The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Please! Is there ONE good Indian restaurant in Stockholm?

Lord Jagged
post 7.Apr.2006, 02:55 AM
Post #1

Hello,

I'm a newbie here living in the UK, my connection to Sweden is my fiance who lives in Ostertalje...does that make me elligable for this forum? biggrin.gif
Take it from me, I'm Ryanair's best customer and have even become used to the bizarre and alarming alcohol legislation in Sweden...not an easy thing for an Englishman.
The problem for me is the food. If you can call it food. I'm more of a drinker myself but every now and again I feel the need for a curry just to keep the vitamin level on par. However, I have come to the conclusion that the Indian restaurant owners in Sweden are playing a subtle, yet devastating trick on the populace. If they tried to serve that crap they advertise on the menu in England they would be chased up a tree and set fire to. It's not that it's just badly cooked, tiny portioned culinary garbage, they have the bloody cheek to charge enough to buy a f*cking Volvo and summer villa on Gotland for it.

Can someone please advise of just ONE good Indian restaurant in Stockholm? biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Beth
post 7.Apr.2006, 06:58 AM
Post #2

welcome Lord Jagged,

östertälje certainly qualifies you for the forum, though there might be stockholmers who would say no :wink:

when you compare the quality of an indian restaurant to those you can find in the UK i think you will never be satisfied with what you find here in stockholm.

but if you want decent prices and comparatively good indian, try Indira on Bondegatan (söder)
Tre Indier also on söder has pretty good food.

but you have my sympathy. i have always felt the same about chinese. though i am quite satisfied with Ho's on hornsgatan.

good luck and don't starve.
+
Wanna-be
post 7.Apr.2006, 07:11 AM
Post #3

Lord Jagged

Welcome, your post made me laugh, but this is sweden mate and its going to be interesting to see how you cope with the "land of nod" in the future. So keep posting and, if you really want to let of steam, go to "the hole" thread where anything goes:

:twisted:
+
Vive La Suède
post 7.Apr.2006, 07:25 AM
Post #4

Out of the 70 or so indian restaurants in Stockholm, only 3 or so are run by Indians. They are mostly run by Bangladeshis and use the name of India to attract customers. That explains the reason why the flavour is not really Indian. I can say this for sure as I am an Indian in Stockholm.
+
Alfredo
post 7.Apr.2006, 07:27 AM
Post #5

I would go Thai instead ...

Thai restaurants are opening up all the time in Sweden.

Great food !
+
Alfredo
post 7.Apr.2006, 07:29 AM
Post #6

Vive, that's interesting you should say that, because back home in England, my favourite place is a Bangladeshi restaurant, and they make the point of saying they are Bangladeshi, not Indian!

Their food is toppen too!
+
Littlest Hobo
post 7.Apr.2006, 07:42 AM
Post #7

I'm with Lord Jagged on this one...having tried 10 or so indian restaraunts in Stockholm area, I'm starting to understand those stories you read of rock stars paying £2000 to fly their favourite take away curry first class out to them when they're on tour...the worst case was last week...we paid over £20 a head for what can be describes as "Homepride cook in sauce" poured over some chicken!

Its got so bad, we've decided to have a proper English style curry night! I'll be importing the sauces etc...and maybe even some poor English lager too, though spendrups will probably do :wink:

There used to be a really good Indian along Stora Nygatan...but i think its now a russian restaraunt... sad.gif
+
*Crusader*
post 7.Apr.2006, 07:51 AM
Post #8

Hailing from the Balti capital of the world, I agree that Stockholm has very little to offer.

Best bet is to make it yourself.
+
*David OL*
post 7.Apr.2006, 07:54 AM
Post #9

I'm off the Injin stuff here now after a night out at a place in Rådmansgatan. It was authentic as it gets when it comes to Indian -- I even had a friendly chat to the guys about cricket.

Only problem was I got a bad case of the *Calcutta splutters* for the following two days...
:x
+
Littlest Hobo
post 7.Apr.2006, 07:54 AM
Post #10

You a brummie then?!?!
+
*Crusader*
post 7.Apr.2006, 08:02 AM
Post #11

not quite... but almost

to the west a few km's
+
Alfredo
post 7.Apr.2006, 08:03 AM
Post #12

I guess you're talking about Birmingham ...

In many ways, it might be better to start comparing Birmingham with Stockholm, rather than London ... hmm ... or even places like Manchester and Liverpool ...
+
Dub
post 7.Apr.2006, 08:04 AM
Post #13

Jagged, you better start developing a liking for kebab and pizza very quick. Cos thats all every suburb in Stockholm has to offer .. anywhere and everywhere. And this here is the only local in Stockholm. I'm convinced that there are no proper pubs outside of the city.

One thing I miss from home is being able to look up one of the 20 or so flyers I would have in the house and ring for a chinese or indian or something. Non existent here.
+
*Crusader*
post 7.Apr.2006, 08:06 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Alfredo)
I guess you're talking about Birmingham ...

In many ways, it might be better to start comparing Birmingham with Stockholm, rather than London ... hmm ... or even places like Manchester and Liverpool ...

you lost me there?

I think the guy's just after a decent curry, and will be dissapointed if he's looking in Stockholm.
+
Littlest Hobo
post 7.Apr.2006, 08:07 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Crusader)
not quite... but almost

to the west a few km's

Oooh Lucky escape :wink:

I'm from a few Km's SE...
+

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: