The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Import tax for eBay items from the US to Sweden?

Nothingness
post 29.Sep.2008, 01:23 PM
Post #1

Hi everyone!

I'm going to buy a camera on eBay. It costs around 300$. I'm wondering if I need to pay import tax. I heard that import tax is not applied for items under 500$. But I'm not so sure about this information.
Could you please tell me if I need to pay import tax or not? If yes, then how many percentage of tax do I have to pay?

Another mirror question :-) How about buying items in the UK?

Thanks for your help!

ps: I tried to call tax office; but it's after talking with reception in English, then automatic phone, but it speaks Swedish; so I couldn't ask them for this info, because I can't speak Swedish!
Go to the top of the page
+
Bishop Conkers
post 29.Sep.2008, 01:38 PM
Post #2

I am pretty sure you pay import tax and moms on everything over 30 usd...

So either be prepared to pay import tax (7%?) plus sales tax 25%, and this is not necessarily based on what YOU paid for it, but what it is WORTH in sweden.
They will also charge you import tax and sales tax on the shipping costs.

If possible get the seller to mail it to you with a receipt of a lesser value, or completely without a receipt... and get them to write something vague on the customs ticket... for example "film" instead of "camera" . As soon as they write camera on it... Good Luck!

I got stung pretty hard this summer, ordered a set of handlebars for a motorbike. 25 USD with free shipping.
The order got delayed and after a couple of months they were available again, the seller felt bad about the delays and sent them express delivery... 75 USD in shipping charges, that HE paid for... not me.
I got hit for import duties and sales tax based on the purchase price 25 USD PLUS the 75 USD shipping charges.

Barstewards!

Bish <----- but still a bargain!
+
Puffin
post 29.Sep.2008, 01:50 PM
Post #3

If you can it is better to buy items within the EU
+
Nothingness
post 29.Sep.2008, 02:48 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Bishop Conkers)
I am pretty sure you pay import tax and moms on everything over 30 usd...

So either be prepared to pay import tax (7%?) plus sales tax 25%, and this is not necessarily based on what YOU paid for it, but what it is WORTH in sweden.
They will also charge you import tax and sales tax on the shipping costs.

If possible get the seller to mail it to you with a receipt of a lesser value, or completely without a receipt... and get them to write something vague on the customs ticket... for example "film" instead of "camera" . As soon as they write camera on it... Good Luck!

I got stung pretty hard this summer, ordered a set of handlebars for a motorbike. 25 USD with free shipping.
The order got delayed and after a couple of months they were available again, the seller felt bad about the delays and sent them express delivery... 75 USD in shipping charges, that HE paid for... not me.
I got hit for import duties and sales tax based on the purchase price 25 USD PLUS the 75 USD shipping charges.

Barstewards!

Bish <----- but still a bargain!

Thanks Bishop Conkers! It seems that the total price gets much higher than buying within Sweden.

Puffin! Do you mean that I don't need to pay import tax and VAT if I buy electronics device within EU and ship to Sweden?

I'm going to buy a camera on UK eBay instead of US one due to high tax applied for items from outside EU!
+
post 29.Sep.2008, 03:19 PM
Post #5

I used to buy from ebay UK and never had any tax etc. But my items worth few hundreds SEK. I would say buy from UK and also buy postal insurance (may be 2 £), i always had insurance less than 3 £.
+
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 29.Sep.2008, 03:33 PM
Post #6

The hardest thing about buying something from another country, is what do you do if the item breaks down? Will the warranty be covered in your country? If you buy something from a store, you can always return to that store, but online is a bit tricky with packaging and returns, etc. Not so much from the big giants like Amazon, but more from eBay private sellers, etc.

Still, if you find a good deal, take it!
+
Nothingness
post 29.Sep.2008, 03:45 PM
Post #7

Yes, you're right Senzenina! I need to think more about the worse case that the camera could be broken. It's costly to send it to other country to be prepared.

It seems that there are so many barriers making me to come back buying in Sweden!!! I mean saving few amount of money is not always a good idea!

Anyway, thanks for your helps!
+
*Ghost In The Machine*
post 29.Sep.2008, 03:46 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Nothingness)
Do you mean that I don't need to pay import tax and VAT if I buy electronics device within EU and ship to Sweden?

No, you will (generally) pay the VAT in the country you bought it in, and no import tax, as there is no 'import' taking place.

(Some e-Retailers will however charge you the 'VAT' that you should pay in the country you are resident in, so MOMs in this case.)
+
Mib
post 29.Sep.2008, 03:57 PM
Post #9

All goods bought within the EU are free from additional taxes including import tax. The only thing you may see is if you buy from some companies like Amazon...they follow the EU rule to apply VAT at the rate applied in the country where it is delivered. Most companies only add the local rate of VAT in the country they are based.

Try the following to find decent prices

www.prisjakt.se - Can be configured to look at Sweden only or all of EU
www.froogle.co.uk - Google's price comparison
www.pricerunner.co.uk
www.kelkoo.co.uk
www.play.com
www.cdwow.com
www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk
www.laptopsdirect.co.uk
www.amazon.co.uk - I use mainly to see reviews on products
www.ebay.co.uk - have a lot of pro retailers selling. But, I would rather order elsewhere when buying a high value item as the PayPal protection etc is not good enough for me. I'd rather pay a bit more for peace of mind.

Unfortunately, most companies won't send eletronics outside their home country, but some do ie laptopsdirect.co.uk
+
Themasterpiece
post 29.Sep.2008, 04:03 PM
Post #10

be careful when buying it on UK ebay whether the item is in the UK, or actually it will be imported from hong kong or somwhere else, and could be stopped at customs for import duty.

the best thing is wait until you or a friend go to the US next, buy it there, throw away the boxes and bring it back with you as if you had it already. B&H photo in NYC is highly recommended. Use it to check the price against too.
+
Nothingness
post 29.Sep.2008, 04:31 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Ghost In The Machine)
No, you will (generally) pay the VAT in the country you bought it in, and no import tax, as there is no 'import' taking place.

(Some e-Retailers will however charge you the 'VAT' that you should pay in the country you are resident in, so MOMs in this case.)

Hi again! Does those tax apply to personal item like a gift, for example? (I mean there is no bill attached in). Because it's likely that I paid tax when I buy it in other country.
+
*Ghost In The Machine*
post 29.Sep.2008, 06:41 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Nothingness)
Hi again! Does those tax apply to personal item like a gift, for example? (I mean there is no bill attached in). Because it's likely that I paid tax when I buy it in other country.

gifts are *usually* exempt.

i say usually, as sometimes it's painfully obvious that someone is taking the pi55. SO you get charged as per normal (but only if it comes from outside europe!)
+
*Ghost In The Machine*
post 29.Sep.2008, 06:43 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Mib)
All goods bought within the EU are free from additional taxes including import tax. The only thing you may see is if you buy from some companies like Amazon...they follow the EU rule to apply VAT at the rate applied in the country where it is delivered. Most companies only add the local rate of VAT in the country they are based.

seen a bit of variation in this, some tax at local (home) rate, some tax at delivery address and some tax at invoice address!
+
Furu
post 29.Sep.2008, 10:45 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Nothingness)
Hi everyone!

I'm going to buy a camera on eBay. It costs around 300$. I'm wondering if I need to pay import tax. I heard that import tax is not applied for items under 500$. But I'm not so sure about this information.
Could you please tell me if I need to pay import tax or not? If yes, then how many percentage of tax do I have to pay?

Another mirror question :-) How about buying items in the UK?

Thanks for your help!

ps: I tried to call tax office; but it's after talking with reception in English, then automatic phone, but it speaks Swedish; so I couldn't ask them for this info, because I can't speak Swedish!

Email Tulliverket and they will give you an exact amount they will charge. Remember tax is not charged from where item is shipped from it is charged where the item was made. So if you are buying a camera from US but it was made in Malaysia then tax is charged on the Agreement with Malaysia.

Good Luck
+
Nothingness
post 30.Sep.2008, 07:35 AM
Post #15

I have found this link about import tax on Sound Recordings (electronic device also) for 2007. If taxes haven't changed, then import and sales taxes for Sweden is 25% + 4% = 29%.

http://www.ifpi.org/content/library/taxes-...-recordings.pdf

Another link on taxes applied on gifts imported to Sweden from outside EU:
http://www.amerikanska.com/modules.php?nam...icle&sid=16

* a one-time shipment for your or your family's personal use
* the stated value of the shipment may not exceed SEK 500, and
* the total fees for the entire package must be under SEK 100
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: