• Sweden's news in English

app_header_v3
The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

photo on CV and having a linkedin account ?

In order to get a job, are they necessary?

impulsive1381
post 8.Feb.2016, 06:43 PM
Post #1

Hi

I moved to Swede around 10 months ago and I really want to know something about getting a job in Sweden.

It is hard to imagine to do this in my country but seems everyone puts their photo on CV or resume.

1. Putting a photo on CV or resume, is it common is Sweden (stockholm)?

2. About linkedin, I persoanlly don't like to use linkedin or sns. Does recuitment team check applicant's linkedin?
Is it good to have a linkedin to increase opportunies to get a job in Sweden(stockholm) ?

tack
Go to the top of the page
+
Hisingen
post 8.Feb.2016, 07:17 PM
Post #2

Firstly - you are more than a llittle about acquiring employment, especially these days. Have you not noticed how things are from the multitudinous comments on these forums?
Secondly, I was reading an article the other day in which there was a recommendation not to include a photo with any application. No clear reason was given, so I cannot enlarge upon that.
Third and last . watch out for your spelling and grammar. Especially on your CV and any job application. Double check it and then some. Otherwise it will let you down badly.
+
Poro Po
post 8.Feb.2016, 09:10 PM
Post #3

Hi,

I'm also looking for a job in Sweden. My friends have told me that most of the CVs have photos and they attach them, but it is not necessary. I am not sure about LinkedIn. Maybe someone else can say something more? I'm also interested as I don't have LinkedIn profile, but maybe that's a mistake.
+
yet another brit
post 9.Feb.2016, 09:13 AM
Post #4

I've known recruiting managers who completely ignore LinkedIn, and those who assume that large LinkedIn network = necessarily better candidate. The truth is between the two. My advice would be that if you do have a LinkedIn profile, make sure that it is professional, concise & complete. In other words, that it reads as a good CV.

In any material that a recruiter might look at (including the results of a Google search on your name, let alone the actual application or LinkedIn etc), any spelling/grammar mistakes score you down very badly. This is because of first impressions, and mistakes mark you out as both incompetent and lazy. Better good English than bad Swedish, and vice versa. Choose the language according to the job description.

I personally don't look at photos of people when they send applications. But if you do include a photo - neat, smart, head/shoulders only & well lit.

+
Genaro
post 9.Feb.2016, 11:14 AM
Post #5

This is Sweden and in today's job market I would only submit a photograph if specifically requested. If you unnecessarily include a photo with an application then you are inviting discrimination

Your Linkedin profile should, though, have a photo to establish authenticity and it should be a decent professional photo too.

+
elliha
post 9.Feb.2016, 11:36 AM
Post #6

There is no given answer. A friend who is an immigrant from the Balkans increased his success with a photo quite a lot. He has a foreign name but looks Swedish and people are apparently that shallow... I don't include a photo myself unless asked but my husband prefers to include one for every application. We have both been called for interviews with and without photo so I cannot say for sure if it is better to have one or not.
+
Hisingen
post 9.Feb.2016, 12:48 PM
Post #7

At a guess it all depends upon whether you have a squint in both eyes, got buck teeth and are either as bald as a coot or have hair down to your knees, and ears that stick out like taxi doors.

Just a thought - - biggrin.gif
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: