The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

smältprodukt in grätang-mix?

what on earth is it

Boston23
post 1.Nov.2010, 08:38 PM
Post #1

I bought some delicious grätang-mix cheese recently, and I was curious about which cheeses were used in it to see if there's a new cheese we haven't already tried inside the mix. I was mildly disturbed to see that the breakdown of ingredients was 70% smältprodukt (?) and the remaining 30% was "ost" (ummm, which one??). First of all, what is smältprodukt? "Melted product" (literal translation) sounds too shady to be 70% of the mix, and am curious why they don't specify which ost is the remaining 30%. Any thoughts?
Go to the top of the page
+
Streja
post 1.Nov.2010, 08:55 PM
Post #2

It says on some site here that it is härdad olja, hmmm oil...not very natural...

Just use proper cheese... smile.gif
+
Johno
post 1.Nov.2010, 09:00 PM
Post #3

"Hardening" oil by hydrogenation is the process of making margarine. So its solidified fat, and I guess think lard in the cooking sense.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 1.Nov.2010, 09:10 PM
Post #4

There is a reason why it is called "gratängmix"; they are not allowed to call it cheese.
You will find the same with all shredded cheese products that are not explicitly labeled as cheese.
+
Puffin
post 2.Nov.2010, 07:16 AM
Post #5

It's fake cheese
+
byke
post 2.Nov.2010, 07:55 AM
Post #6

Do they use similar products on pizza here?
The reason for the question is it may account for the oil lakes that is always seen on pizzas here which I havent seen anywhere else.
+
Boston23
post 2.Nov.2010, 08:14 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Johno @ 1.Nov.2010, 09:00 PM) *
"Hardening" oil by hydrogenation is the process of making margarine. So its solidified fat, and I guess think lard in the cooking sense.

Oh lard...how good yet how evil it is. smile.gif

Thanks everyone for the info! I admit I'm surprised that there was so much non-cheese in the mix, but hey, something's gotta explain why it tastes so good, eh? biggrin.gif
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 2.Nov.2010, 08:16 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (byke @ 2.Nov.2010, 07:55 AM) *
Do they use similar products on pizza here?. The reason for the question is it may account for the oil lakes that is always seen on pizzas here which I havent seen anywhere else.

If you eat pizzas with oil lakes I wouldn't doubt it...
+
Puffin
post 2.Nov.2010, 08:18 AM
Post #9

In a lot of pizzerias they seem to add a lot of oil on top of the cheese

I guess also it depends on your choice of pizza toppings - those kebab and french fries pizzas can be pretty greasy cool.gif cool.gif
+
byke
post 2.Nov.2010, 08:33 AM
Post #10

I know the italians like to add olive oil to pizzas, especially if it features a green salad on top.
But I meant more so the big pools of yellow oil that often appear on pizza on sweden that leaks out from the "cheese" when cooked.

I suppose if pizzas in sweden do use allot of "cheese" toppings that are cut heavily with lard it would explain why the yellow pools appear.

Before anyone jumps on this as a "dont dis sweden" let me please say, this isnt a dis ... but answers a question, I have wondered for a long time. it is, what it is ...
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 2.Nov.2010, 02:35 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (byke @ 2.Nov.2010, 08:33 AM) *
I know the italians like to add olive oil to pizzas, especially if it features a green salad on top.But I meant more so the big pools of yellow oil that often appear on pizza ... (show full quote)

I've only had pizzas with those kind of oil pools at really shabby places. Where do you live?
+
byke
post 2.Nov.2010, 02:41 PM
Post #12

Central Stockholm at present, but have seen it prevalent in a huge variety of pizza houses throughout stockholm dating as far back as 1990.

Again its not a dis ... but it does explain why it appears. (profit margins)
+
Puffin
post 2.Nov.2010, 03:06 PM
Post #13

I guess a lot of places use fake cheese to save costs - it's made from cheaper fats such as rapeseed and sunflower oils processed with some *real cheese* - apprently it is healthier than real cheese as it has lower saturated fat - hmmmmm unsure.gif unsure.gif

Article in DN
http://www.dn.se/ekonomi/falsk-riven-ost-a...halsan-1.513871
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 2.Nov.2010, 05:37 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (byke @ 2.Nov.2010, 02:41 PM) *
Central Stockholm at present, but have seen it prevalent in a huge variety of pizza houses throughout stockholm dating as far back as 1990. Again its not a dis ... but it does ... (show full quote)

I don't really like a lot of cheese on pizzas so maybe that's why I don't see it so often. I usually go for the simple ones with mozzarella.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: