The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Anyone in Karlstad?

It's not far from Kristinehamn

Lingonberry
post 27.Apr.2010, 07:15 PM
Post #1

If there is no one with any opinion on Kristinehamn, what about Karlstad? Does it have good museums, a library, a concert hall, cinemas etc. Any shops with prices to suit the non-rich? Does it have swimming places by the lake?
Go to the top of the page
+
DidiE
post 27.Apr.2010, 07:24 PM
Post #2

I'm half in Karlstad, half in Skövde, till we sell the house and move full time to K-town. I like it a lot. The library is great, the opera house is there, I've seen a nice size cinema, lots of places to swim, I'm told, and I just like the laid back vibe there. You thinking about moving?
+
rkl
post 27.Apr.2010, 09:35 PM
Post #3

Definitely Karlstad. It's beautiful with plenty of things to do. The same may be said of Kristinehamn, but I've never lived there. I'm a bit biased towards Karlstad. smile.gif
+
Lingonberry
post 28.Apr.2010, 01:16 PM
Post #4

Yes, I'm trying to find somewhere by a lake. I was in Lidköping in March (you kindly helped me with a query about the bus cards) but someone else got the flat I liked there so I'm looking at other places. Karlstad sounds good but I think I will be happier in a smaller place with the odd day trip to a larger town. Can you tell me if they have similar bus cards in Värmland?
+
Meatball
post 28.Apr.2010, 03:03 PM
Post #5

I live in Karlstad. It's a great place, I am a bit reluctant to call it a 'city'...There is plenty of water everywhere with Klarälven that runs straight through the town and in summer it really is nice with all the outdoor restaurants. The best though is because it's relatively small everything is within a 15 kilometre radius so everything is really accessable on all the bicycle paths...foreigners usually call it 'Cyclist paradise'. We have everything you would need here. I don't know what you meant with the bus card thing.
+
rkl
post 28.Apr.2010, 03:03 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Lingonberry @ 28.Apr.2010, 07:16 AM) *
Yes, I'm trying to find somewhere by a lake. I was in Lidköping in March (you kindly helped me with a query about the bus cards) but someone else got the flat I liked th ... (show full quote)

Buses to travel all over Värmland region or just around Karlstad?
+
Lingonberry
post 28.Apr.2010, 08:09 PM
Post #7

Re the bus card: when I was in Lidköping, I bought a bus card from Västraffik for about 400kr and was able to use it on the buses and trains around Skövde and Mariestad, but I wasn't sure what to do with the card with the machine so some kind people here explained it to me. So what I need to know is do you need a different card in Värmland, do they use cards or do you pay cash on the bus around Kristinehamn and to go to Karlstad?

Re: Karlstad - it sounds good - I shall definitely visit but the flats seem to be more expensive.

Re: cycling - do you ever see anyone on a tricycle - I've never ridden a bike and I think I'm a bit too old to learn now.
+
rkl
post 28.Apr.2010, 10:54 PM
Post #8

You can't use cash on the regular buses here. They have their own currency, but it's typically cheaper to buy a card and put money on to use it.

Here's the price list for Värmlandstraffik - http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...sl=sv&tl=en translated into English

I've seen a person or two on a three wheeled bicycle, but you can always learn to ride. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
+
DidiE
post 29.Apr.2010, 08:02 AM
Post #9

Hej- why don't you consider renting a flat in Kil, or one of the neighbouring areas? Flat prices here in Karlstad are about 50% higher than what we paid in Skaraborg area, but the prices out in the suburbs are very reasonable. We are thinking about buying in Kil since the prices are so much better, the train and bus connections are very good, and so the cost of commuting is reasonable. Try going in to kil.se and looking at the available bostader, or try boolivision.se and see if anything appeals. I think it would be great fun to be neighbours if it works out for you.
+
Lingonberry
post 30.Apr.2010, 01:29 PM
Post #10

Thanks for the information. I hope to be in the area around 13 - 15 May so I'll try the buses out and see what I can find out about flats. Not so sure about learning to ride a bike, but it must be much safer in Sweden on the cycle tracks than it is on the narrow busy roads here.
+
DidiE
post 30.Apr.2010, 04:24 PM
Post #11

Just wear a helmet, and long pants as you learn the trails, and you should be quite okay. I would never think of riding a bike without a helmet- I know what brain injuries do to people's lives. Be safe, and be happy, and we can fika as soon as we both find homes there.
+
rkl
post 30.Apr.2010, 10:49 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Lingonberry @ 30.Apr.2010, 07:29 AM) *
Thanks for the information. I hope to be in the area around 13 - 15 May so I'll try the buses out and see what I can find out about flats. Not so sure about learning to ri ... (show full quote)

May 13 is a holiday here, so everything might not be open. Just a little heads up! Let me know if you have any questions. smile.gif
+
Puffin
post 1.May.2010, 09:20 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (DidiE @ 29.Apr.2010, 09:02 AM) *
Hej- why don't you consider renting a flat in Kil, or one of the neighbouring areas? Flat prices here in Karlstad are about 50% higher than what we paid in Skaraborg area, ... (show full quote)

This is a good point.

Often princes in the centre of University and College towns are higher because of the demand from students for rented accomodation as well as sometime parents buy up cheaper bostadsrätts for their student children
+
Lingonberry
post 1.May.2010, 04:43 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (rkl @ 30.Apr.2010, 10:49 PM) *
May 13 is a holiday here, so everything might not be open. Just a little heads up! Let me know if you have any questions. smile.gif

Another holiday! I thought you had that this weekend. Will the buses and trains be running on 13 May?
+
Puffin
post 1.May.2010, 05:47 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Lingonberry @ 1.May.2010, 05:43 PM) *
Another holiday! I thought you had that this weekend.

In Sweden we get actual dates rather than the fixed holidays at the start and end of May that you get in the UK

We have not done so well out of the May day weekend as the actuall public holiday is May 1st - but this year it falls on a Saturday and unlike the UK there are no compensation holidays.

May 13th is Ascention Day

June 6th is Sweden's National Day but again this falls on a Sunday this year

... after that no more public holidays until Christmas - but even Christmas Day and Boxing day fall at a weekend this year ... sad.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: