The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Another shooting in Stockholm

Where are all these guns coming from?

Ivor stephé
post 14.Sep.2013, 07:41 AM
Post #1

http://www.dn.se/sthlm/man-skjuten-till-dods-i-stockholm/

This week there has been numerous gun related shootings throughout the country.
I would like to know if the weapons we see now used so commonly, have seen a dramatic increase in imports or if they have just been sitting dormant waiting for a confrontation.

There were reports that the politicians were asking the armed forces to help with policing in regards to backup etc. Does that mean the national police force have lost control?
Go to the top of the page
+
Ivor stephé
post 14.Sep.2013, 07:52 AM
Post #2

Now a grenade was set off in the streets of Malmö last night.

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/handgrana...derade-i-malmo/
+
intrepidfox
post 14.Sep.2013, 08:52 AM
Post #3

I wonder where all the weapons are coming from as well. Years ago criminals broke into military stores as they were often unguarded in remote areas.

Today i believe that many weapons are coming from Eastern countries.

Regardless of where they come from it must be stopped.
+
hatim
post 14.Sep.2013, 09:05 AM
Post #4

What is the usual sentenced for conviction of possesing an illegal weapon in Sweden?
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 14.Sep.2013, 10:41 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Ivor stephé @ 14.Sep.2013, 08:41 AM) *
http://www.dn.se/sthlm/man-skjuten-till-dods-i-stockholm/This week there has been numerous gun related shootings throughout the country.I would like to know if the weapons we ... (show full quote)

They flow of illegal guns from eastern Europe has likely been pretty constant over the years. Whenever there is a gang-war the shootings increase, and there are several gang-wars going on right now. In the 90s there were similar biker gang wars where even rocket propelled grenades were used.

QUOTE (Ivor stephé @ 14.Sep.2013, 08:41 AM) *
There were reports that the politicians were asking the armed forces to help with policing in regards to backup etc. Does that mean the national police force have lost control?

The armed forces are not allowed to intervene in civil matters, not even if asked for help. What has happened is that the local police forces have asked for investigative help from the national police force. It is just too many investigations going on for the local police to handle.

Similar help was offered to Malmö a couple of years ago, which effectively put a stop to the local gang wars there. However, as a result of the Malmö operation a lot of gangs moved their business to Göteborg, and now a similar intervention is planned for Gothenburg.
+
Ivor stephé
post 14.Sep.2013, 11:14 AM
Post #6

Is the large majority of violence really gang violence?
I can imagine that in regards to some gun specific crime.

But I wonder if the high rate of violent crimes are being rolled into a political excuse.
Instead of addressing a specific breakdown in social behaviour?

Because it wont be too long until we see young people with a desire for self preservation looking for means of protection.
+
Ivor stephé
post 14.Sep.2013, 11:16 AM
Post #7

Also didn't I read that armed forces were to supply helicopter support to the police?
Would that be only in an observational role?
+
chloeeff2
post 14.Sep.2013, 11:21 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (hatim @ 14.Sep.2013, 08:05 AM) *
What is the usual sentenced for conviction of possesing an illegal weapon in Sweden?

3 days community service.
+
Mib
post 14.Sep.2013, 11:52 AM
Post #9

They come through channels as easily as drugs. You can't stop it, unless you invest heavily in more security forces combined with intelligence. The other option is to remove Sweden from the EU union & schengen agreement and become a tax shelter to increase everyone's wealth to minimise crime. Luxemburg I believe hasn't had a murder since 1997.

What makes me laugh at this kind of crime is that all of our communications are apparently monitored and yet it shows how futile this kind of monitoring is. Probably down to too much information and incompetent & inadequate resources. This is why there has been a strong increase in the extreme right political parties. It's all well and good preaching/accepting migration/immigration which if managed correctly is positive, but if you then don't invest in resoirces/infrastructure and ensuring that people are treated equally when looking for work etc, then don't be surprised if there are reactions to that. Politicians talk alot, but rarely if ever, put their money where their mouth is. Only when people wake up and stop voting for the traditional parties, will anything change. Also, as a migrant myself, the EU rule that requires I have a passport for the country I live in to be able to vote is ridiculous. I can only vote in local elections. So nothing inclusive about that. Anyway, I won't hold my breath as for the vast majority, life is comfortable and this is where the politicians focus!
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 14.Sep.2013, 12:58 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Ivor stephé @ 14.Sep.2013, 12:14 PM) *
Is the large majority of violence really gang violence?. I can imagine that in regards to some gun specific crime.

The latest gun violence is without any doubt related to criminal fractions fighting each other. That is why you have outbursts with several shootings in a very short period.

Regular muggings and drunken assaults are generally not related to the criminal networks causing the shootings.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 14.Sep.2013, 01:00 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Ivor stephé @ 14.Sep.2013, 12:16 PM) *
Also didn't I read that armed forces were to supply helicopter support to the police?. Would that be only in an observational role?

Sweden has no attack helicopters so the only role a helicopter can play is to observe and transport. The police would then rent the helo with pilot from the armed forces. The armed forces are not allowed to do policing themselves.

But I do wonder why they would need to rent a helicopter since the police in Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö already have their own fleet of helicopters which are quite sufficient.

EDIT: The police will rent helicopter transport capacity from the armed forces for the police anti-terrorist force.
+
Ivor stephé
post 14.Sep.2013, 01:12 PM
Post #12

I remember reading In July about a women who was shot at a train station in Umea during daylight hours in front of a group of children. I am not sure if that was gang related, but such stories throw me as I expect them to be crimes of passion instead of gang related turf wars.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 14.Sep.2013, 01:43 PM
Post #13

That was not gang related but it is also not a part of the latest "wave" of shootings. Of the 42 shootings in Gothenburg this year only a few are non-gang related. Of the 7 dead I think only one was not affiliated to criminal gangs. That one was a crime of passion.
+
Ivor stephé
post 14.Sep.2013, 01:55 PM
Post #14

What I was trying to say was, That crimes of passion as well as gang related crimes seem to be both on the increase. And while its understandable that they all get grouped up under the same label. Ultimately they are all forms of anti social behaviour.

The walls of acceptance are crumbling as more similar crimes are reported.

Some have mentioned partially it being related to mass immigration without sufficient framework. Others blame "crime". I wonder if the role of parents has changed in the past generation in regards to values, discipline and moral behaviour? All helping to erode parts of society today.
+
AgeOfReason
post 14.Sep.2013, 02:22 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Mib @ 14.Sep.2013, 12:52 PM) *
They come through channels as easily as drugs. You can't stop it, unless you invest heavily in more security forces combined with intelligence. The other option is to remo ... (show full quote)

Just an exit from the Schengen agreement would suffice, then stricter border and customs controls would be possible for Sweden. The issue today is that in the schengen agreement with regards passing across borders "...speed must not reduce as a result of control facilities", which means it is not possible to conduct thorough customs checks as that would slow down the flow across the border.

QUOTE (Mib @ 14.Sep.2013, 12:52 PM) *
Also, as a migrant myself, the EU rule that requires I have a passport for the country I live in to be able to vote is ridiculous. I can only vote in local elections. So nothi ... (show full quote)

You are incorrect. It is NOT an EU Rule, it is a National Rule determined by each country as to whom can and cannot vote in Parliamentary elections. The EU Commission has absolutely NO power to change that, in fact they have recognised this as a distinct issue since there are several member states, eg. UK, where you lose you power to vote even in your home country after a number of years and thus renders it impossible for you not able to vote for a government in either the member state you are resident in or your home member state. They have been pushing for a number of years to get member states to start to discuss this issue, but let's face it, it isn't going to happen! Imagine ... The larger member states could flood the smaller ones with it's residents and take over power through parliament!!! biggrin.gif conquer by democracy!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: