The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Swedish grammar question

den veckan/ i veckan (i) förra veckan

chocolatecake2
post 3.Apr.2017, 10:30 AM
Post #1

Hey!

What is the difference between i veckan or den här veckan. Like for instance, if you'd want to say: ''I'm going to work late every day this week'' would you say den här veckan or i veckan?

Also, when talking about last week: förra veckan, would you use ''i'' or not? for example: I was there last week = jag var där i förra veckan or without the i?
Go to the top of the page
+
yet another brit
post 5.Apr.2017, 02:32 PM
Post #2

"I veckan" trivially means "during the week" - but which week...?

Qualified, it can refer to a specific week, such as "i veckan som gick" (last week), "i veckan förre midsommar" (the week before midsummer) etc.

The qualification is also driven by the tense of the verb - so "hänt i veckan" means "what happened last week" [...and is the name of the local version of "Hello" magazine, as you probably know if you've been to a dentist or hairdresser...], but "händer i veckan" means "what will be happening this week".

So there is usually some form of qualification or context to tell you which week is implied.

Whereas "den här vecka" only means specifically this, the current, week.

Also, when talking about last week: förra veckan, would you use ''i'' or not? for example: I was there last week = jag var där i förra veckan or without the i?

Depends if you want to contextualise with a concept akin to "during"; "jag var där förra veckan" suggests you went there once, or for some specific thing, "jag var där i förra veckan" suggests you were there during the week in a more unspecified way.
Go to the top of the page
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: