The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Hit a brick wall in life

Hiking groups??

tonygsmart
post 20.Aug.2016, 02:38 AM
Post #1

Hej,
Lived here for 5 years now (in Hamburgsund,Tanum) and gotta say that I'm really struggling with the loneliness aspect of life in the Swedish countryside. My girls are both very settled and happy here ...and my ex is back home in Sweden so she is happy too...but I've found it unbearably lonely the entire time.
Got a new (ish) job in Tanum Shopping Center that takes up all my time and energy ...so need to do something with my weekends.
Such a beautiful country ...and I could do with more exercise. Can anyone help with finding me a hiking group that I can join?? There must be some in Göteborg itself ...just groups of hikers/ramblers that take a walk together at weekends.
Thanks a lot...really appreciate any help you can offer
Tony Smart
Go to the top of the page
+
hatim
post 20.Aug.2016, 09:28 AM
Post #2

If there is no group in your area then try to make one.
+
cherrybubble
post 20.Aug.2016, 09:57 AM
Post #3

Check out meetups, I know they have a few quite active hiking groups here in Stockholm that meet up over weekends. I've added a link to the meetups in Göteborg. There might be other meetups that you find interesting...

Meetups in Göteborg
+
Bsmith
post 20.Aug.2016, 11:26 AM
Post #4

Tonysmart, I've been thinking about you. Your original post sounded so gloomy and I was worried about you. Congrats on the new job! I hope it is to your liking. Are you hitting the gym and staying in shape? A healthy body can contribute to a healthy and happy emotional state. A hiking group sounds like a great idea. A good way to meet people and get some fresh air and exercise. Anyway, I wish you the best. Better times are a'coming!
+
tonygsmart
post 20.Aug.2016, 01:21 PM
Post #5

Thanks Cherry. Found a Meet up hiking group in Oslo...which sounds perfect (apart from the getting there and back on public transport aspect biggrin.gif .wil keep looking.
And thanks Bsmith. The new job is ok...although all day,more of less,on my own in a kitchen...long days too (get home at 22:30!)...so the prospect of hitting the gym at the weekends doesn't appeal as you can understand. But,on the upside,I am losing weight biggrin.gif
But the idea of a hike at weekends somewhere scenic sounds very appealing...so I'll try and find a group to join.
Thanks again guys. In an existence that seems so solitary sometimes it's nice when some people try to help.
Enjoy your weekend x
+
skogsbo
post 21.Aug.2016, 09:07 PM
Post #6

as a mountaineer who lives about 3 hours east of you, my advice would be ask at the climbing wall in town, most people who do one sport in the hills, do others too. Everyone will know someone who walks, not just climbs etc.. The west coast by you has some of Sweden's better climbing, there will be few outdoors clubs there.
+
Bsmith
post 22.Aug.2016, 02:06 PM
Post #7

Tony, about 25 years ago, I hit a brick wall in life. My first wife met another and left me. I was devastated and depressed. After suffering awhile I decided that I could go on and use my misfortune as an excuse to sink to the bottom, or as motivation to get my life together. Thank God, I chose the latter path. For me, that involved a mind, body, spirit rejuvenation. I went back to school and got my masters degree which involved my mind and also moved me up on the salary schedule. I got serious about going to the gym and doing strength training, running and enrolled in a martial arts class. I made it a point to eat healthy and get plenty of rest. Physical wellness and emotional wellness are tied together. Finally, I bought a copy of the "Student Bible" (the Bible written in modern, easy to understand language with analysis and read it from cover to cover. I found a church to attend regularly and asked God to part of my life. Since that time, I met and married a wonderful woman, was blessed with two daughters who have turned out great and have had many wonderful experiences and can say that I am truly happy.

I don't know or wouldn't even presume to tell you what path you should take in life. But dragging through life and being unhappy is a waste of precious time. Figure out what you want out of life and how to achieve it. You only get one life. Live it like you mean it.

Good luck and best wishes.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: