The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Costs of car insurance

Tips on how much to expect to pay

Bisonex
post 10.Jun.2009, 08:43 PM
Post #1

I'm moving to Sweden in August and bringing my Volvo S60 with me. It's a right-hand drive, so I plan to buy a brand new car in Sweden after a month or two, and take the Volvo back to the UK and ask my in-laws to flog it for me. Some people have told me that car tax and insurance in Sweden is very expensive - can anyone give me a clue how expensive? I presently pay about £350 for the wife, fully comprehensive with max no claims etc, and £210 a year road tax.

I'll have to keep my existing UK insurance in place until I get the dreaded 'personnummer' and can use a Swedish insurer.

Thanks

Bisonex
Go to the top of the page
+
Essingen
post 11.Jun.2009, 07:16 AM
Post #2

I wouldn't say that car insurance is that expensive here in Sweden. However, you will need to convince a company to give you some bonus to reflect the fact that you currently have full no claims bonus in the UK. Car tax is around the same. One thing that you need to make certain of is that you are never without car insurance once the car is registered here in Sweden. If you are then you will get a bill from some state authority who automatically insures it for you. The cost will be high. If we are only talking about a couple of months for the car in Sweden can't you make an arrangement with your UK insurer?
+
DaveN
post 11.Jun.2009, 08:34 AM
Post #3

You can't insure a uk registered car here, with or without a number. Cars are pricy here, so cheapest is to re-register what you have and then insure it here. Don't suppose it will cost any more than in the uk, and they assume no a clean claims record until you prove otherwise.
+
Bo-jangles
post 11.Jun.2009, 02:19 PM
Post #4

Everything is pretty expensive in this country when it comes to cars. I just renewed my car insurance this week and it cost about 5800kr for 1 year comprehensive insurance icluding a driver under 25 and a driver with Australian license. If i had a an accident, i would still have to pay 5000kr excess.

Car tax is about 1500kr a year, depending on the car and where u live i think.
+
Nicklouse
post 11.Jun.2009, 02:40 PM
Post #5

the system here is very different to the UK.
Road tax is done on vehicle type/weight/number of seats/fuel.
Insurance is done on the car not the person. By not having drivers under 25 is good, as is being from the UK.

info can be found on VV's web site of the road tax of some vehicles via their reg number. But a Diesel's road tax is about 4 times that of the same Petrol car.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 11.Jun.2009, 03:50 PM
Post #6

The price on car insurance varies a lot depending on where you live, who owns the car, and what car it is. Anything between 3000-10000SEK/year for full coverage.

Also, the premium is often set based on cars of the same model in your region, so if you have an unusual car and one of the other three cars of the same model in your town has an accident it will be expensive...
+
Alohart
post 11.Jun.2009, 10:25 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 11.Jun.2009, 03:50 PM) *
Also, the premium is often set based on cars of the same model in your region, so if you have an unusual car and one of the other three cars of the same model in your town has ... (show full quote)

Hmm, what if one has the only car of its type in all of Sweden? That will very well be my situation when my Honda Insight hybrid arrives in Stockholm in August. This model Honda was never sold in Sweden. It was sold in the U.K., so parts are available according to the Uppsala Honda dealer.

I tried to get an insurance estimate on various Swedish insurers' Websites, but they all seem to require the Swedish registration number which, of course, doesn't exist yet. Can you recommend an insurance company for those with unusual cars?
+
Nicklouse
post 12.Jun.2009, 08:56 AM
Post #8

It is a bit like the Swedish personal number, No swedish number and you/it does not exist.
Untill you get the car registered make sure you have your insureance from home sorted for EU use ie the green card.
Once you have the car registered you could be OK.

In the meantime it sounds like time to use the phone.
+
Bisonex
post 12.Jun.2009, 09:32 AM
Post #9

Thanks for all the replies.

My UK insurance is sorted to provide comprehensive cover for me to use my car in Sweden and Denmark for up to 180 days. Once I get to Sweden, I'll get a personal number, then register the car and insure it there (and cancel my UK insurance).

I am contemplating buying a new car before I come to Sweden because 1. I want a 4x4 and 2. they are cheaper in the UK than in Sweden. Does anyone know if I would have to pay any Swedish car import tax to register my car in Sweden?

If so, on a car costing about about 30,000 UK pounds, what sort of tax would tghey be wanting me to pay?

Thanks

Bisonex
+
Beren
post 12.Jun.2009, 11:21 AM
Post #10

I'd be wary about a UK car here. First, you need to change the front lights - and for my SAAB that meant complete units! Then I needed a new speedo. I had been told that mine having both MPH and KMH would be acceptable, but it wasn't! Then you'll need 4x4 winter tyres.

And to sell it, you would need to travel back to Blighty. I never, and basically ended up almost giving the SAAB away. No-one wants a 'righty' here...

The insurance on a right hand drive vehicle may be more, with the increased risk in overtaking maneuvres.

I bought a Hyundai 4x4 here, 2005, and pay less than 6000:- insurance a year.

Hope some of this helps.
+
Nicklouse
post 12.Jun.2009, 11:37 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Bisonex @ 12.Jun.2009, 10:32 AM) *
Thanks for all the replies.My UK insurance is sorted to provide comprehensive cover for me to use my car in Sweden and Denmark for up to 180 days. Once I get to Sweden, I' ... (show full quote)

If you are going to that get as an Left hooker it will save you a lot of grief. Also have a look at the road tax costs. a big heavy multi seated 4X4 will be heavy on the Road tax especially if it is a diesel.

just for giggles my old VW T4 ´92 year, 7 seat 2,4D. what would you have thought the road tax would have been 4 years ago?

Over £700 a year. I dont want to know what it would be now. I converted it to a Truck with only 2 seats and pay £330 a year in road tax.

Dont rush into buying before getting all the costs.
+
hopeam
post 30.Nov.2009, 10:26 AM
Post #12

A friend who lives in Sweden told me that he was quite surprised about the car insurance costs there. It seems like car insurance in Central European countries is relatively expensive but probably the service they provide is good. I would really like to know how car insurance after a country change can be kept cheap. Usually you have to get a lot of papers and there's some bureuacracy involved. Probably it's the best thing to get a new car and new insurance in the country because taking the old car and insurance with you can get very expensive.
+
superturbo
post 30.Nov.2009, 10:43 PM
Post #13

The price of a car insurance can vary quite a lot depending on what insurance company you sign up with and the size of the car and its' engine it has (the faster the car is, the more expensive it will get).

Normally, there are three types of insurance, trafik-, halv- and helförsäkring (traffic, semi, and complete insurance).

Trafik only covers the cost of the other car if you should be responsible for crashing into it.
Halv covers the above plus theft, paint damages and some other stuff
Hel covers all of the above and also includes insurance in case of a fire.

There are probably more to it, but when it comes to the cost I can say that the cheapest insurance I've found for my car, which is a Honda Accord 2.0, costs me about 7000kr/year (if I remember correctly). And it's a helförsäkring (covers everything).
+
summer
post 25.Mar.2010, 08:28 PM
Post #14

l think this BLOG POST will help you get cheapest car insurance in Sweden
+
Furu
post 25.Mar.2010, 08:45 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Bo-jangles @ 11.Jun.2009, 02:19 PM) *
I just renewed my car insurance this week and it cost about 5800kr for 1 year comprehensive insurance icluding a driver under 25 and a driver with Australian license. If i had ... (show full quote)

That is too much. Which car is it.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: