 1000's of Jews that were escaping the Nazis, a safe haven in troubled times, from Denmark alone came 8000+

By 1945, Sweden had indeed started to enter in the final planning of liberating Denmark, and Norway alongside the allies, but it's involvement proved unnecessary since the allied operations were successful on their own.

There is much behind the scenes of Sweden's neutrality that is often overlooked, since the focus tends to be on the profit from trade aspect. For example: When the germans invaded Norway, they asked Sweden if they could use the telegraph lines between Norway-Sweden-Germany for communications, Sweden agreed, and bugged the lines, cracked the encryption used, and gained advance warnings of military movements. smile.gif
+
sometimesinsweden
post 17.Jun.2012, 12:19 AM
Post #160

I don't really have an opinion on the Swedish governments behaviour during WW2 as don't know enough about it or have the interest to find out, but what I have noticed from my partner and her friends, who are mainly of a left-wing protest bias, is that they make a lot of noise about fashionable topics, yet disappear very quickly and go quiet when it comes to resolving problems beyond the initial protest.

Growing up in Rhodesia in the late 70s, it was accepted that the Scandis were supplying funds that were used to buy arms for ZIPRA and ZANLA, plus their governments were donating rat-packs for the armed groups, such was their justified hatred of minority rule based on racial grounds. However, the complete lack of action from the once-noisey protest groups regarding the actions of Mugabe regarding the murder and intimidation of the people of ZIm and the removal of democracy seems very hypocritical. Their governments are also being very quiet on the current corruption of the ANC and the sell-off of African national assets to the Chinese which is resulting in a few African billionaires whilst levels of poverty remain extremely high.

To more modern matters, my infant son was wheeled in his pram to many protests in Gothenburg towards George Bush and his supposed personal wars in the MIddle East and the existence of Guantanamo prison but since Obama and the Democratic party have won victory, these protests have ended, despite Obama's administration quadrupling the number of drone-sanctioned killings occuring in the Middle East, which contravene a lot more ethical 'rules' than in GWBs time in power.

I would say that maybe it's Swedish/European propensity for fashionable loud protest to be seen to be saying the right thing over actual action, that is more of a problem than pretense neutrality as Thatcher aludes to in that clip.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 17.Jun.2012, 01:42 AM
Post #161

Another first day poster, Troll!
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 17.Jun.2012, 07:26 AM
Post #162

Just what one would expect when it is time to keep the highjacked thread from coming back on line - that book about 'The Shadow' just causing more questions about who killed Palme rather than answered them.

Palme certainly did better at maintaining Sweden's neutrality during the height of the Cold War - what resulted in his being assassinated, and PM Thatcher having much to answer for because of it.

She seems to have agreed to supplying his murderer when Washington could not find one of its own, and demanded that her government do something to get rid of the apparent Soviet stooge, though Palme was trying to strike a balance between the protagonists.

In her going along to suit her hatred of apparent communists, she risked losing the Cold War - what would have happened if the Soviets had not learned of it, and taken proper countermeasures to make sure that more shooting didn't start.

In short, Thatcher's misunderstanding of the difficulties of maintaining Swedish neutrality when the West, especially Reagan's rambos, was engaged in so many contradictory projects was no excuse for killing him, and risking the lives of the rest of us.
+
Jamtjim
post 17.Jun.2012, 09:04 AM
Post #163

BULLSHIT WARNING... Fraudy Fordy has discovered this thread!

Don't read if you care about the truth...
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 17.Jun.2012, 09:53 AM
Post #164

Just another false statement by our chief troll, jamtjim.

If he had bothered to even look at the thread, he could see that I discovered the thread over three months ago when I took his lie about leaving seriously, and came back, only to discover that he is part of the terminally ill site.
+
Jamtjim
post 17.Jun.2012, 10:20 AM
Post #165

BULLSHIT WARNING... Fraudy Fordy is still writing on this thread!

Don't read if you care about the truth...
+

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: