The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Renewing your Visa / Passport

Swindu
post 22.Mar.2007, 02:48 PM
Post #16

more info:

http://stockholm.usembassy.gov/Consulate/am_cit_index.html
Go to the top of the page
+
post 22.Mar.2007, 03:03 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Elvis Left The Building)
I asked my US accountant just yesterday (tax filing time) if that is the fact and her reply was no. It appears I should follow up on this without opinions. I don't plan on moving back to the states BUT you have to keep your options open for whatever, whenever...

i know two (unrelated) americans who just moved back to the US after living here not filing in the US. both had to go through lawyers to get things settled, though i don't recall much sweating on their side, just hassle and likely expense to the lawyers. both are good at keeping their papers in order and that probably helped. i suck at paper archiving so this is my nightmare.

another suggestion for anyone ever considering the move back...make sure you have some sort of ongoing credit record.

one friend who moved back, has a ton of money and property, a fat salary and an international company to vouch for her has had all sorts of trouble with the simplest of things like getting store credit or macy's card--something any redneck on welfare would be eligible for.

i still maintain a few credit cards for this reason.
+
Elvis Has Left The Buildi...
post 22.Mar.2007, 03:08 PM
Post #18

yeah I have a card or two also and my swede asked me a few times about why I keep them, for that exact reason options

I will definately keep up with the taxes but what happens when you have income?

I am filing now for last year because I worked in the states last year. They actually owe me money biggrin.gif
+
Swedy
post 22.Mar.2007, 03:14 PM
Post #19

[quote="Elvis Left The Building"]yeah I have a card or two also and my swede asked me a few times about why I keep them, for that exact reason options

Question (for 007 too)

How do you keep these cards? Do you still have a US postal address. or famil that help you out.

See that is one of my BIGGEST problems. I can not trust any of my USA family to help me out. More like I am bailing them out...And I have yet to figure out how to get a PO box in the states that will forward to sweden. (if anyone knows how I could do this please share.)

But I will be looking into finding a person that knows US Tax laws that can help here in sweden. Only one I found was in Gothenburg (im nearest to Stockholm). And I have called the US embassy and they offer no help. Only when tax return time comes around. and huh..when is that???
+
post 22.Mar.2007, 03:14 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Elvis Left The Building)
I will definately keep up with the taxes but what happens when you have income?

if you earn less than about 80,000 USD per year, you own them nothing anyway...if you earn more, there's a reciprocal tax agreement between sweden and the US, so the tax you pay here is all you'd have to pay anyway...

so...you're debt to the US IRS is zero in nearly every aspect.

i barely read the forms...fill in mostly zeros at the end parts, photocopy what i get from skattemyndigheten, sign and send it in (by June 15 --automatic extension for living abroad)

like i said...takes about 30 minutes including figuring out which center to send to, affixing the stamp and licking the envelope.

doesn't count walking to the mailbox...that's different for all of us laugh.gif
+
post 22.Mar.2007, 03:19 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Swedy)
How do you keep these cards? Do you still have a US postal address. or famil that help you out.

my billing address is here and not in the US...no prob. the few times i've charged something on them and had to pay in US currency i've:

--sent traveler's checks
--paid via my bank (a bit of a fee)
--asked for a relative to send a check in US funds and reimbursed when visiting.
+
Streja
post 22.Mar.2007, 04:51 PM
Post #22

My sambo hasn't got a sticker in his passport and never had. He's got a new one now. Should he go to Migrationsverket and get a sticker? He's got PUT...
+
B.b
post 22.Mar.2007, 05:24 PM
Post #23

just get dual its easier when you travel alot specially in eu...i have both...when you travel to us you most use us pass...while in europe use swedish and take both just incase...
+
*bunny*
post 23.Apr.2007, 09:40 AM
Post #24

Hi anyone knows how does Swedish government tax a US citizen like me for the income I have in US?

I moved here end of 2005, but the house sale took sometime to settle in 2006.

Does tha mean Swedish government has can tax the capital gain of my house??

It's really not fair! Swedish governemt has nothing to do with my past. :evil:
+
Puffin
post 23.Apr.2007, 10:36 AM
Post #25

Even if you have a PUT sticker "utan tidsbegränsning" you still have to renew the sticker every three years. This is usually just a formality whereby you turn up and they stick a new one in your passport. Look at the small print at the bottom of the sticker there is a date.

It is mainly a measure that attempts to reduce fraud whereby people with permanent residence move away from Sweden but continue to claim benefits etc.

So the choice is yours once you have done enough years to have PUT - continue to make a trip to Migrationsverket every few years to renew or claim dual citizenship.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: