The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Another Brit moving to Stockholm (sorry!)

Aj
post 6.Aug.2006, 09:17 PM
Post #31

Woo hoo! Now all you need to do is look like Freddie Ljunberg and you rock! ha ha
Go to the top of the page
+
Loke
post 6.Aug.2006, 10:55 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (Aj)
Hey there

I am an english 24 year old girl, moving to Stockholm in January. I hope to study at the uni(I will learn swedish whilst there, i promise!) and probably work as a nanny to help fund my living expenses etc.

So I am basically 'networking' before I get there, I have quite a few friends in Stockholm, but mostly guys, so hearing from girls would be great.

Also any useful advice or tips are more than welcome!

Mandy

Dunno about working as a nanny - daycare here in Sweden is both cheap and very good. The jobs that're easiest to get are generally in either care or cleaning - they may not be too glamourous, but you can actually live on the minimum wage here.

Register with immigration as soon as you can (Migrationsverket), try for a permanent residance permit (you have to have been living w your partner for two years in Sweden - if I remember correctly - but, if you've lived together abroad this is taken into account).

Check out:

http://www.migrationsverket.se/english.jsp

If and when you get permanent residency you can then get a grant and student loan from the Swedish State (hurrah!).

Check out: http://www.csn.se/english/default.asp

Learning Swedish

All foreigners can got to a state run course to learn Swedish - SFI

http://www1.lhs.se/sfi/eng.html

From what I've heard it ain't brilliant. I know that Umeå uni and either Lund or Linköping uni run a course/programme that takes you up to a universtiy level of Swedish. The course takes three terms (1.5 years) and I highly recommend it.

Dunno about psychology courses, but if you want to work a psycholist in Sweden you need to read the psychologist programme (psykologprogrammet) - nothing else is accepted. The only uni.s that are approved to run the programme are: Stockholm, Gothenburg, Lund, Linköping, Uppsala, Umeå and (the young pretender) Örebro. The programme is among the hardest to get into in Swedish uni.s but bloody good (ok, I'm a bit biased).

Hope that helps...
+
Aj
post 7.Aug.2006, 08:54 AM
Post #33

Wow that was a lot of really useful information - thank you.

It is actually 'Monkey' who has a swedish boyfriend and is moving over to be with him - I am moving over alone. So wont be able to get perminant residency.

I will look into psykologprogrammet, maybe it will mean I have to study swedish and speak it fluently before I can study Psychology in Sweden.
I thought that maybe I could use points from other courses towards a psychology degree.

Thanks again for the help!
+
Loke
post 7.Aug.2006, 10:42 AM
Post #34

Oops, sorry about the mix up. You can put together your own degree with a mix of different courses (similar to the major/minor system in the States), this won't however allow you to work as a pschologist here. The best thing to do would be speak to a "study advisor" (studievägledare) - each and every uni has a few - she/he will be able to advise you best and help out with stuff like translating grades etc. If need any more help let me know, am reading pskologprog. myself (as you may have guessed).
+
*Gothenburgmark*
post 7.Aug.2006, 12:29 PM
Post #35

Yeah, Sweden does have the hottest chicks in the world, in my humble opinion. However, that may or may not be the same case in 20 years or so from now after all the inter-breeding takes place.
+
Ems
post 7.Aug.2006, 12:52 PM
Post #36

With regards to CSN money, I think you need to have lived in Sweden for the past two years in addition to the permanent residency.
+
Monkey
post 7.Aug.2006, 01:36 PM
Post #37

Hey there!

Aj-Yeh def meet up, but i don't think posting personal details on this site is a good idea so how we would arrange that- i dont know? Why wait until january?? come in october when i go! very brave of you to move by yourself, i think its great.

I'm planning to move about October now...does anyone know if there is any way i can study for my teacher training in Stockholm? hmmmmm would it be in swedish? im thinking of maybe doing a msc or something now...hmmmm

Haha i met my boyfriend on holiday in cyprus actually..not my usual style i have to admit but he is a footballer and was there on tour at a football academy and i was on a quick fix-tan holiday with my mum..so...then i visited and he visited etc...he has some nice friends when your in stockholm hahaaa...

Another question- can i take two suitcases on the plane with me? I know they're only 'things' but its so expensive for 'things' in sweden that i want to try and take as much as i can with me...

Also, i was under the impression that because im from the EU i can get granted residency permit etc without any problems? I'm started to panick now?

Thanks again for all your advice...

haydor
x
+
Aj
post 7.Aug.2006, 03:02 PM
Post #38

Loke - thanks again. I did not know you needed to study psykologprogrammet specifically to become a psychologist. Is it the same as a degree? does it take 3 years to complete?

Monkey - Now I am jealous that you are moving over sooner!! I have been looking into actually as my current job comes to an end in 5 weeks!!

If you wanna email ajgalley@hotmail.com - this gets heaps of spam sent to it and I will then have your address so can email you back from my other email address.

I am not sure about the suitcase thing -I am gonna look into it. You will have to pay extra but I am not sure what the extra luggage limit is. It will depend on who you fly with as well.

Glad your boyf has some 'nice' friends! even more reason to meet up! ha ha
+
Irish_Bog
post 7.Aug.2006, 10:40 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (Aj)
Ha, ha... yeah I have been taught 'ful' and 'full' I think I have mastered it! thats about it though my swedish pals tend to teach me the not so essential words.. ugly, drunk, swear words etc!!

I had the same problem until I thought
of a simple mnemonic to help me remember.

Ful - ugly ... is pronounced like fool
so think of a fool being ugly,

Full - drunk is pronounced like the English
word full so think of someone drunk being
full of beer.

that's about it.
To help my pronounciation I used to
practice saying
Jag har hår här (pointing at my head)
which means I have hair here. It's
a good exercise to feel the difference
in the Swedish vowels.
+
Loke
post 8.Aug.2006, 10:38 AM
Post #40

QUOTE (Ems)
With regards to CSN money, I think you need to have lived in Sweden for the past two years in addition to the permanent residency.

Not any longer:

Medborgare i ett EU/EES-land och Schweiz

Om du är medborgare i ett EU/EES-land eller Schweiz och har permanent uppehållsrätt i Sverige, kan du få grundläggande rätt till svenskt studiestöd för studier i Sverige och utomlands. Permanent uppehållsrätt har du om du har vistats lagligt i Sverige i fem år utan uppehåll. Om du vill ha ett bevis på din permanenta uppehållsrätt kan du ansöka om ett intyg hos Migrationsverket.

Taken from the CSN website - for the non-Swedish speakers - if you''re an EU/EEA citizen and have permanent residency (uppehållstillstånd/uppehållsrätt) you've got the same rights as a Swedish citizen to student loan/grant.

AJ

Psykologprogrammet takes 5 years, it might sounds like a long time but the same qualification in the UK will probably take a lot longer - the prgramme is actually a masters and includes all the practical bits you need - clients, psychological testing, your own therapy etc. In the UK you nedd to have a bachelors, often a masters and to have worked (eg. as a psychological assistant - those jobs are like hens' teeth, plus the pay and conditions are shite). I'll send you that mail...
+
Get It Right
post 8.Aug.2006, 11:57 AM
Post #41

Hey! It does say if you have PERMANENT residency!!! You can't get that quickly, you have to live here for two years first! Or be married and have kids!
+
Aj
post 8.Aug.2006, 12:41 PM
Post #42

so its gotten a little confusing - does that mean if you have permanent swedish residency you can get a loan or if you are an EU/EAA citizen and have permanent residency in your EU Country...? I am guessing the first.
+
Loke
post 8.Aug.2006, 02:56 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Get It Right)
Hey! It does say if you have PERMENET residency!!! You can't get that quickly, you have to live here for two years first! Or be married and have kids!

CSN does not however require you to have been here two years in addition to the permanent residency - that's all down to Migrationsverket (who've changed the rules, it now appears that one merely has to be here for five years and then gets uppehållsrätt - not mention of sambo etc). Get it right, Get It Right :wink:
+
Get It Right
post 8.Aug.2006, 03:17 PM
Post #44

I have permanent residency after two years so now I can get money from CSN. What's your point? You can't come here and get money from CSN straight away.
+
Loke
post 8.Aug.2006, 04:07 PM
Post #45

My point was is two-fold:

i)CSN doesn't require an additional two years to permanent residency (mainly in response to EMS' post)

ii)In you second post you state that one has have lived in Sweden for two years to get permanent residency - it ain't true any more, Migrationsverket changed the rules for EU/EEA citizens 30 april 2006.

Please note: at no point have I said one can come here and get studentgrant loan straight away, indeed in my first post I made reference to the CSN homepage and said "if and when you get permanent residency".
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: