The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Journalism in Stockholm

Davejohnson
post 17.Aug.2006, 02:58 AM
Post #1

A while back I asked about any job opportunities for Brits in Stockholm and after an initial flurry of replies (cheers, bless all your cotton socks) it went a bit quiet.

I'm a journalist by trade, so a repetitive and pushy sod by nature and thought I'd reiterate my request. Particularly interested from hearing from Yorkshire Goddess again.

Cheers again.
Go to the top of the page
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 17.Aug.2006, 08:08 AM
Post #2

While I have not worked as a journalist here, I have dealt with several about important political matters, especially the assassination of Olof Palme, and I have found them the most closed group I have ever seen.

While they were interested in recording my conversations, taking me out to lunch for discussions, and asking for things I have written, and work by others I would recommend - what made me increasing suspect that they were just conduits for the Swedish securocrats - NOTHING ever came of it in the papers, expect for a guy, Bo Andersson as I recall from Dagens Nyheter, telling me, finally, that it was just a good way to get oneself killed.

So, if you are interested in political journalism, and hope to bring new perspectives to Swedish journalism, forget it. It is a closed, rather paranoid shop.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 17.Aug.2006, 09:05 AM
Post #3

You see Trow, that's what people mean when they say you are too ready to insult others. Just because someone doesn't believe your outlandish stories (and let's face it, nobody does, so that maybe ought to tell you something) doesn't mean they are working for the security forces, paranoid or 'closed'.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 17.Aug.2006, 09:06 AM
Post #4

Anyway, job opportunities. How good is your Swedish? Makes all the difference.
+
Yorkshire Goddess
post 17.Aug.2006, 09:22 AM
Post #5

Dave, I return...if you don't mind sending your email adress I'll happily send you more info...
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 17.Aug.2006, 09:25 AM
Post #6

There you go again, VHW, spewing off insults without even taking the time to read what I said, and reflecting upon it.

I made it quite clear that I was not looking for any employment,and had never had any in Sweden, so my skill with Swedish, whatever it is, is neither an issue too.

If people like Bo Andersson, Olle Alsén, Anders Hellberg,Lars Borgnäs,Stephen Ericsson,Peter Kallberg, etc., were not interested in my "outlandish" claims, why would they repeatedly invite themselves over to my house for talks, record what I have to say, ask for recommended literature and take away what I am able to supply,ask me to submit articles, only to reject etc. - only for Andersson to conclude that I might well get myself killed for doing so?

If they aren't working for the security services, why are they wasting their time, just pursuing outlandish claims?

And I am only talking about this now, and it started five years ago - hardly a sign of being too ready to insult them. I have only slowly started speaking out about this because of all the utter rubbish they print about the conspiracy which assassinated the statsminister.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 17.Aug.2006, 09:30 AM
Post #7

Oh do get a grip Trow, there is not one single insult in my post (unless you count the use of the word outlandish, but to be honest even if it's true the idea that the CIA tried to poison you with ricin is pretty outlandish to anyone).

And the Swedish skill comment was directed at the lead post. Not everything in this world is All About You.
+
Sir Wobbly Camel
post 17.Aug.2006, 09:38 AM
Post #8

VHW: Wouldn't you think a generalisation such as 'nobody believes any of your stories' is a tad insulting - or did I miss something?
:roll:
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 17.Aug.2006, 09:39 AM
Post #9

To say that someone is too eager to insult others,VHW, when it isn't true, and that they are only stating the truth is to insult them. And besides it indicates that they are regularly engaging in insults. What could be more insulting???

And your second message was clearly directed at me, since it started with the telltale "Anyway..."
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 17.Aug.2006, 09:42 AM
Post #10

Actually saying that nobody believes the stories is simply stating a fact, unless I've missed something and there is someone here who believes it.

"Anyway, job opportunities" suggests quite clearly that I was returning to the original topic, in the vague hope that this thread didn't get hijacked into another Trow poo-flinging fest. Some chance. However, I'm refraining from further comment because there are enough threads about Trow on this board and someone is asking for advice here.
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 17.Aug.2006, 09:49 AM
Post #11

Three cheers for the merits of freedom of expression!
+
Alfredo
post 17.Aug.2006, 09:54 AM
Post #12

And Yorkshire Goddess has just confirmed that you don't need to speak Swedish to get a job in Sweden, so let's knock that myth on the head right now.

English is what you need.

Do you speak English?

Full fart, then!
+
Sir Wobbly Camel
post 17.Aug.2006, 11:06 AM
Post #13

VHW: Perhaps not everybody believes Trow's stories - that's debatable - just like not everybody believes that Sweden is the paradise that you make it out to be...

Perhaps the Trow *poo flinging* should cease??
+
post 17.Aug.2006, 11:18 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Sir Wobbly Camel)
VHW: Perhaps not everybody believes Trow's stories - that's debatable - just like not everybody believes that Sweden is the paradise that you make it out to be...

VHW never makes it out to be a paradise. i've only read that she defends it when the poo fling fest v. sweden commences.

SWC, have you found a new muse? :wink:
+
Sir Wobbly Camel
post 17.Aug.2006, 11:21 AM
Post #15

007: Just calling it as I see it.

You're tired of Streja *copping* it for making stupid & childish comments, but never say anything else about everyone elses favourite fall-guy.

Now put your bicycle helmet back on! smile.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: