The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Swedes can not be trusted with alcohol

Alfredo
post 28.Aug.2007, 11:47 AM
Post #1

Thank the lord for Systembolaget, because otherwise we can look forward to seeing an additional 1500 alcohol related deaths, and 14000 additional charges for assault, each year.

http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/1.816213/n...k-okar-supandet

Swedes simply cannot be trusted with alcohol!

(PS. A further comment on junk journalism is required, though. This 'article', in my opinion, should be in a debate or opinion section, not a news section. This all helps to blur the line between 'opinion' and 'fact'. An example, of how crap and lazy the media has become - don't even know why I bother going on, though, 'cause this is simply too boring ... )
Go to the top of the page
+
Sergeantofstockholm
post 28.Aug.2007, 12:11 PM
Post #2

This report (also here http://www.thelocal.se/8314/20070828/ ) is out and out propaganda

I am constantly astounded at how regularly the Swedish public seem to accept the word of 'authority' without a critical capacity to dismantle the obvious self-interest in such 'research'

It's quite depressing

By the rationale of this report alcohol should be banned then? Or is the current level of alcohol related death and incident at the azimuth of acceptibility?

and that's even before we get into a question of Systemet's role in CREATING a destructive drinking culture in this country...
+
Holecutter > The Howl ...
post 28.Aug.2007, 12:21 PM
Post #3

I'm all for doing away with systembollocks, not for the obvious reasons. No, I just want to feel secure in the knowledge that a bunch of Swedes who can't Handel the booze will do great harm and damage to themselves...great news.

They often say that Swedish politicians and their bureaucracy are the dumbest, this report provides more proof to that fact.

:twisted:
+
CptAmerica
post 28.Aug.2007, 12:30 PM
Post #4

rotfl...Holey, this post made me laugh so hard my sides hurt. Nice one...
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 28.Aug.2007, 12:35 PM
Post #5

Is it worth pointing out that the research was led by an American rather than a Swede?

From a personal perspective, on those nights when you head round to someone's (or someone heads round to yours) after the pub then I probably would buy stark öl if available instead of folk öl, so my alcohol intake would go up. Marginally. I don't think it would lead to violence and death though.
+
Beef
post 28.Aug.2007, 12:48 PM
Post #6

Maybe, but would you have gone and bought 12 beers before going out? If you knew that you could get them anytime?? Remember your days back in London. People rarely have any alcohol in stock, also I doubt even with liberalisation here you would see licensed premisis after 1am.. ...
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 28.Aug.2007, 12:55 PM
Post #7

That's what I mean - I'm disorganised and very rarely get it together to have beer in the fridge unless I'm planning having people over. If I could nip into an all-night shop on route home then I'd be more likely to drink stronger beer thus my intake would go up.

However I agree entirely that Sweden is some way off having shops open all night so it's probably irrelevant. All that would really happen is that instead of hauling myself out to catch Systemet at quarter to three I would be able to have a proper lie in and wander down later in the afternoon in a more leisurely and civilised fashion. Which, clearly, would rent the very fabric of society in twain and cause the sky to fall on our heads.
+
Beef
post 28.Aug.2007, 01:45 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
That's what I mean - I'm disorganised and very rarely get it together to have beer in the fridge unless I'm planning having people over. If I could nip into an all-night shop on route home then I'd be more likely to drink stronger beer thus my intake would go up.

But as someone pointed out, the systemet has to take some responsibility for creating such a way of drinking. People buy so much whn they go in. Like you just don't see in ANY other country. the place is packed solid at peak times with security guards like you don¨t see in ANY other country. People are organized..

Maybe just maybe with liberalisation people would not have that bottle of whisky in and/or crate of beer in because they know they can get it any time, and if they are anything like me the consumption would go down because when it came to it, they couldn't be arsed to go out and get it..
+
CptAmerica
post 28.Aug.2007, 02:11 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
Is it worth pointing out that the research was led by an American rather than a Swede?

Yes, lets talk about that since it is so relevant to this thread :roll:
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 28.Aug.2007, 02:18 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (CptAmerica)
Yes, lets talk about that since it is so relevant to this thread :roll:

As I need to spell it out, the point being that to criticise Swedes for being dumb using this report as proof is, ironically, rather dumb, since the report was spearheaded by a non-Swede. If your insecurity demands that you interpret this as some kind of anti-Americanism then I suggest the problem lies with you.
+
Sergeantofstockholm
post 28.Aug.2007, 02:24 PM
Post #11

The report was authored by an American leading an international team

However it was commissioned and published by an organ of the Swedish state so the nationality of the author isn't really relevant

The team's findings are in line with Swedish Government policy - what a nice coinkydink
+
*Arca*
post 28.Aug.2007, 02:28 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Alfredo)
PS. A further comment on junk journalism is required

And if the result had been the opposite, you'd be cheering and dancing instead of warning against junk journalism. biggrin.gif

So how long before the EU adopts the Swedish alcohol policy?
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 28.Aug.2007, 02:29 PM
Post #13

Are the report findings in line with general Swedish opinion? I genuinely don't know. I find Systemet's opening hours a nuisance, but, you know, that's how it is. There are worse things in life. I think the report is probably bang on, since I so rarely get my arse over to Systemet in time on a Saturday (and am working during its opening hours weekdays), so I would be likely to buy more booze if I could get it at Hemköp. It doesn't seem unlikely that others would too.

UK police have recently favoured increased restrictions on alcohol sales in order to combat crime. In the UK children shoot each other. Maybe me not being able to buy a bottle of plonk at 7pm on a Saturday is worth it in the long run.
+
Beef
post 28.Aug.2007, 02:32 PM
Post #14

That's a bit harsh Arca! Aldredo points out that this is not news! Also the swedish propoganda supporting the monopoly is intense! Look at those gigantic articles in teh t-bana, metro etc.. only one side is ever presented, and that should certainly never be news, regardless!!
+
Sergeantofstockholm
post 28.Aug.2007, 03:05 PM
Post #15

@ Arca

but the result WASN'T the opposite and further to that I'm 99% sure (margin of error+/- 2%) that if the findings of the 'international team of scientists' HAD been the opposite then the report would not have been published

@VHW

I think the overall issue is one of social and State control rather than availability of alcohol

(the recent shooting in the UK is hardly relevant)

The bottom line is this;
The Swedish State persistently forces the opinion that Systemet is a necessary monopoly in order to protect public health, which is a blatant lie.

I would much rather they just admitted that it's too much of a cash cow for them to let go without a fight.

It's all a shame really as despite the fact of Systemet's existence alcohol consumption doubled in Sweden between 1994 and 2004 and its effects are quite clear to anyone who has even spent a weekend in this country.

In France they actually consume more than twice the amount of alcohol per year per capita than they do in Sweden and yet they don't have the same level of alcohol related incident let alone double
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: