The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Children's playgournd GRAVEL!

Beef
post 11.May.2006, 09:20 PM
Post #1

Just realised now the the snow has finally gone that my son who started dagis last autumn actually plays in gravel! I normally do the drop offs but the last couple of days I've picked him up filthy dirty and so are all the other kids!

Spoke to some Swedish parents and gravel is the norm for playground football pitches etc... OK, I can understand maybe the usefulness in the colder weather but I lived upstate NY where they get much more snow than Sweden. Was not a parent then but don't rememebr seeing gravel play areas!

Why?
Go to the top of the page
+
*(capital B) Blondie, Tl F*
post 11.May.2006, 09:22 PM
Post #2

that sounds dangerous, in england we have a soft tarmac type stuff its great as when the kids fall (as they do) they almost bounce :?
+
Beef
post 11.May.2006, 09:33 PM
Post #3

I know. His face was all cut up last week when he fell. Breaks your heart!
+
post 11.May.2006, 09:58 PM
Post #4

shit get this stuff put down or even astro turf when you pay good money you expect the goods
+
The Swede
post 11.May.2006, 10:35 PM
Post #5

Meh... it's just a matter of getting used to. If it really bothers you, try talking to the teachers about it.
+
FR
post 11.May.2006, 10:39 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (blondie)
shit get this stuff put down or even astro turf when you pay good money you expect the goods

Astroturf is nasty stuff.
+
post 12.May.2006, 01:24 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (FR)
Astroturf is nasty stuff.
i know it can be, but gravel , geeesh, for little ones?
+
Kelvin Aka The Dramka
post 12.May.2006, 06:22 AM
Post #8

I come fom South Orange County California, the playgrounds seem light years ahead of anything I see here in sweden. Here is what they use below. It is so much more safe than having your little ones getting scrapped up on the gravel and asphalt surfaces that are most common in sweden.

The Newest Concept for Landscapes and Playgrounds

Rubber Bark is a premium rubber mulch product manufactured by Ag Link, Inc. of Ballico, California. Made from 99.9% steel free ¾? pieces of recycled California Tires, Rubber Bark is the best choice for landscape or playground loose fill material.

Best Choice for Playground Safety!!!

Rubber Bark complies with ASTM 1292-99 standard for critical fall height safety. Just 4? depth provides a 9? critical fall height. Compare this to the alternatives that may require 10-12 inches for similar safety ratings. Additionally, since Rubber Bark does not breakdown or deteriorate the product depth and therefore safety is maintained for many years.

Environmentally friendly, made from recycled tires
Looks like wood or rock ? but better...
Fade resistant
No deterioration from water absorption
Water drains through easily getting to plants
Doesn't attract insects, cats or dogs
Doesn?t float or blow away
Easy to install and maintain
Reduces fall injuries on playgrounds
+
post 12.May.2006, 07:55 AM
Post #9

thats the stuff!! oh thanks kelvin, here in the uk it can come in sheets so its like a rubber floor far much kinder to delicate little knees
+
Kelvin Aka The Dramka
post 12.May.2006, 08:12 AM
Post #10

Hey blondie,
Yep, this is the stuff alright. I would rather my daughter play on this stuff any day of the week. Plus it's made from re-cycled material, environmentally safe.
+
Alice Is Back
post 12.May.2006, 08:14 AM
Post #11

what's this ?? do you want your kids to grow up all sissys??? They can get a bit dirty...

CITY SLICKERS :twisted:
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 12.May.2006, 08:19 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (blondie)
thats the stuff!! oh thanks kelvin, here in the uk it can come in sheets so its like a rubber floor far much kinder to delicate little knees

Need some of that to protect knees on my hardwood floors... :twisted:
+
post 12.May.2006, 08:20 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Aaron_in_indiana)
what's this ?? do you want your kids to grow up all sissys??? They can get a bit dirty...

CITY SLICKERS :twisted:
there is plenty of time in their lives to get 'ruffed'
up!! but i am going to protect my 2 year old for a while yet we are talking about nurseries here not school, dirty is great love nothing more than us playing in puddles , mud pies etc and getting in a mess but this is not whats happened this baby got really hurt and at a nursery they are not allowed to kiss it better or cover with a plaster like us mums would do (thanks to the social services)!
+
Kelvin Aka The Dramka
post 12.May.2006, 08:23 AM
Post #14

Hey Aaron_in_indiana,
Not all, we just want them to be able to come back in one piece. Do you have kids? wouldnt you want the safest envirnment for them to play in? Thats just being smart.

link
+
Alice Is Back
post 12.May.2006, 08:28 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (blondie)
there is plenty of time in their lives to get 'ruffed'
up!! but i am going to protect my 2 year old for a while yet we are talking about nurseries here not school, dirty is great love nothing more than us playing in puddles , mud pies etc and getting in a mess but this is not whats happened this baby got really hurt and at a nursery they are not allowed to kiss it better or cover with a plaster like us mums would do (thanks to the social services)!

sorry i did not realize your child was 2, i thought he or she would of been a bit older. At my elementary school we just had dirt more or less in the playground for better or worse.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: