The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

Job discrimination based on heritage?

Hard time getting callbacks

wallace1837
post 15.Feb.2017, 10:07 AM
Post #31

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 27.Oct.2016, 08:34 AM) *
From OECD it exist everywhere ( https://data.oecd.org/migration/foreign-bor...nemployment.htm ). Lets see what is the magnitude in some countries.ratio = Unemployment foreign ... (show full quote)

Wow the OECD number had Sweden with a 2.65 in 2014, now with a different set of data (how comparable is this is up to interpretation), the same ratio is 5.13. More than 5 non Swedish born for every Swede on unemployment. They were good, and now they just get better at discrimination.
http://www.thelocal.se/20170213/this-map-s...loyed-in-sweden

Stay away from Sweden and be happy!
Go to the top of the page
+
Mib
post 15.Feb.2017, 02:01 PM
Post #32

Sweden is not a racist country. However, it is discriminatory due to several reasons when you compare with the UK and USA. In my experience and observations, Sweden hasn't had the large influx of immigrants for generations like the UK and US, so there is a greater suspicion and as a result, they play safe and stick with a native Swede in most cases. In the UK, people from India and Eastern Europe are viewed as educated and hard workers and sometimes are preferred over native English who are viewed sometimes as less hard working.

Certifications that you have obtained while abroad are not recognised in Sweden. There is a long winded system which is trying to set the equivalents to a Swedish certification, but as I understand it takes a very long time. Also, the statistics of unemployed immigrants in Sweden is also very high, because Sweden has been the most welcoming country in Europe for many years to accept refugees and many of those refugees are not educated to the same level as we are in Europe and that makes it more difficult. However, a lot Syrian refugees are highly educated like PHDs, Doctors etc, but then put them in North Sweden where there are very little opportunities!

English is spoken everywhere. The Swedes speak perfect English, but the older generation are not always at the same level as their younger counterparts and so feel uncomfortable with that. However, Swedes do speak Swedish and eventually you either learn the language or limit yourself, unless you get lucky. It's part of integrating into society, the social aspects etc. I heard from one indian guy several years ago that one of the large international Management Consultancy firms in Sweden decided not to employ non-Swedish speaking people anymore as they found that they didn't progress as well as the Swedish speakers. So, that was purely a business decision.

You could do an experiment and send in a CV with a different name to companies who either reject you or don't respond to see if that works. Then if you're invited, you could explain to them at the interview why you did that and then charm them into giving you the job smile.gif.

To make you feel better, I have a Swedish friend who applied for jobs directly for development jobs, coding etc and he said that the big companies rarely respond. He did find it better when he went through agencies as then you would get some feedback. Ironically, he got his job via an agency in London for work in Sweden, whereas he said that several years earlier, that would never have happened. It would have been a Swedish agency. So, maybe that is a route to try if you haven't done that already.

Sweden is like any other country. it does have racists and I'm sure that has played its part in a small way, but if I ran a business, I would employ a native unless you had some skill/experience that was hard to get. In fact, my employer told me that exact same thing! So, highlight your uniqueness, your hard to get skills etc and that may improve your situation. I would even over play some of your skills...not exactly lie, but just make them sound better to get your foot in the door. As an immigrant, we have to try harder than a native. An alternative is to search for the most common or niche skills in your job area and do some training either via your company or privately in your own time. If you're a member of a Union, you can get some of the costs repaid back.

Good luck!
+
delta76
post 15.Feb.2017, 02:10 PM
Post #33

Good points Mib.

I think it's the same anywhere. If you are not fluent in their language, or if you don't understand the culture, that would be a negative in your application. If two applicants are the same in all matters, skills, experience, gratitude, but one can speak fluent Swedish and English, and one with broken Swedish and not so fluent English, who would be called?
+
wallace1837
post 15.Feb.2017, 07:56 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (delta76 @ 15.Feb.2017, 02:10 PM) *
Good points Mib.I think it's the same anywhere. If you are not fluent in their language, or if you don't understand the culture, that would be a negative in your appli ... (show full quote)

USA and Canada have a roughly one to one ratio. Sweden is 5 to one. Saying "it's the same anywhere" is denying facts.
http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...st&p=900219
+
delta76
post 15.Feb.2017, 09:05 PM
Post #35

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 15.Feb.2017, 07:56 PM) *
USA and Canada have a roughly one to one ratio. Sweden is 5 to one. Saying "it's the same anywhere" is denying facts.. http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...st&p=900219

I'm really tired with you trying to bash Sweden every chance you have. This is the last time I reply to you.

You are comparing orange and apple. The link you posted has nothing to do with this thread.
The point of OP was he/she was denied a job because of his/her origin - assuming that he/she has comparable skills/experiences with other applicants. I pointed out that languages/culture is another hidden factor that he/she did not consider. If he/she is superior in skills/experiences than Sweden-born competitors, enough to fill the gap of languages/culture then there should be no problem finding a job.

If the foreign born people have no comparable skills/experience with Sweden born competitors, they basically stand no chance. Sweden has taken the highest number of refugees per capita, far more than any other country in the list. Those refugees, not all, but a majority, are under-educated, with very few sellable skills, speak broken English and almost no Swedish. What do you think the chance for them to find a job?
+
wallace1837
post 16.Feb.2017, 09:59 AM
Post #36

Does anyone have access to data where the co factors of education and Swedish born status is compiled along unemployment? I would really like to convince myself of the above hypothesis.

I would also be really curious if the type of permit have an impact on your probability of unemployment. I know it is tricky for primary holder of work permit, because if they lose their job the have to leave rather quickly. It is more about sambo and dependent visa (associated with primary work permit holder) for partners. I would be really curious if their unemployment rate is below the ~20%.

I think this is really useful information to know if your an expat and consider going to Sweden with your partner. If you talk to Swedes they will tell you it is rather easy to get a job (since their unemployment rate is ~5%, comparable to USA and Canada), but the reality of the foreign born in Sweden may be quite different (right now, the only stat I have that closely relate to foreign born is they have a ~20% unemployment rate). http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...st&p=900219

Once again, it is great that people disagree with each other. A forum is a nice place to do so while collecting data to make informed decisions, or build informed opinion.
+
rex
post 10.Jul.2017, 08:27 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 16.Feb.2017, 10:59 AM) *
Does anyone have access to data where the co factors of education and Swedish born status is compiled along unemployment? I would really like to convince myself of the above h ... (show full quote)

The OECD number is accurate because unemployment rates do not account for those who are studying full-time, which encompasses most refugees without a degree; most of them either have a job or are studying. The unemployment rate represents people who are actively searching for a job.

The estimates for other countries are computed in exactly the same way, so the comparison is valid. Some people don't like the conclusions because they implicate that foreign-born residents in Sweden do not have good access to the labor force, but that is a question for another time.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Jul.2017, 09:51 PM
Post #38

Unemployment statistics are very misleading...everywhere...

In the US, if you cannot find full time work and accept a part time job, you are no longer unemployed...I think it should be counted as half employed...

If you cannot find a job and cease searching, you are not counted as unemployed even though others are supporting you...Not fair!!!

And what about people who are reemployed way below their previous salary income level???
+
superdrive
post 10.Jul.2017, 10:08 PM
Post #39

"There are also some stores in Sweden that sell skin bleach, often in places like Afro hair stores etc. This can help give you more of a "European" look."

The guy is not from Somalia, he's slavic. He doesn't need skin bleach to look more white. WTF.
+
rex
post 10.Jul.2017, 10:12 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 10.Jul.2017, 10:51 PM) *
Unemployment statistics are very misleading...everywhere...In the US, if you cannot find full time work and accept a part time job, you are no longer unemployed...I think it s ... (show full quote)

Not for the sake of the comparison, the OECD number is good enough to discover potential differences between countries, just like it has.

Some might say that it's okay, that's how it's supposed to be, after all Sweden is for Swedes and all that story, however, don't forget that unemployment among immigrants is measured for people who have the right to stay in Sweden, i.e., they're not going anywhere. Therefore, such discriminatory ideologies lead to greater socio-economic differences between immigrants and natives, which opens the door to a society where you have two classes of citizens. This is a recipe for disaster especially in a society like Sweden where ten percent of the population is comprised of first and second generation immigrants.
+
wallace1837
post 10.Jul.2017, 10:15 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 10.Jul.2017, 08:51 PM) *
Unemployment statistics are very misleading...everywhere...In the US, if you cannot find full time work and accept a part time job, you are no longer unemployed...I think it s ... (show full quote)

Show me the data!

All cool hypothesis to test with data. In the meantime we can speculate on what it would change compare to what we have data to rely on. Until then I will based my opinion on information supported by data, like in the OECD study.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Jul.2017, 10:41 PM
Post #42

My post was to show possible differences to how unemployment statistics are achieved...nothing else, I don't have to prove anything...Some do it one way another does it differently...

Trust what you want...
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Jul.2017, 10:45 PM
Post #43

"There are also some stores in Sweden that sell skin bleach, often in places like Afro hair stores etc. This can help give you more of a "European" look."

Stores sell what customers need and ask for...everywhere!!!
+
rex
post 10.Jul.2017, 10:56 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 10.Jul.2017, 11:15 PM) *
Show me the data! All cool hypothesis to test with data. In the meantime we can speculate on what it would change compare to what we have data to rely on. Until then I wil ... (show full quote)

I think I found the data you were looking for. Just google "Employment rates by place of birth and educational attainment" It's an OECD table.

Check the attached table below.
Attached Image
+
Svedallas
post 12.Jul.2017, 09:22 AM
Post #45

QUOTE (superdrive @ 10.Jul.2017, 11:08 PM) *
"There are also some stores in Sweden that sell skin bleach, often in places like Afro hair stores etc. This can help give you more of a "European" look."T ... (show full quote)

And who was it that said Savage works for BBC?
This is the advice that was given...Yes. WTF.
+

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: