The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

Please! Is there ONE good Indian restaurant in Stockholm?

Beth
post 7.Apr.2006, 10:50 AM
Post #31

QUOTE (Jason aka Bladerunner)
Me: "How spicy is it when you make it hot?"
Them: "Oh is very very spicy!"
Me: "Thai spicy...or Swedish Spicy."
Them: "Oh is very spicy for Sweden."
Me: "I want Thai spicy - please - very very spicy"
Them: *look at me like I am crazy*
Me: "No...really...I want it very spicy."
Them: "Ok..."

be careful what you wish for...this exchange goes on regularly for us (thai, indian, chinese etc) and very often in stockholm you get the bite.
Go to the top of the page
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 7.Apr.2006, 10:52 AM
Post #32

QUOTE (Beth)
be careful what you wish for...this exchange goes on regularly for us (thai, indian, chinese etc) and very often in stockholm you get the bite.

Seeing would be believing... :twisted:
+
Alfredo
post 7.Apr.2006, 11:06 AM
Post #33

Jason

You must have burnt off your tastebuds or something ... you is not normal ... rofl ...

To be fair though, my kids' friends, who are Thai, say the same about my 'Thai' cooking. Like, where's the heat ?

I freely admit, when it comes to curry, I probably go for the medium end.

Do you throw extra chilli on your food, like the Nepalese ?
+
Thepartygirl
post 7.Apr.2006, 11:20 AM
Post #34

Jason...honey, you're welcome to try my cooking anytime...I will be sure to make you sweat.
+
Beth
post 7.Apr.2006, 11:35 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (Jason aka Bladerunner)
Seeing would be believing... :twisted:

or tasting :wink:
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 7.Apr.2006, 11:39 AM
Post #36

QUOTE (Thepartygirl)
Jason...honey, you're welcome to try my cooking anytime...I will be sure to make you sweat.

With the cooking or you have something else in mind? Giggity giggity giggity!!!

Sorry...I could not resist...but I have to admit that I do not back down from hot foods. I just love them for some psychotic reason. One of my friends suprised me with a bottle of "Ass in Hell" hot sauce...and then watched me put it all over my pizza and munch away happily.

I think I have only had one or two occasions when I got food that was too "too hot" to enjoy.
+
Rellstar
post 7.Apr.2006, 11:42 AM
Post #37

Try the Agra Tandoori at Fridhemsplan ( Hantverkarg. 84,). Very good chicken curries!
+
Tuaman
post 7.Apr.2006, 12:39 PM
Post #38

It?s strange that all the curry houses are rubbish in Stockholm, even if you say they are run by Bangladeshi?s? All the curry houses on Brick Lane back home (London) are Bangladeshi and the food is always very good, especially at Nazral II?

On a related note has anyone tried to get Crispy Peking Duck over here?? You know, with the pancakes and plum sauce. I went in to one Chinese and asked for it, they said you need to order 2 days in advance and it costs 1500SEK ? Unbelievable.

Ps if anyone from the Nazral is reading, please send me a chicken dansak, mushroom rice and a keema naan, Oh and 3 or 4 large Cobra?s to wash it down.
+
*Gully Gull*
post 7.Apr.2006, 12:43 PM
Post #39

There is a lot of good Indian/Bangladeshi food to be had in Stockholm, it's also probably by far the most reasonably priced eat-in food you can get.

There is a cracking Indian on Magnus Ladulåsgatan, fogotten its name but it's a few doors down from Netto. It is the best in my book with a great menu selection.

Indian Garden, as already mentioned, is good, Bangladesh I think is certainly okay, Allora (sp?) on Hornsgatan is not bad either and a nice environment, Happy India gets good reviews but I think it is okayish. There is also an Indian near Fridhemsplan, if you walk toards Västerbron, which does phal curries if you want to have your insides destroyed.

All in all I have never been lost for good Indian food in Stockholm, but as saisd, the Chinese stuff is little short of abysmal.
+
Fredde
post 7.Apr.2006, 12:44 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (Vive La Suède)
Out of the 70 or so indian restaurants in Stockholm, only 3 or so are run by Indians. They are mostly run by Bangladeshis and use the name of India to attract customers. That explains the reason why the flavour is not really Indian. I can say this for sure as I am an Indian in Stockholm.

Same with the UK mate!!

I believe there are some proper Punjabi places in Stockholm though?
+
Rachel F
post 7.Apr.2006, 01:49 PM
Post #41

My twelve year old laughs in the face of what passes for vindaloo in this town.

All the waiters were most concerned when she ordered it but she just ate it nonchelantly - bring it on you big wussies!!

Not even up to a decent madras standard really.
+
Lord Jagged
post 7.Apr.2006, 02:19 PM
Post #42

My God, I was only expecting a few replies! It seems I've opened a can of worms here. biggrin.gif
Thank you all for the advice, I'll send a link to "She who must be obeyed" so she can make her choice.
I had to laugh (and agree) with a few of the replies. What is the obsession with kebabs and pizza? The competition is fierce in Ostertalje...one kebab house and one pizza delivery service. And tough titty if you don't like either...who thought it was a good idea to put mayonaise on a bloody kebab? After a week I was pining for chili sauce... biggrin.gif
Going on to the alcohol tangent I was informed, much to my amazement, that systembollock (or whatever it's called) is closed at the weekend. Just when you need it! What's that all about? It's bad enough standing in line clutching a ticket like the naughty trainee alcoholic you are, but to close at weekends? Time to storm parliament I suspect.

Thanks again.
+
Fredde
post 7.Apr.2006, 03:02 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Mak)
Jagged,

Try Anna Khan in Ostermalm. I often take our Indian customers there. It's Indian-Swedish fushion which is quite interesting. You can get some classic Indian dishes alongside a slab of reindeer.

I second this. They used to have a Sikh chef that churned out some pretty nice stuff.
The best food I have had is in the Sikh temple in Tullinge when having their Langar.. divine!
+
etuna
post 7.Apr.2006, 03:06 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (Lord Jagged)
Hello,
I'm more of a drinker myself but every now and again I feel the need for a curry just to keep the vitamin level on par.

A man after my own fart. I'd kill for a decent Ruby
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 7.Apr.2006, 03:07 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (Lord Jagged)
My God, I was only expecting a few replies! It seems I've opened a can of worms here. biggrin.gif
Thank you all for the advice, I'll send a link to "She who must be obeyed" so she can make her choice.
I had to laugh (and agree) with a few of the replies. What is the obsession with kebabs and pizza? The competition is fierce in Ostertalje...one kebab house and one pizza delivery service. And tough titty if you don't like either...who thought it was a good idea to put mayonaise on a bloody kebab? After a week I was pining for chili sauce... biggrin.gif
Going on to the alcohol tangent I was informed, much to my amazement, that systembollock (or whatever it's called) is closed at the weekend. Just when you need it! What's that all about? It's bad enough standing in line clutching a ticket like the naughty trainee alcoholic you are, but to close at weekends? Time to storm parliament I suspect.

Thanks again.

Couple of quick things before I go accidently burn myself with concentrated sulfuric acid again (hey - I am just saying that it will happen, and it wont happen on purpose):

Swedish Kebab = good
Swedish Pizza = C R A P(no toppings, tasteless sauce, way overpriced for the shite you get - unless you get good traditional Italian or American Pizza...and then its way overpriced, even though its good)

System Bollocks is open on the weekend...just not on Sunday...and only for 4 or 5 hours (depends on which one you go to) on Saturday...thats from about 1000 - 1400/1500. hell...I dont like to get up before 1400 on Saturdays if I can help it...
+

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: