The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Driving with my victorian(Australian) License

Abid Hussain
post 23.Sep.2005, 10:36 AM
Post #1

HI everyone, whats goin on. I have just moved from Melbourne to Malmö and I have an Australian licence could anyone tell that whether it can be converted into Swedish one. If not how long can I drive for in here with my Aussie license. Or even having had a license for the last 6 years Am i supposed to go through the same procedure that a beginner would do in Sweden. As i heard in Denmark if u already have a license you can straight away go for the test biggrin.gif . but is this the same in Sweden or :cry: . Thankx
Go to the top of the page
+
Michele
post 23.Sep.2005, 02:12 PM
Post #2

Hiyas. smile.gif

I'm sorry to say, your license is only good for 1 year. Then you must switch to a Swedish one and for that, you have to start from scratch as a beginner. There have been some noises recently that you wont have to do the driving school, but that you will have to do all the tests, both written and driving. Best to check with the office in your area to be sure.

Good luck!
+
*Andersson*
post 23.Sep.2005, 11:44 PM
Post #3

Hi Abid!

Unfortunately the news isn't good..as Michele said, you will need to take all tests again (theory test which must be done via a computer), halkbana test (skidding etc) and uppkörning (the practical). While you are not obliged to go via a driving school, it is advisable that you pay the ridiculous amount of money and have a couple of lessons as they are more likely to pass you if you are in a driving school. I'm and Aussie and the whole experience of getting my drivers licence was my first nightmare in Sweden. I don't want to bore you with ALL the details. But some advice, make sure you have SWEDISH ID (Australian passport will not suffice) when you go for your tests otherwise you will be told,in the typical "friendly"beauracratic swedish way ?No, you cannot sit the test, re-book and come back again and you will have to pay again?..this happened to me although as I was with a driving school and they had given me the wrong info they kindly paid for my second attempt at being permitted to sit the test 4 weeks later which thankfully I passed as the extra wait did not do too much for my nercves. To prepare for the test, try and find a driving school that has the "practice tests" in english..you will need to go there and sit on the computer for quite a few hours but it's probably worth it as the questions prepare you/are similar to the actual test. Essentially the theory is the hardest part, halkbana is fun (if you take out the cost factor) and uppkörning (the practical) you would think should be easy (if you have been driving in Aus for 6 years) but they may be tough on you just BECAUSE (like they often are on young drivers) and fail you the first time. This happened to me and I can tell you that when I passsed the 2nd time I drove 100 times worse than the first attempt (by this stage I was a nervous wreck considering I'd had to wait twice to sit my theory and was kind of aghast that I had failed my first practical test (I had expected the theory to be the harder of the 2) after driving over 10 yeard in Aus. I later found out from a girl doing SAS at that time that she had been failed 3 times, gave up and drove illegally, got caught and has to redo all the theory again after a 2 year suspension. She DIDN'T go through a driving school. Therefore I advise all immigrants to go through the driving school as they are more likely to pass you (if not directly..soonish).

Believe it or not, that was the short version...I had battles with Vägverket, England and even wrote to Spain (I think from memory) to see about getting a Swedish licence by getting another EU licence (before 1996 an Aussie living in Sweden could swap for an English drivers licence..a friend of mine living here did that ..and can therefore swap to a Swedish one). Unfortunately with the new EU rules, an Aussie must live in England for 6mths to qualify for the the drivers licence. I also had numerous arguements with Vägverket especially when they "again kindly" explained that I had to have an EU licence to swap to a swedish one. However, if you have a Japanese licence (also left traffic like the Aussies) this is an exception..something that I took up with the Vägverket (ie I asked what are the reasons for allowing Japanese licences which are outside EU and not Australian). I never received an explanation (my husband even queried in Swedish) but I will alway recall a lady in our local post office (during this time when I asked her for contact info in regard to the whole process) saying "dear, you really shouldn't waste your time with this. It is the way things are". I recall looking at this woman and thinking I have come to a VERY SCARY PLACE.

OK..sorry about the long whinge..
+
Abid Hussain
post 28.Sep.2005, 01:44 PM
Post #4

Thanks very much indeed for this and beleive or not i did enjoy reading all this(though it wasnt something i wanted to read sad.gif ). I dont think anyone else would have given me this clear idea. You know what now I have got myself prepared for all this, that I will have to go through the process. Just one last thing about this Are you in Stockholm or Malmo. Because assuming Malmo slower than Hobart I beleive the instructor should supposedly be KOOOOL and easyyy regarding the test. But I will still be prepared for this war of Korkort. Thankx Again.
+
*Andersson*
post 28.Sep.2005, 02:04 PM
Post #5

Hi Abid,

I am in neither Malmö or Stockholm..you may have more luck with the instructers down your way (or it could simply be I was a cr.. driver :? ) Either way, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!
+
Benzed
post 1.Nov.2005, 10:58 AM
Post #6

Having to sit the tests again is utterly hilarious!

How such a thing can be acceptable is beyond me.
+
Eyallow
post 1.Nov.2005, 02:12 PM
Post #7

This is not a matter for laughter..It might just cost you 15000 kr... :shock: to go through the whole process from scratch!
+
Mnemonic
post 1.Nov.2005, 03:57 PM
Post #8

How do you go about to switch to a EU license?
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 1.Nov.2005, 05:52 PM
Post #9

Well...since I am not staying here longer than 5 years...I got a waiver...I just have to pay 500SEK every year (I think) and keep my US licence.

I dont know why they have Swedish driving schools though - every Swede I know drives like a psychopath in their huge Volvo.
+
Roowhip
post 1.Nov.2005, 06:32 PM
Post #10

How do you go about to switch to a EU license?

What are you switching from and are you living in Sweden?
+
*Stu*
post 1.Nov.2005, 08:02 PM
Post #11

It amazes me that a UK license can be swapped for any other EU license. I have an NL license swapped from my UK one.

I never did understand a lot of the road rules until I did my NL motorbike license. Driving on the right instead of the left is one thing but there's no LHD equivalent of the "give way to the right" rule in the UK. The maximum speeds are different and in km/h instead of mph.
+
Benzed
post 3.Nov.2005, 12:33 PM
Post #12

i should point out that by "hilarious" i really meant "backwards, ridiculous and inept in judgement"!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: