The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Barbecue cooking styles in Sweden

Do Swedes like it the same way as Americans?

norling
post 2.Aug.2009, 05:20 PM
Post #1

Hi do people in Sweden like to slowly barbecue meats over a smokey fire the way we like to in the states? I started my pit this morning and will have a pork shoulder done at 1900 tonight.
Go to the top of the page
+
Tennessee Thunder
post 2.Aug.2009, 06:50 PM
Post #2

Hey Norling,Swedes don't have a clue how to BBQ,ya can't even get a good steak here,no T-Bones,no N.Y Strip.
They don't know how to use BBQ sauce,,If you can find it,,here It,s called grill oil,,which is a joke,good luck with the BBQ tho.
+
stan dan deliver
post 2.Aug.2009, 06:52 PM
Post #3

we had relatives over last week..all that bozo did was barbeque every night..jesus he did it right by our lounge doors..stunk the friken house out every night..me being veggie aswell
+
Tennessee Thunder
post 2.Aug.2009, 06:58 PM
Post #4

Stan,you need a one inch thick Smoked T-Bone steak,little red in the middle...
Some deep fried steak fries and then all that smoke would be worthwhile.
+
byke
post 2.Aug.2009, 07:11 PM
Post #5

I would love to try this... I just dont know too much about it.
There is a few butchers you can get special cuts of meat if needed (Taylors etc ...)
Also there is a butchers in Sickla centrum (Stockholm) which is part of Texas Horn resturaunt that does other types of meat ... never tried those cuts but they look ok.
+
jack sprat
post 2.Aug.2009, 07:23 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Tennessee Thunder @ 2.Aug.2009, 06:50 PM) *
Hey Norling,Swedes don't have a clue how to BBQ,ya can't even get a good steak here,no T-Bones,no N.Y Strip.

Very true,only poor quality scraps in most of the shops and much of that weighed down with water,scraped off the floor or redated.

The only decent meat here is still trotting about on four legs,so you either buy it that way or go out and shoot it yourself.
That way you can fix all the big Juicy Steaks, T-bones and Joints you want.
+
byke
post 2.Aug.2009, 07:34 PM
Post #7

Considering that sweden eats so much junk meat (korv, "gryt" etc ...) I wonder if Sweden has to export many of the nicer cuts or even import the sh*t that swedes love to eat
+
norling
post 2.Aug.2009, 07:50 PM
Post #8

Well I live in the states and I mostly do my own. It doesn't sound like the materials needed are available. I started my roast yesterday by dredging it in a spicey rub then letting it sit over night. This morning at 0600 I started my pit with all natural lump charcoal and brought the temp. up to 200 deg. far. than I added some chunks of hickory wood and then the pork shoulder on the grill side so the meat is well away from the fire. When the internal temp. is 195 deg. far. it is done, usually about 8 to 12 hours. the meat falls apart and is guaranteed to turn even the most militant vegan into a blood thirsty carnivore.
+
norling
post 2.Aug.2009, 08:25 PM
Post #9

By the way my grandfather was a Swedish immigrant and we had homemade korv every xmas. Love it.
+
jack sprat
post 2.Aug.2009, 08:42 PM
Post #10

Most of the korv sold in the shops here is absolute garbage,I wouldnt even give to the dog.

There are however some very tasty, good quality German Bratwursts available in many supermarkets,some with a high percentage of decent meat, and a few others maybe not quite so good.
+
norling
post 2.Aug.2009, 08:49 PM
Post #11

In the US its just the opposite you have to go to the small shops to get good sausage.
+
kerostarfx
post 2.Aug.2009, 08:49 PM
Post #12

I've been to the Texas Longhorn in Linköping, it's just not the same sad.gif

For any Austin folks out there, I was in Töreboda a few weeks ago checking out Ace of Base...when I came around some random import store there and found some Stubb's BBQ sauce! I totally bought it smile.gif

As soon as I got home I made some bbq wings with the saunce! It was sooooo good!!
+
Plowbridge
post 2.Aug.2009, 09:26 PM
Post #13

Struts korv (Ostrich sausages) are freely available in ICA and I can recommend as a tasty, dense banger ideal for the BBQ.

Agree with the general consensus that the Swedes are not yet up to cooking a good steak but I got the father-in-law to lash some Jim Bean sauce on the meat the other day and that was definitely an improvement.
+
norling
post 2.Aug.2009, 09:48 PM
Post #14

Ostrich sausage sounds good. A good beef steak is the easiest thing in the world to prepare, if its a good cut of meat than you either pan fry it or grill it and no more than 3 or 4 mins. a side. When its good and rare the juices are sauce enough.
+
kerostarfx
post 2.Aug.2009, 10:55 PM
Post #15

Stubb's is one of the best BBQ places in Texas ^^ I trust their sauce! http://www.stubbsaustin.com/rest_home.html

Some Swede must have like the place well enough to import the sauce to some random store in Töreboda! biggrin.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: