The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

obtaining benefits right after moving to sweden

applying for identification number

boribranch
post 2.Jan.2015, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Me and my husband want to move to sweden. We live in the USA but I am a EU member. He is a US citizen. I know that we can just move there any time because of my right of residency anywhere in the EU and I can bring family too. I will not be working but my husband will be. However he will have the same job he has now he will just work remotely. So he will not be employed by a swedish company but we will have more than enough money to support ourselves. Based on all this can we apply for a personal identification number as soon as we get there? So we can start receiving benefits.
Go to the top of the page
+
Hallander
post 2.Jan.2015, 06:04 PM
Post #2

What kind of benefits are you referring to ? Think carefully how you respond, it will determine the response you get at least on here huh.gif
+
trumanshow
post 2.Jan.2015, 06:08 PM
Post #3

Are you sure you are not trolling? Saying things like 'how soon can i get my benefits?' is asking for a world of pain!! How dare you, coming over here, not paying tax, etc. etc.

You need to look up how much money you need to support your family and have that money in an account to prove you can support yourself before getting a PN. Im not sure about the legalities of being in Sweden and your partner not being EU. I would assume he has no rights to access state benefits like health etc. I think you would both need private health insurance in order for you to get a PN.

I suppose if your partner carries on working he should probably do that as a self employed person in Sweden and then get into the system that way.

Its a very, very long path you are embarking on if your plan is to both be fully paid up members of Swedish society and therefore be able to copiously suck from the Swedish teat!
+
Marmi
post 2.Jan.2015, 06:17 PM
Post #4

Oh my, where to begin... You as an EU citizen are allowed to move to Sweden (provided that you can support yourself, or have a job), but your husband can't just pick up and move to Sweden all willy nilly, he has to apply for a resident permit BEFORE heading to Sweden.

It sounds to me like you need to read up a LOT more before the two of you head to Sweden. It comes off to me as you think that since you are an EU citizen that's all you need. That's not the case.
+
Case officer
post 2.Jan.2015, 06:37 PM
Post #5

You have a right of residence in Sweden as a EU citizen as long as you can support yourself and have access to a comprehensive medical insurance. A comprehensive medical insurance is an insurance that will pay for all kinds of medical care, hospital accomodation, prescription medicine, medical transportation and medical rehabilitation. If you met those requirements then your husband can work in Sweden. If you can not support yourself or lack the insurance then you can only stay for a maximum of 90 days in Sweden, then leave.
+
cherrybubble
post 2.Jan.2015, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Well, as an EU ctizen you are entitled to a rental apartment and monthly maintenance allowance from the government. If you have children or other dependents your family will also receive extra allowance for each dependent. The government employment agency will liase with potential employers to help you secure a job but as long as you?re waiting for that to happen you will have your government allowance, whic is pretty generous to be honest. Most people find it enough to live on and even go on the ocassional vacation to thailand and, well, if your husband is working you guys will be just fine. Make sure you ask for the weekly apartment cleaning service that the government promises and also for the gauranteed summer cottage.
Call skatteverket and ask, depending on need they sometimes offer moving cost grants as well as plane ticket discounts.
/sarcasm
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 2.Jan.2015, 11:14 PM
Post #7

Forgetting the unlimited limo/taxi free service, aren't you?
+
LLHope
post 5.Jan.2015, 01:50 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (boribranch @ 2.Jan.2015, 04:59 PM) *
Me and my husband want to move to sweden. We live in the USA but I am a EU member. He is a US citizen. I know that we can just move there any time because of my right of resid ... (show full quote)
Freedom of Movement allows you to travel and stay for up to 90 days, but after that you must meet the requirements for Right of Residence or leave.

QUOTE (boribranch @ 2.Jan.2015, 04:59 PM) *
I will not be working but my husband will be. However he will have the same job he has now he will just work remotely. So he will not be employed by a swedish company but we w ... (show full quote)

Your husband cannot work without a work permit, unless YOU meet the Right of Residence requirements and he is an accompanying family member. Claiming that your husband will support you is a potential catch 22 situation since in theory He cannot work without a work permit since you do not have Right of Residence, and you do not have Right of Residence as person of sufficient means (supported by husband working) because he cannot be here working unless you have Right of Residence (or he has a work permit) biggrin.gif ...potential catch 22.

Also note that your husband will be liable to pay Swedish income tax and Swedish employers social costs unless his company makes the arrangement with the Tax Authorities to pay it for him. This will be a cost increase for the employer, which they may not be willing to accept. If your husband is self-employed then expect to pay more than 50% in taxes.
+
badkarma
post 5.Jan.2015, 04:29 PM
Post #9

fyi. even if you were eligible to live in Sweden (which I dont think you are) you wont receive any financial benefits if your husband has a fulltime job. regardless if its in the US or not. Its income based.
+
Rick Methven
post 5.Jan.2015, 05:04 PM
Post #10

Anybody else noticed that the OP has not made any other posts since starting this thread. I wonder why? rolleyes.gif
+
Hisingen
post 6.Jan.2015, 11:47 PM
Post #11

Might I suggest it be due to one of two things.
1. A severe attack of cold feet.

2. A damned troll.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: