The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Australian DJs un-funny prank

With very sad outcome

Gamla Hälsingebock
post 7.Dec.2012, 07:51 PM
Post #1

Comments?

Adding words to suit the Local now!

What the hell is the reason for asking for more words in a post?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22...ed-suicide.html
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 7.Dec.2012, 09:23 PM
Post #2

It seems that this station has a history of such pranks.
What's the odds that it is owned by Murdoch
+
wondering
post 7.Dec.2012, 09:52 PM
Post #3

Having heard the initial part of the call.. I don't see why she had to commit suicide ?

I feel very sorry for the nurse . The call went out at 5 am and I am sure she was just a tired nurse.

Quite a close few people in my family are doctors and I know what hard work they put in for their patients.

Once again deeply sorry to hear this
+
Flutterbye
post 7.Dec.2012, 10:55 PM
Post #4

I listened to this "prank" and TBH decided if this was an example of so called Australian entertainment they can keep it.
Unfortunately this joke has gone badly wrong.
Humour these days seems to consist of non stop use of swear words and taking the mickey out of someone who can't answer back.
Take for example that disgusting "joke" Frankie Boyle told about Katie Price's disabled son, one good thing that came out of Boyle's joke was he is now rarely seen on British TV.
Attached Image
+
Svensksmith
post 8.Dec.2012, 12:17 AM
Post #5

Actually, it was typical DJ fare. I really did not find it to be all that amusing nor all that offensive, either. Unfortunately, it turned out horribly. I'm really at a loss for why the nurse felt the need to kill herself. I suspect that there may be more to this story.
+
chazza
post 8.Dec.2012, 12:29 AM
Post #6

This is the saddest thing I've read all year.
Maybe the hospital disciplined her, shamed her, who knows what her cultural background is that she felt huge guilt embarassment and shame ?
The poor woman is trained to care for people - not screen calls from pranksters. Tragic beyond words.
+
Hamsterdam
post 8.Dec.2012, 12:31 AM
Post #7

Indeed Smith. Just a tragedy really. No need to go on the favourite British press past time of witch hunt and vilification.
+
Garry Jones
post 8.Dec.2012, 04:32 AM
Post #8

This so reminds me what I hate about England. All these idiots on TV tonight preaching from the moral high-ground.

The sentiment is that we are better than the rest. No we (you?) are not!

It was an hilarious prank call.

The transcript has not been released in the UK. Here it is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MjPPMLlZqo

Note there are now hundres of new links to it but they are all edited. Most people think the nurse heard speaking on them is the one who has committed suicide. It isn't. The one who is dead is the one who answers the phone and puts the call through. This is the only youtube link with her few seconds which are edited out on the other links.

What has peeved me is it has been quite simply stated that we in England would never do this. So many people just saying "never in the UK". People writing on blogs and calling for manslaugher charges. Steady on!

The idea of the prank as been an integral part of UK TV and radio entertainment for years. Making people look stupid is part of the core of UK entertainment. Music halls used to do it to unsuspecting members of the audience. Candid Camera since 1959. Noel Edmonds with his prank calls on the radio breakfast show and later on Gotcha" to celebrities. "Game for a laugh - tv show". "Beadles about". Set-ups and pranks on people from all warps of life. We have laughed and laughed and applauded these for years. The list goes on.

On a par with the Australian prank:

James Corden during the World Cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLhxcZZEaoY

During the 2010 World Cup James Corden calls the hotel where the American football team are staying. Unable to speak to the manager he speaks to the hotel receptionist and tells her he is Sepp Blatter. He says "pass on a message, tonight's game against England is postponed".

This was regarded as a classic.

As unlikely as it was think IF. If the hotel had passed on the message: 2 billion people around the globe glued to their screens in homes, clubs, bars and city centres all waiting for the game. The American team don't turn up. They can't be reached. England are sent home. The fans are sent home. A FIFA inquiry. England dumped out of the World Cup? - Think of the public outcry against James Corden and the English TV. What then if the hotel receptionist who took the call committed suicide?

These calls are funny. The Australians are spot on with their humour. I find it a great prank and one worthy of praise.

There was a public outcry in the UK. Instead of laughing it off and saying "well done" people wanted someone to be punished. It is the English prudent society I am so glad I left behind that created the climate for the suicide.

So people in the UK - When calling for the kettle to be fried remember you live in a pot. One of these was always going to bikefire, it's just pure chance that it happened to be an Australian one.

Deepest sympathies to the nurse who committed suicide and her family: Looking for someone to blame - The UK Media and its prudent supporters because of their over reaction to this funny prank call.
+
Taxalien
post 8.Dec.2012, 11:19 AM
Post #9

Whenever the radio people start broadcasting that bullshit I usually switch off. If I am even listening at all to Swedish radio.

It used to be fun when it was novel, but these days I just find these prank calls offensive, retarded and insulting, not just to the receiver of the caller but everyone listening.

It's just degrading for everyone.

This goes exceptionally for this case. By all appearances this was a very competent nurse who worked hard to do a good job and after having been subjected to this call she probably felt abused and that she had let down her professional standard of conduct by assuming that the caller was someone who was related to a patient and thus disclosed information that was private in nature to an outsider.

I also read that the radio station felt that they had not broken the law.

I find that puzzling, since I thought most jurisdictions had laws banning people from trying to pretend to be someone else while attempting to extract information about people that is private, such as medicial conditions or medical facts.

But as we have seen elswhere, there is very little that is held to be of private nature when it comes to the Murdoch media empire.

It would be nice if Australians found it a good time to deal Murdoch a blow in Australia as well.
+
The Nine
post 8.Dec.2012, 01:06 PM
Post #10

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Of course, the fact that some poor woman is dead, is tragic, but let's put it in to context. This woman played a minor part in a harmless prank. She wasn't duped into blowing up a building full of kids or letting a maniac with a machette into a school. If she honestly felt her part in this was so great she ended her life, she clearly had mental health issues above and beyond this prank.

Secondly, why is everyone having a go at the DJ's? Lets just rewind for a second. Candid Camera, Jeremy Beadle, Noel Edmunds, Phonejacker, Dom Jolly, Punk'd. All popular TV shows that are based around winding people up and conning them into thinking a situation is something other than it is.

Has anyone heard the phone call? The biggest joke is that anyone fell for it. The DJ's are in hysterics that their terrible posh English accents manage to fool anyone. At the end of the day, it was a harmless prank call and in no way malicious. Anyone who remembers Jeremy Beadle's wind ups will surely remember people in tears and thinking they were being arrested or their house had burned down. And Oh how everyone would laugh when Beadle popped out of a nearby bush wearing a false beard.

At worst, this poor woman might have had the right to feel a bit silly for a couple of days, but killing herself is a slight over reaction, don't you think.
+
Snoopy!
post 8.Dec.2012, 01:11 PM
Post #11

Jesus talk about a media beat up, & Gary has hit the nail on the head.
The Brits have been pulling this kind of stuff for years & how exactly was this prank offensive, & degrading ?...get off it if! albeit mildly amusing.

What a dull society were becoming if people start playing the blame game for something that obviously has a lot more to it that would make the nurse want to commit suicide.
+
Garry Jones
post 8.Dec.2012, 02:26 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Taxalien @ 8.Dec.2012, 11:19 AM) *
By all appearances this was a very competent nurse who worked hard to do a good job and after having been subjected to this call she probably felt abused and that she had let ... (show full quote)

WRONG NURSE!

You really would do well to read previous posts before posting to forums.

As I stated - I linked to the clip - it is NOT the nurse who disclosed information that committed suicide, it is the other one heard at the begining of the call. She speaks for a few seconds and puts the call through.

The "damage" of misinformation is now out there and all too many people believe as you. This is quite likely because 99.9% of the versions of this call on the net are incomplete and only contain the highlights of the call. You have to click on my link to hear the entire prank call.

I still think the call is in keeping with UK media standards and I feel really sorry for the radio DJ's.
+
Hisingen
post 8.Dec.2012, 02:48 PM
Post #13

Both the nurses were subjected to considerable ridicule as a result of having been duped, and this could well be the factor that drove one of them over the edge. I feel very sorry for the families concerned. The nurses didn't deserve to be treated in this way.
But of course the DJ's feel that it was very funny, and no doubt have no feelings of conscience about the whole thing. To me it would not have mattered if they were from the UK or anywhere, it was simply bad taste, very bad taste, and reminiscent of a similar so-called prank by those two twits, 'Wossie' and Brand - - - "Qué?"

Perpetrators of such idiocy only see themselves as the heroes, and don't give a monkey's for their victims.
And the public falls for it pretty well every time, witness this forum.
+
gplusa
post 8.Dec.2012, 05:06 PM
Post #14

Harmless prank, my arse. Those 2 dickheads deliberately chose to impersonate someone else in order to receive information that they knew they were not entitled to receive. They knew that from the start. Whether or not they expected their plan to suceed is irrelevant, the fact is that they attempted to succeed. Once they knew that they had breached security protocols and were receiving private information based solely on their own deception, they could have chosen to end the scheme. In fact, they could have chosen at any time to end it. They deliberately chose not to. Did they know that a person would die as a result of their actions ? Of course not. Did they know that there would most likely be negative consequences for people as a result of their actions ? Absolutely. Any reasonable adult would have foreseen a negative reaction. Yet, they chose to continue in full knowledge that they were causing future harm to another person. They could have sought to prevent that harm at any time, and did not. From what I understand, the legal experts are now looking at something called the Eggshell Skull Rule, where a person can be held liable for an unforeseen event if that person is found to be responsible for setting the process in motion which led to the final event. Harmless prank, my arse.
+
Hisingen
post 8.Dec.2012, 05:22 PM
Post #15

Well said gplusa. It completely adds to my comments about the stupidity of those DJ's - damn their hides.
+

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: