The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Another Brit moving to Stockholm (sorry!)

Aj
post 31.Jul.2006, 10:27 AM
Post #1

Hey there

I am an english 24 year old girl, moving to Stockholm in January. I hope to study at the uni(I will learn swedish whilst there, i promise!) and probably work as a nanny to help fund my living expenses etc.

So I am basically 'networking' before I get there, I have quite a few friends in Stockholm, but mostly guys, so hearing from girls would be great.

Also any useful advice or tips are more than welcome!

Mandy
Go to the top of the page
+
Alfredo
post 31.Jul.2006, 11:46 AM
Post #2

Hi Aj

I don't live in Stockholm, and I'm not a girl, but I'm up for a chat about this and that, if you like?

What are you going to be studying?

I reckon you will be able to find a nannying job, relatively easily. First stop, is probably to talk to an acocüntant, sorry an acüntant, an accüntant, oh you know what I mean ...
+
Elisia1
post 31.Jul.2006, 11:50 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Alfredo)
Hi Aj

I don't live in Stockholm, and I'm not a girl, but I'm up for a chat about this and that, if you like?

What are you going to be studying?

I reckon you will be able to find a nannying job, relatively easily. First stop, is probably to talk to an -, sorry an -, an -, oh you know what I mean ...

Uppfora sig, Alfredo... laugh.gif

:wink: Welcome Aj! biggrin.gif
+
Aj
post 31.Jul.2006, 07:38 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the responses guys. Did you mean an Accountant? as in someone to deal with my finances?

Glad you think the nanny thing will be easy. I am a nanny at the mo, so have experience, but guess i have to wait until nearer the time to apply for jobs.

So where do you live Alfredo? thats not a swedish name surely!!

AJ
+
Temp
post 31.Jul.2006, 09:58 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Aj)
AJ

Hej Aj - your nickname made me smile and reminded me of when I first moved here and signed my emails as Aj (from the first letter of my first two names).

After a few months of emailing a friend asked me why I kept signing all of my emails with the word "Ouch!"

I had no idea at the time that the Sweidsh for "ouch!" is "aj" :-)

Good luck coming to Sthlm, it is a really really great place!!

// an ex Aj
+
Aj
post 31.Jul.2006, 10:37 PM
Post #6

Oh no! I had no idea either.. 'ouch' is not so bad though..kinda funny!

Temp... I was wondering, if you are english or from an english speaking country - do you now speak fluent swedish? and if so how long did it take you to learn?

'AJ'!!
+
Temp
post 1.Aug.2006, 06:36 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Aj)
Oh no! I had no idea either.. 'ouch' is not so bad though..kinda funny!

I thought so too! There's many things like that here to trip us up...

QUOTE (Aj)
Temp... I was wondering, if you are english or from an english speaking country - do you now speak fluent swedish? and if so how long did it take you to learn?

'AJ'!!

I can get by with the odd howler! The best bit is to take the free lessons provided for all foreigners and then just keep speaking speaking speaking it, eventually it starts making sense. For me it was about 6 months before I was holding conversations, but even now (18 months) if a Swede speaks to fast then I have absolutely no idea what they are saying.

In terms of howlers, pronounciation is the hardest - and always gets me into trouble in Sweden: the other month I was meant to run the half marathon between Denmark and Sweden "springer broloppet" but I pronounced to friends I was going to "springa broeloppet" - (blow up the wedding) :-)

Be prepared for saying the same word many many times and having a Swede look at you as if you are speaking Finnish at them, then eventually you can see the lightbulb come on over the head as they get it, only to repeat the word back to you exactly as you have said it but with a slight different emphasis on a syllable!!

And like Winston Churchill I always get confused between "ful" and "full" (one is drunk, the other is ugly) which still after 18 months sound exactly the same to my ears as each other. Apparently one 'l' is said longer than the other, which is blatantly clear when they overexaggerate to make you understand, but in normal speak it still sounds the same!!!

Still, it is great fun to keep trying so just throw yourself into it, who cares if you screw it up and make someone laugh/smile you can only learn from it

//Temp

p.s. it works the other way too, one of my svenska colleagues left as her English out of office "I am on vacation, please leave a massage for me to take when I get back" :-)
+
Aj
post 2.Aug.2006, 08:21 AM
Post #8

Ha, ha... yeah I have been taught 'ful' and 'full' I think I have mastered it! thats about it though my swedish pals tend to teach me the not so essential words.. ugly, drunk, swear words etc!!
+
Alfredo
post 2.Aug.2006, 08:27 AM
Post #9

Like musprutta ...
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 2.Aug.2006, 08:35 AM
Post #10

I just liked the quintessentially British title of this thread; you know, with the obligatory "sorry" at the end of a statement.

Ever so English...

Mark Base
Helsingblog -
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
Aj
post 2.Aug.2006, 08:52 AM
Post #11

Yeah arent we polite! I feel I have to apologise much of the time for the way some of my country people act... you know the ones the swedes see in Magaluf etc! we are not all fat, loud, drunken houligans I swear!!
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 2.Aug.2006, 09:01 AM
Post #12

I'm half English and spent twelve years in London before moving here...It's a habit that's easily picked up (and not necessarily only apologising for the louts) :wink:

Mark Base
Helsingblog -
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
Aj
post 2.Aug.2006, 09:06 AM
Post #13

Yeah.. I could go on all day, but I guess they are the ones I feel most ashamed and bugged about! Hence the move to Stockholm!
+
Alfredo
post 2.Aug.2006, 09:15 AM
Post #14

I'm Engleesh too!

Bit of a mixture, like most people in the world, in my case, I have some Swedish blood in me.

Living in Dalarna (off the beaten track) - been here 3 years.

So what are you going to be studying, Aj?
+
Aj
post 2.Aug.2006, 09:24 AM
Post #15

I hope to study Psychology, but as I dont speak swedish (yet) I may have to study another course as I dont think they teach any psychology in English in Stockholm. So I will study something else for the first year, learn swedish, then do Psychology next year! If thats makes sense!

Whereabouts is Dalarna? South?
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: