The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Cycling on the road... legal?

Using the road when there is a bike path

rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 09:56 AM
Post #1

I've been living in Sweden for two years now and been wanting to know the answer to this for a while. I'm a keen road cyclist, did vätternrundan this year, and do a lot of day touring and training on the road. A few times now people have deliberately tried to run me off the road, even when I'm doing the speed limit (30-40km/h) along the entire road and riding right at the edge of the road. People have driven dangerously to overtake then tried to force me off the road, one guy even parked his car in front of me and refused to move. The ones that overtake me when I'm doing the speed limit are particularly annoying, they seem to hate sitting behind a cyclist and assume they are going to get slowed down.

Obviously when there is no cycle path I have no choice but to use the road so I know I am in the right there. But my question is, when there is a cycle path do I have to use it or can I use the road? What does the law say? And if I can prove it (i.e. helmet cameras or just taking number plates to the police) will the police do anything to protect me? (such as politely informing the driver that I am allowed to ride on the road and that vigilantism is not appreciated, especially when they are enforcing their own opinions rather than law)

I ask because the cycle paths are often bumpy, narrow, cross roads, have more loose gravel on them, and involve dodging pedestrians and commuter cyclists who are often cycling in a daydream - this doesn't seem safe to me, when I'm travelling at speeds often up to 50km/h I am conscious that if I were to hit a pedestrian I could kill them. That is why I use the road.

(note I live in Uppsala where people are generally very tolerant and kind to cyclists, but some are just irritated by the number of cyclists)
Go to the top of the page
+
vicky7
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:03 AM
Post #2

So you want to learn the hard way?
+
rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:04 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (vicky7 @ 26.Sep.2013, 09:03 AM) *
No it is not legal! I eat cyclists who piss me off, so be warned.

Could you point me to the law that says that?
+
rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:07 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (vicky7 @ 26.Sep.2013, 09:03 AM) *
So you want to learn the hard way?

No, that's why I'm asking... (stupid questions will get stupid answers)
+
AgeOfReason
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:08 AM
Post #5

It says:

Finns en cykelbana, ska cyklister använda den istället för körfältet. Om körfältet bättre leder till målet och cyklisten är extra försiktig, får körfältet dock.
+
Mark249
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:09 AM
Post #6

Glad that some drivers are teaching you a lesson. smile.gif
+
rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:15 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (AgeOfReason @ 26.Sep.2013, 09:08 AM) *
It says:. Finns en cykelbana, ska cyklister använda den istället för körfältet. Om körfältet bättre leder till målet och cyklisten är extra försiktig, får körfältet dock.

So my translation of that says if the road is a better option and the rider is careful (I've highlighted that because I know not all cyclists ride safely), they can use the road... I'd interpret not crashing due to gravel etc thus risking my own life, or having to risk the lives of pedestrians, as justifiable cause for using the road. So if you don't mind maybe you should reconsider your opinions. Remember if you are going to try and hit a cyclist you will be taking the life of an innocent human who has family and friends, you will have to have that on your conscience for the rest of your life.
+
rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:17 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Mark249 @ 26.Sep.2013, 09:09 AM) *
Glad that some drivers are teaching you a lesson. smile.gif

I'll also remind you that putting someones life at danger is a stupid way to teach them a lesson, you'd regret it the moment you hit someone hard enough to kill them.
+
Affonso
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:20 AM
Post #9

I must admit, i have really been tempted to run over cyclists or throw wood into their wheel. Those spoilt brats have no consideration for pedestrians or drivers, especially when playing on their phone. They should have license for cyclists, they create more accidents than drivers.
+
AgeOfReason
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:20 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (rg255 @ 26.Sep.2013, 11:15 AM) *
and the rider is careful

Some could argue that going 30-40Km on the road with traffic isn't being careful and the cycle path should have been used as that would have been the better option to get you safely to your destination.
+
Mark249
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:27 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (rg255 @ 26.Sep.2013, 10:15 AM) *
So my translation of that says if the road is a better option and the rider is careful (I've highlighted that because I know not all cyclists ride safely), they can use th ... (show full quote)

I just said that its good that some drivers are willing to teach people like you a lesson. You invite trouble and only have yourself to blame.
+
rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:31 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Affonso @ 26.Sep.2013, 10:20 AM) *
I must admit, i have really been tempted to run over cyclists or throw wood into their wheel. Those spoilt brats have no consideration for pedestrians or drivers, especially w ... (show full quote)

Perhaps you mean the commuter cyclists (proper road cyclists tend to be more attentive) - I know exactly what you mean, they are unaware of whats going on around them, ride dangerously, don't use lights even in the middle of winter, ride across roads without looking, and think it's a good idea to play with their phones rather than look where they are going
+
rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:34 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (AgeOfReason @ 26.Sep.2013, 10:20 AM) *
Some could argue that going 30-40Km on the road with traffic isn't being careful and the cycle path should have been used as that would have been the better option to get ... (show full quote)

So it's safe for a car to travel at those speeds along a road but not a bicycle? why? By using the cycle path at those speeds I am putting others lives in danger, I use the road knowing my own life is most at risk, I'm highly unlikely to kill a car driver with my bike.
+
rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 10:41 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (AgeOfReason @ 26.Sep.2013, 10:08 AM) *
It says:. Finns en cykelbana, ska cyklister använda den istället för körfältet. Om körfältet bättre leder till målet och cyklisten är extra försiktig, får körfältet dock.

also does this mean I'm allowed when there simply is no cycle path? people have gone to hit me even then
+
AgeOfReason
post 26.Sep.2013, 11:10 AM
Post #15

Maybe if you swap to cycling on the right-hand side they won't be coming straight for you wink.gif
+

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: