The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Cricket in stockholm?

Benzed
post 30.May.2006, 10:45 AM
Post #16

David, cheers for that heads up. Should have thought to ask some of the Paddingtons guys actually. Merivale-Papanui in Christchurch and Dulwich CC in SOuth London are the last clubs to be graced with my gazelle like poise at the crease. (read as : backing away to leg and carving the ball fearfully over gully)

Do they play on artificial wickets?
Go to the top of the page
+
Sir Wobbly Camel
post 30.May.2006, 10:56 AM
Post #17

Benzed: When I played for Stockholm CC, it was on rotten green carpet laid over a dodgey concrete slab. The outfield contained more yellow flowering weeds than a cow paddock back home - but it was fun.
+
Benzed
post 30.May.2006, 10:59 AM
Post #18

Regardless of the conditions and romance of the outfield, I`m sure my notoriously savage temper will still surface if someone grasses an easy chance at first slip laugh.gif

I hope no Pakistanis play over here, the last two I encountered in London were more frightening than any opponent I`ve ever seen ...
+
Sir Wobbly Camel
post 30.May.2006, 11:22 AM
Post #19

Sorry Benzed, but indeed they do - and have 2 teams in Sthlm - one of them was decked out in the one day kit when we played them a few years back and I've never seen worse shared umpiring decisions in all of my years in cricket... there was almost biff at one point during a drinks break, which added to the days excitement.

The better team did prevail on the day, due to a typical Pakistani collapse which was poetic justice...
+
Benzed
post 30.May.2006, 11:47 AM
Post #20

That`s exactly it. When I filled in for a lowly Dulwich CC side, I came in at number 8 with the side on the ropes and carved a number of flamboyant boundaries off a startlingly quick Paki, all giving myself room outside leg and showing the full set of pins. His rage escalated after each successful flail, and we had three intense toe to toe exchanges, his language was truly impressive. My comebacks were vintage, at the end of the game there were no handshakes but a lot of laughter from myself. We won by 7 runs.

A less composed West Ham fan in our team said "if you don`t shut your farking face you Paki carnt, this bat will be your new farking dentist and my boots will be your bedsheets" or something ... it was bloody funny but not very "social grade" all in all.

I can`t imagine getting a send off from a Swedish seamer !

laugh.gif
+
*Mahmood*
post 30.May.2006, 11:55 AM
Post #21

QUOTE (The Flying Camel)
Sorry Benzed, but indeed they do - and have 2 teams in Sthlm - one of them was decked out in the one day kit when we played them a few years back and I've never seen worse shared umpiring decisions in all of my years in cricket... there was almost biff at one point during a drinks break, which added to the days excitement.

The better team did prevail on the day, due to a typical Pakistani collapse which was poetic justice...

:sigh" This is the only answer you can come up with for unmatched natural talent of Pakistanis. Guys, we have cricket running in our blood. Now, I can understand that the enormous talent pakistanis have for cricket can make few people jealous. But, comon' this umpire thing is too old. Make a new excuse :twisted:
+
*Mahmood*
post 30.May.2006, 11:58 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (Benzed)
... We won by 7 runs. laugh.gif

You forgot to tell that the highest scorer and wicket taker was pakistani from your side :twisted: Oh yeah, that great run out too.
+
*Mahmood*
post 30.May.2006, 12:03 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (John Freeman)
As for women - why not - a few I knew were far better than some of the men I knew that thought they were good!

Agree to that one...My sister has a natural outswing. I taught her few grips and seam position I picked from Wasim. Seriously...She does play good cricket...and quite a competitive fan. She had fever for 2 days when pakistanis lost WC 99 final laugh.gif . But we will have our revenge. :wink: BTW, I watched 92 and 99 semifinals few days back. What as a$$ whopping we gave to black caps on both occassion. :twisted:
+
Sir Wobbly Camel
post 30.May.2006, 12:17 PM
Post #24

Mahmood, you are right indeed. Pakistani's do in fact have great natural talent that flows through their veins... I've never seen worse decisions given in friendly cricket by any other nationality -- and I've played a shed load of cricket and witnessesd some extremely ordinary pieces of both one-sided umpiring and slippery fingered score cards in my life.

Wasi A-crim?
:twisted:
+
Benzed
post 30.May.2006, 12:25 PM
Post #25

Mahmood, be silent. That `92 world cup semi is the stuff of nightmares. Still remember my high school team and I listening to it on teh radio as we chased Burnside high school`s 200-odd to win. The batsmen were rather disinterested in padding up and more interested in listening to the Pakistani run chase. It was in the bag, until that fat sack of spuds Inzamam performed his heroics. Miandad kissing the ground ... I`ll never get that image out of my head. :cry:

As for social cricket, you guys have no idea ... I thought Aussies were eternally bloody competitive! Cheating umpires, hell yes. A friend of mine was playing for a pub team in London, he scored a hundred against a vicious Paki attack and actually had a punch thrown at him as he celebrated his ton!! Hahaha, what a nation.

PS Girls can`t catch.
+
Benzed
post 30.May.2006, 12:28 PM
Post #26

Haha Wasi-a-crim!

Jar vegemite for Miandad
Hafeez Handmissing
+
*Mahmood*
post 30.May.2006, 12:36 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (The Flying Camel)
Mahmood, you are right indeed. Pakistani's do in fact have great natural talent that flows through their veins... I've never seen worse decisions given in friendly cricket by any other nationality

Well, actually it was all the anger against the gutter umpiring Shepered and Daryll Hair do in international cricket. What a plum lbw D. Hair ate away for KP in last test. Makes me shame to be a cricket fan to see such one sided umpiring. I don't want to get into what happened last winter in Pakistan. Also, all the fake claims made against my players. Remember how english called wasim and waqar cheaters after they got thier foot right up there in arses with there toe crushers. Now same english call reverse swing an art. Also, even my pathetic Salim Malik gave nightmares to Shane warne and Malik could have ended warnes carrier then and there if Shane would have had the balls to do the talking on ground rather than in press. BTW, these local umpiries you are talking about may have made "human errors" but they I can tell you that didn't danced on field like Billy Bowden :twisted:

QUOTE (The Flying Camel)
-- and I've played a shed load of cricket and witnessesd some extremely ordinary pieces of both one-sided umpiring and slippery fingered score cards in my life.

Yeah, we miss catches because it may cause our bowlers to lose the ability to crush the toes plum in front of wickets or simply uproot the stumps all together. We do it to keep them on their best. Its part of our game plan :twisted:

QUOTE (The Flying Camel)
Wasi A-crim?
:twisted:

Yeah, please complete it,,,, Wasi a-crème de la crème :twisted:
+
*Kt*
post 30.May.2006, 12:37 PM
Post #28

John Freeman wrote:

As for women - why not - a few I knew were far better than some of the men I knew that thought they were good!

It was a whind up Women are always welcome

To Watch or Play?
+
Sir Wobbly Camel
post 30.May.2006, 12:44 PM
Post #29

Ah, the true Paki is coming out in you Mahmood! 8)

I doubt any of your clan could have stopped Warne's masterful career. The great R. Benaud has commented that he should keep playing until he is 40 - much to my pleasure, as I heard rumours close to home saying that he would retire after we roll the Poms shortly.
+
*Mahmood*
post 30.May.2006, 12:46 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (Benzed)
Mahmood, be silent. That `92 world cup semi is the stuff of nightmares. Still remember my high school team and I listening to it on teh radio as we chased Burnside high school`s 200-odd to win. The batsmen were rather disinterested in padding up and more interested in listening to the Pakistani run chase. It was in the bag, until that fat sack of spuds Inzamam performed his heroics. Miandad kissing the ground ... I`ll never get that image out of my head. :cry:

laugh.gif
Well, Gratebatch and Crowe gave us a few scares that day. But what a slow off-spin came from Aqib Javed to get Gratebatch. Crowe was brilliant that day as usuall. But one the best matches if we forget who won :wink:

QUOTE (Benzed)
As for social cricket, you guys have no idea ... I thought Aussies were eternally bloody competitive!

Can't argue that.

QUOTE (Benzed)
Cheating umpires, hell yes. A friend of mine was playing for a pub team in London, he scored a hundred against a vicious Paki attack and actually had a punch thrown at him as he celebrated his ton!! Hahaha, what a nation.

I think you are talking about the red leather Punch that nipped from the pitch at 150Ks and landed bang on the wiser :twisted:

QUOTE (Benzed)
PS Girls can`t catch.

Well, In pakistan, boys too. laugh.gif
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: