The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Irish Girl has just moved to Sweden!

Employment, Education, Lifestyle!

knagle
post 8.Feb.2012, 06:39 PM
Post #1

Hej everyone! My name is Katie, I am a nineteen year old Irish Girl who has just moved to Stockholm! And I'm currently on the lookout for work. I know its very hard to get anything outside of bar/pub/restaurant work. But I was looking into being a Nanny. I have taken care of my two beautiful and adorable nieces for a few months, dropping them to and from pre-school ( Kindergarten..Montessori etc ) and cooking for them, ensuring homework was done and having plenty of activities. I get on brilliantly with children! Any ideas or help with employment in this section ? Or in restaurant pub bar work ? Anything at all is really appreciated.
Thanking everyone for their time smile.gif

Katie
Go to the top of the page
+
Schomberg
post 8.Feb.2012, 07:52 PM
Post #2

Go to your Kommun and apply for helping at schools and daycare centres. The most important thing to do is get A job fast. That'll help you with your swedish and help ground you. Do whatever you can to stay away from English/Irish ex-pat pubs. I made that mistake and it really doesn't do you any favours re the language.

Good luck!
+
knagle
post 8.Feb.2012, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Ohhh thank you so so much! I will definitely do that smile.gif
+
Monark540
post 8.Feb.2012, 09:01 PM
Post #4

Big job fair later this week at Kulturhuset in Stockholm, Friday and Saturday. Look for more details in Metro, the free newspaper widely available. It focuses on three areas - education, working, and starting your own business. This is a not-to-be missed fair foe new arrivals and anyone seeking employment!
+
jostein
post 9.Feb.2012, 12:04 AM
Post #5

Dont know if this site is any good, just googled "engelsktalande barnflicka stockholm"
http://nannyakuten.se/Englishspeakingnanny...SE/Default.aspx
+
StephenR
post 9.Feb.2012, 03:15 PM
Post #6

Check out http://www.bazar.nu for the jobs fair that Monark540 mentioned. Looks relatively decent and they've cancelled all our SFI classes tomorrow so that we can go so I get the impression that it's aimed a bit at immigrants.
+
knagle
post 9.Feb.2012, 08:37 PM
Post #7

Thank you guys all so much! But Im really now desperate for work. It seems so difficult! I have already been here for one month, I have experience working for a golf club in ireland as a waitress and a bartender ( more pints and whiskeys than cocktails and such ). I really wonder where I can get any type of work, kitchen assistant or... anything!
+
BillyB
post 9.Feb.2012, 09:23 PM
Post #8

Hi and welcome to Stockholm
Out of curiosity what brought you to these chilly parts?
+
knagle
post 9.Feb.2012, 09:33 PM
Post #9

Well, Im on a gap year, and have already applied for uni in fall in Ireland. So its a bit of a free year. I have an older brother here who speaks swedish and has lived here for 6 years! I also came because my boyfriend is here. And from my previous trips here I quite liked it. Everyone has been so very welcoming and friendly!
+
BillyB
post 9.Feb.2012, 10:57 PM
Post #10

Im sure people will be friendly to a 19 year old Irish girl! smile.gif

But good luck in the job hunt
+
Puffin
post 10.Feb.2012, 09:09 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Schomberg @ 8.Feb.2012, 07:52 PM) *
Go to your Kommun and apply for helping at schools and daycare centres. The most important thing to do is get A job fast. That'll help you with your swedish and help groun ... (show full quote)

If you are only here on a gap year they working the English/Irish bars might not be so such a dumb idea as it is not like you will need the Swedish language for your future career

I don't know of any kommun daycares that just hire unqualified/non Swedish speaking staff who walk in from the street - they may offer unpaid work experience placements to people on legitimate courses - but most staff will have qualifications - either
- a 3 year degree in early years education
- a 3 year high school nursery nurse qualificaton
If you work in a Swedish daycare you are responsible for following the Swedish national curriculum for the early years and developing the kid's Swedish language

There are perhaps a couple of private daycares I can think off that might hire unqualified babysitters but they tend to be the ones where the kommun sweeps in and closes them for poor care standards

With your experience of babysitting - Probably the best bet is to look around for au-pair vacancies - if you google there are some more websites
http://www.aupair.com/find_family.php?quic...amp;language=en
http://www.easyaupair.com/aupair_jobs/Sweden/Stockholm/

The other option would be to see if some of the domestic service companies are hiring people for clealing and babysitting etc - some hire Englsh speakers for various jobs - for example this company is recruiting staff for cleaning. babysitting and cooking jobs
http://www.maidinsweden.se/about-us.asp
+
knagle
post 10.Feb.2012, 04:00 PM
Post #12

Unfortunately, with the fact that I do not have " maid" experience and so on, Ive been told via e-mail that it wouldnt work out. It seems awfully bleak unfortunately. You would be quite surprised as to how many british pubs require the swedish language! And I am trying to sort out my social number, but that is proving difficult also. Any tips ?
+
Puffin
post 10.Feb.2012, 04:37 PM
Post #13

Your best bet would be to look for a live-in au-pair job - you could look at this nanny job
http://www.arbetsformedlingen.se/4.38a41af...d99fbdb65800021

or be persistant on the bar/pubs - often better to go in person at a non-busy time like mid afternoon when the manager is there - often easier to get hired in person

Try to get your personal number sorted out or at least ask the tax office for a samordningsnumber (like a non resdent number) that you can use while looking for a job
+
knagle
post 13.Feb.2012, 08:10 PM
Post #14

Thanks Darlarna. Appreciate it alot! Unfortunately, Im closely verging on going back to Ireland if I dont get a job very soon! Really hope something comes up very soon.
+
StephenR
post 14.Feb.2012, 07:24 AM
Post #15

Puffin is the member, Dalarna is where they live. wink.gif
+

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: