The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
192 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »    Closed Topic

Sweden's corona response

Is the country making the right choice?

cootje1976
post 23.Mar.2020, 08:32 PM
Post #91

QUOTE (Gamla H?lsingebock @ 23.Mar.2020, 07:51 PM) *
There are a lot of people not practicing "social distancing"...that may become very problematic...It seems that the Italian style of life has shown us that...close k ... (show full quote)

+1

The Netherlands just decided to sharpen the rules even more, just one step before a lockdown. I do believe that Sweden will at some point explode with new cases, it is just a matter of time. Probably it is already the case, but we will never know. Meanwile some idiots are still comparing the Swedish numbers as being 'favorable'compared to the rest, but the rest is actually doing a bit more testing then them.

And then that Tegnell fella; he is actually doing and saying a lot of things opposite of what the WHO dictates. Like the following statement:

" Det kommer lugna sig ordenligt maj ut. Vi har ett v?der som viruset inte tycker om p? samma s?tt och vi har f?rhoppningsvis s? pass m?nga immuna i samh?llet, s?ger han i SVT:s ?Agenda?."

The above is the exact same statement that the WHO clearly contradicts. And not only that if you check the spread in warm countries, it is more or less the same once transmission is in effect.

So this fool is seriously misinformed; outside of the fact that not that much is known about the virus, this is a horrible gamble. It's called 'Novel' because there is no shit yet that works against it, or at least not properly tested. Plus the mere fact that this guy is doing and saying this, is beyond me. But then again, maybe in a couple of years when this blows over we'll see what will be the end result.

Basically all is gone already:
No containment
No tracking
No testing

Then the PM comes on to give a statement. Thought it was going to be something special. Perhaps some tighter controls and measures? Smaller groups like any other country?
No. The same bullshit that they have been dictating from day one. Nothing less and nothing new.
I guess the Swedish way is to just put yer head in the sand and wait until it just blows over. The main reason as one Swede said today is to prevent 'panic'. Nonsense.
Panic is the one thing that got the Chinese to stop this in its tracks right now.

Panic
Take control
Containment
Enforcement

Hands down the best approach. Can it come back? Of course, but with the measures in place they have the tools to cut local transmission, which is exactly what happened. Most if not all of the new case are imported, and are detected because of the measures.

Europe had a 2 month head start that they fucked up. Europe is waking up, except... Sweden. All the way in the back of the bus..

Welcome to pandorum...
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 23.Mar.2020, 08:49 PM
Post #92

If you don't test, you won't find the bad news you don't want to hear. This thing will run and run.
+
Essingen55
post 23.Mar.2020, 08:54 PM
Post #93

This thing will run and run.

I beg to suggest it won't. They will change tactics when it is far too late...
+
skogsbo
post 23.Mar.2020, 09:06 PM
Post #94

QUOTE (Essingen55 @ 23.Mar.2020, 08:54 PM) *
I beg to suggest it won't. They will change tactics when it is far too late...

Like the UK.
+
cootje1976
post 24.Mar.2020, 05:28 AM
Post #95

+
Rick Methven
post 24.Mar.2020, 06:59 AM
Post #96

QUOTE (cootje1976 @ 23.Mar.2020, 08:32 PM) *
+1The Netherlands just decided to sharpen the rules even more, just one step before a lockdown. I do believe that Sweden will at some point explode with new cases, it is just ... (show full quote)

Tegnell counting on warmer weather to stop the virus should look at Australia where it is summer, it seems to be spreading well there despite the warm weather.
+
skogsbo
post 24.Mar.2020, 08:51 AM
Post #97

On many of the geeky stats graphs, none of the Nordics look to be on the same trajectory as Italy and Spain, but complacency could be just the break the virus needs. As the weather improves too many people will start chancing it. What we need is a really shit spring to stop people heading out together.
+
Ebco
post 24.Mar.2020, 08:56 AM
Post #98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOYYe546TT8
A must watch.
+
Gimp
post 24.Mar.2020, 03:27 PM
Post #99

+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 24.Mar.2020, 04:28 PM
Post #100

And Africa has locusts, its getting Biblical!!!
+
hoodrat
post 25.Mar.2020, 12:56 AM
Post #101

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 24.Mar.2020, 06:59 AM) *
Tegnell counting on warmer weather to stop the virus should look at Australia where it is summer, it seems to be spreading well there despite the warm weather.

No it's now well into autumn
+
bonviveur
post 25.Mar.2020, 07:54 AM
Post #102

governments need to choose economy or people.
these who choose people will destroy their economy and these who cares only about economy will do better financially but with much higher death rate.

+
Family_permit
post 25.Mar.2020, 08:30 AM
Post #103

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 24.Mar.2020, 08:51 AM) *
On many of the geeky stats graphs, none of the Nordics look to be on the same trajectory as Italy and Spain, but complacency could be just the break the virus needs. As the we ... (show full quote)

Are you stupid? There are no accurate graphs because Sweden is not testing.
+
skogsbo
post 25.Mar.2020, 08:43 AM
Post #104

QUOTE (Family_permit @ 25.Mar.2020, 08:30 AM) *
Are you stupid? There are no accurate graphs because Sweden is not testing.

Thankfully I'm not stupid.

Most countries have limited testing, only testing suspect cases and so on. Death rates tend to be proportional to population age and cases (confirmed or otherwise).

So approximate data can be drawn up. As i said nordics are not accelerating like some others, probably due to many factors..good internet so homeworking is easier, stand offish culture, lower population density (hotspots tend to be cities like Stockholm). Stockholm should be lock down, they think they are special and aren't taking it seriously enough.

I'm in no way suggesting the battle is won. I think the Nordic lock down should be tougher until mid April so folk don't travel over Easter etc..

Countries like the UK which has weak measures are about to get hammered.

Complacency will kill if measures are not tightened further.
+
Essingen55
post 25.Mar.2020, 10:06 AM
Post #105

I think you can only really look at the number of deaths in relation to population size to get an indication of policy success or otherwise. At the moment, there is little difference between three of the Nordic countries, but Finand's 1 death is starting to look remarkable.

Regardless of what rules are put into place, if we could all practice social distancing for a few weeks, this would resolve itself. But we don't seem able to do that.
+

192 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Closed Topic
14 User(s) are reading this topic (14 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: