4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Moving from the U.S. to Sweden --- with firearms..

Confused about the rules for importing firearms

rfmann
post 23.Aug.2010, 09:42 PM
Post #1

Hi there,

I am wondering if someone here might be able to share some insight on the following situation: I am an EU citizen and currently a permanent resident in the U.S., but planning to move to Sweden. I own a number of firearms (shotguns, a rimfire rifle, and handguns in 9mm, 22lr, and 44mag), and was wondering whether and how I can take them with me.

The information I have is somewhat confusing. It seems that in order to *buy* firearms in Sweden, one needs to either hunt or actively participate in a club etc., but it is not clear to me what the regulations are for *importing* firearms as part of one's household goods. I have seen the page listing the permits issued by the police (http://www.polisen.se/en/English/Service/Permits-and-licences/), and also the form for an import license (http://www.polisen.se/en/English/Service/Forms/Hallare/Application-for-permission-to-import/), which seems to be primarily geared toward tourists traveling to Sweden.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd also be interested in links to applicable firearms laws --- I could probably try to decipher them with the help of Google translate, but I find searching for Swedish terms somewhat of a challenge.

Thanks in advance,

Richard
Go to the top of the page
+
post 23.Aug.2010, 09:54 PM
Post #2

here's a thread that could offer some more information. the poster mentions a gun club. i was going to recommend that you contact one and ask them. i would guess they'd have the most comprehensive understanding of the practical applications of the "rules."
+
Roger O. Thornhill
post 24.Aug.2010, 03:38 AM
Post #3

If I recall correctly, there are several threads re. firearms and they would include a discussion of your question.

Attached Image
+
Rick Methven
post 24.Aug.2010, 06:57 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (rfmann @ 23.Aug.2010, 10:42 PM) *
Hi there,I am wondering if someone here might be able to share some insight on the following situation: I am an EU citizen and currently a permanent resident in the U.S., but ... (show full quote)

Residents of EU countries are allowed to import firearms, that they hold valid licences for in their country of residence, into another EU country for the purpose of organised hunting or recognised target shooting competition. The permit is issued for a specific time period only and such firearms must be declared to customs upon entry and exit from the country.

That was the form you found. written both in English and German as there are a lot of Germans who come to Sweden to hunt Moose.

To own a gun in Sweden you must FIRST obtain a licence before you can own or buy it. As a private citizen you can apply for a permit to import a firearm of the category that you hold a valid licence for.

So, in your case, as a non EU resident, (even if you have a passport from an EU country) would not be permitted to bring any firearm into the country as personal effects. You would have to first establish your residence in Sweden and then join a club. Once you have the licence to own a firearm, you can apply for a permit to import one.
+
gplusa
post 24.Aug.2010, 07:11 AM
Post #5

It's not that easy to obtain your firearms licence in Sweden. There's quite an extensive theory course to go through (in Swedish) before you can progress to any practical testing.
+
rfmann
post 24.Aug.2010, 09:53 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 24.Aug.2010, 05:57 AM) *
So, in your case, as a non EU resident, (even if you have a passport from an EU country) would not be permitted to bring any firearm into the country as personal effects. You ... (show full quote)

I was afraid that might be the case, but of course it makes sense to only be able to import a gun one can legally own.

I guess what threw me off was this page, which makes it sound as if the Arms License and the Importation Permit are two alternative ways to import a firearm "for permanent use" (and does not seem to distinguish between EU and non-EU imports). I suppose the permanent use bit is probably an error, and the situation is as you describe: Importation Permit for temporary use, Arms License for permanent ownership inside the country.

Thanks,

RFM
+
DaveN
post 24.Aug.2010, 11:59 AM
Post #7

Assuming you're not a firearms dealer, then the following applies:-

You can import weapons temporarily or permanently.

For temporarily, you will need a temporary licence from the police after they are provided with written evidence of an invitation to either a competition or to hunt. If hunting, then the purchase of a jaktkort is also required.

For permanent, you need a licence for guns used in competitions, or a licence to hold hunting weapons. Hunting weapons (on a hunting licence) can be used for competitions, but not vice-versa.

To get a competition licence requires membership of an appropriate club, and they will then sign the paperwork. For shotguns they usually like to see some involvement in the clubs' activities for a reasonable period of time. For pistols they require the same, plus some good results in club competitions, but only with a .22 to start (using the clubs guns). Once they are happy with this, probably after at least a year, then you do the same again with other calibres.

For hunting, you need to do the theory exam, then the shooting test with both shotguns and rifles. After this the police will issue a licence to hold up to six guns. But no automatics, and a limited magazine in auto shotguns. Virtually no pistols are used for hunting, except small calibre single shots for use 'under ground', ie. badgers and foxes in their burrows.

If you are very lucky, they may issue a temporary licence to simply hold the guns, but not to use, in the case of someone moving here permanently. However, this usually only happens with EU citizens, for a max of one gun, and for a maximum time of 1 year. Plus you will need the approved storage cabinet.

So in other words, you've virtually no chance of getting any pistols here, as the time frame to get a licence is huge. Of course, for any of these, you absolutely must have a PN number and a permanent address. You may be able to get a gun dealer in the US to send them to a gun dealer here that can then hold them until such time as a licence is forthcoming.
+
rfmann
post 24.Aug.2010, 06:28 PM
Post #8

Hi Dave,

Thanks, I think that clears things up. I guess that means I'll either store or sell them here, as all this club business isn't for me.

Thanks for your response,

RFM
+
rfmann
post 24.Aug.2010, 10:44 PM
Post #9

For future reference, in case someone else runs into the same question, I found the relevant legislation here. Once you know that you need to search for "vapenlag"... ;-) Thanks for the responses!

RFM
+
Rick Methven
post 25.Aug.2010, 05:26 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (rfmann @ 24.Aug.2010, 07:28 PM) *
Hi Dave,. Thanks, I think that clears things up. I guess that means I'll either store or sell them here, as all this club business isn't for me.. Thanks for your response,. RFM

If you do not want to join a gun club, where do you think you could use your arsenal?

In the majority of European countries, the only reason to legally own a firearm is either for target shooting in a secure environment or for sanctioned hunting.

Possessing a firearm for any other purpose, including so called 'self defence' is a criminal offence.
+
wabasha
post 25.Aug.2010, 07:03 AM
Post #11

who can give the Hunting theory and shooting test? are their clubs or private people that give classes?
+
rfmann
post 25.Aug.2010, 04:56 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 25.Aug.2010, 04:26 AM) *
If you do not want to join a gun club, where do you think you could use your arsenal?

I do not quite understand --- I use them all the time over here, but have never joined any club, nor do I intend to.

Besides that, I might not stay in Sweden forever, and quite possibly return to the U.S. In that case, I'd actually be happy to just keep the guns without necessarily being able to use them.

In the majority of European countries, the only reason to legally own a firearm is either for target shooting in a secure environment or for sanctioned hunting.

Possessing a firearm for any other purpose, including so called 'self defence' is a criminal offence.
Yes, I saw that this also applies to Sweden after I perused the "Vapenlag", but I did not know this before, so I asked.

RFM
+
Rick Methven
post 25.Aug.2010, 05:03 PM
Post #13

If the Swedish Police read that statement from you
I use them all the time over here
be prepared for a VERY tough time.

First question: Sir, you stated on a post on the Local that you use this arsenal of weapons that you own ALL THE TIME, are you a member of the armed forces in a battle situation or do you just like to go out on a shooting spree? cool.gif
+
rfmann
post 25.Aug.2010, 05:09 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 25.Aug.2010, 04:03 PM) *
If the Swedish Police read that statement from you be prepared for a VERY tough time.

Reading some of the comments here, it seems tough times are indeed ahead...

RFM
+
Rick Methven
post 25.Aug.2010, 05:15 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (rfmann @ 25.Aug.2010, 06:09 PM) *
Reading some of the comments here, it seems tough times are indeed ahead.... RFM

In your original post you said that you are an EU citizen. Did you own, carry use guns outside of hunting or target shooting in your country of origin?
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,803 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles