The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

How to close account and transfer money abroad

No account abroad yet

toddysho
post 20.Jan.2018, 03:20 PM
Post #1

Dear Localers,

I'm leaving Sweden and need to know how and if one can keep a Swedish bank account open after having de-registered at Skatteverket?-- I don't have a bank account abroad yet to which I can transfer the money. I'm worried that if I leave Sweden and hope to transfer the money remotely after having finally been able to open an account abroad, that the bank will close the account after I de-register or the money will be frozen or some other kind of horrible mess will happen.

Does anyone here have any experience in the matter? All I know is that, back in the US (where I'm going), if you don't keep your address updated, your account will be frozen.

Thanks for the advice.
Go to the top of the page
+
hatim
post 20.Jan.2018, 03:30 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (toddysho @ 20.Jan.2018, 03:20 PM) *
Dear Localers,I'm leaving Sweden and need to know how and if one can keep a Swedish bank account open after having de-registered at Skatteverket?-- I don't have a bank ... (show full quote)

The banks are legally obliged to keep an updated information about you and your address etc. Talk to your bank, if you can prove who you are on your US address they may not have a reason to close your account at all. You will retain your personal number when you move away from Sweden.
+
toddysho
post 20.Jan.2018, 03:48 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (hatim @ 20.Jan.2018, 03:30 PM) *
The banks are legally obliged to keep an updated information about you and your address etc. Talk to your bank, if you can prove who you are on your US address they may not ha ... (show full quote)

Thanks for the info. Do you know if it's possible to close the account while abroad, though? In the past, I've had to close (non-Swedish) bank accounts in person.
+
hatim
post 20.Jan.2018, 04:12 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (toddysho @ 20.Jan.2018, 03:48 PM) *
Thanks for the info. Do you know if it's possible to close the account while abroad, though? In the past, I've had to close (non-Swedish) bank accounts in person.

Talk to your bank, it might be possible to do so if you have a 2 factor authentication thing (over phone or in the app)
+
john.boy
post 23.Jan.2018, 08:29 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (toddysho @ 20.Jan.2018, 03:48 PM) *

Then don't close it, transfer everything except 1 SEK, then it will cost the bank more just to keep the current account open. Then you can, after a time, mention this to the bank and that it would be better for them that they just close the account without you present.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: