The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Sunday Roast and trimmings

No chicken & no gravy on Yorkshires! :o

Puffin
post 6.Mar.2012, 10:05 AM
Post #1

Was reading this blog in the Guardian written by some sort of Sunday Lunch facist
- no chicken (except rarely)
- no gravy on your yorkshires
- no cauliflower cheese
- no apple sauce on Pork - except in sarnies
- only roast potatoes - mash is "too infantile"
- no peas - no mange tout

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wor...at-roast-dinner

So what is the perfect Sunday dinner? Or should we go more avant-garde with curry, thai or kebab pizza??? wink.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Snood
post 6.Mar.2012, 10:29 AM
Post #2

What a load of tosh. I rarely have a full Sunday roast, it's a lot of effort to go to for two people, so when we do have a roast, we usually invite some friends to join us.

When we do do it, we have Chicken, Roast Potatoes, Brocoli, Carrots, Peas, Sage & Onion Stuffing, gravy and any of a selection of Cauliflower cheese, Cranberry Sauce (actually, lingonsylt but it tastes the same), Mashed potatoes, asparagus, Yorkshire puddings.

I don't think there's any right or wrong with Sunday roasts, often what's in season works best. We don't eat red meat though so it's always Chicken.
+
byke
post 6.Mar.2012, 10:40 AM
Post #3

Love roast dinners.

But the best thing with roast dinners is sharing them with family and friends.
And the most entertaining thing about them is trying to describe what a Yorkshire pudding is to a Swede who has never eaten one. As no matter how you describe it, explaining that it's a type of bread made from a batter similar to pancakes always casts a dark and demented shadow laugh.gif
+
Puffin
post 6.Mar.2012, 10:48 AM
Post #4

I always enjoy trying to explain bread sauce to work colleagues - many of whom cannot get their head around the idea of how you make sauce out of bread biggrin.gif
+
Snood
post 6.Mar.2012, 10:50 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (byke @ 6.Mar.2012, 10:40 AM) *
And the most entertaining thing about them is trying to describe what a Yorkshire pudding is to a Swede who has never eaten one. As no matter how you describe it, explaining t ... (show full quote)

Yup, I just tell them it's a deformed pancake.
+
skogsbo
post 6.Mar.2012, 10:50 AM
Post #6

yorkshires as a starter is better, with gravy and mint sauce.

Edit- he has a point about cauliflower & cheese sauce, far better with thick cut chips and a nice piece of fish.
+
Puffin
post 6.Mar.2012, 10:57 AM
Post #7

Actually I really like cauliflower cheese with slices of Swedish Jul/Påsk ham - the creamyness with the saltiness is great!!
+
Snood
post 6.Mar.2012, 11:04 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 6.Mar.2012, 10:50 AM) *
Edit- he has a point about cauliflower & cheese sauce, far better with thick cut chips and a nice piece of fish.

You know that fish and chips is the most unhealthy thing you could possibly shove down your gullet and you're an idiot for even suggesting that it should be eaten? laugh.gif
+
Fishtank
post 6.Mar.2012, 11:20 AM
Post #9

Please refrain from talking about food so much.. it makes less mortals like me feel hungry smile.gif
Soon lunch time though...
+
skogsbo
post 6.Mar.2012, 11:31 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Snood @ 6.Mar.2012, 10:04 AM) *
You know that fish and chips is the most unhealthy thing you could possibly shove down your gullet and you're an idiot for even suggesting that it should be eaten? laugh.gif

yeah, I know. Shouldn't speak to soon before said person appears and tells me that adding a cheese sauce to it, has made it the most unhealthly meal in the universe. Even worse than dunking bacon rind in beef dripping!

No doubt they have an opinion on what is the correct format for a British Sunday lunch too.

Fishtank, I just had a fried egg sandwich, it was great. wink.gif
+
chazza
post 6.Mar.2012, 11:33 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Puffin @ 6.Mar.2012, 09:57 AM) *
Actually I really like cauliflower cheese with slices of Swedish Jul/Påsk ham - the creamyness with the saltiness is great!!

I love that same creamy salty combination from Janssons and ham - mmmmmmumms mumms
+
skogsbo
post 6.Mar.2012, 11:40 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Puffin @ 6.Mar.2012, 09:57 AM) *

I was taught to put a pinch of english mustard powder in the cheese sauce, to bring out the flavour of the cheese and add a tiny edge to the sauce overall.
+
Snood
post 6.Mar.2012, 11:43 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 6.Mar.2012, 11:40 AM) *
I was taught to put a pinch of english mustard poweder in the cheese sauce, to bring out the flavour of the cheese and add a tiny edge to the sauce overall.

Yup, my mum taught me the same and I always add mustard powder. I add it for the cheese sauce in lasagne also. .. also in cheese scones... damn it, I want some cheese scones now.
+
Rick Methven
post 6.Mar.2012, 12:30 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (byke @ 6.Mar.2012, 10:40 AM) *
Love roast dinners.But the best thing with roast dinners is sharing them with family and friends.And the most entertaining thing about them is trying to describe what a Yorksh ... (show full quote)

We once had the discussion with Swedish relatives who had never eaten Yorkshire pudding as to what it was like, that they knew. My wife eventually came up with the answer that it was like fläskpankakor utan fläsk rolleyes.gif
+
byke
post 6.Mar.2012, 12:36 PM
Post #15

Rick, its always fun to see how different people describe it and how others interpret it.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: