The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Moving to Uppsala

What goes on?

chairtowner
post 6.Jun.2010, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Hi all

I'm a twenty-something Englishman deciding whether to accept a job offer in Uppsala. I expect The Local gets about a million posts like this, but if anyone has a few moments to reply then I'd really appreciate some thoughts about what goes on in Uppsala and where I might meet new people if I accepted the offer.

I applied to a firm having offices in Stockholm and Uppsala, but was actually hoping for an offer for Stockholm. My reasoning was i) I've been thinking of getting out of London and doing something different, and ii) I already have a few social contacts around Stockholm so it appeals more than moving to any other arbitrary place in the world. I'm sure Uppsala is not a substitute for Stockholm per se, but I guess it may have it's own charms so I don't necessarily want to decline the offer out of hand. I am an outdoors kind of person so the idea has its possibilities. My main concern is meeting new people. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experience of moving to Uppsala?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
Lingonberry
post 6.Jun.2010, 06:57 PM
Post #2

I spent 2 weeks in Uppsala in 2008 and it is a lovely place. Lucky you - go for it! You can always go to Stockholm for the day.
+
kaze
post 6.Jun.2010, 09:33 PM
Post #3

I've lived in Uppsala 2 years.
Its pretty and nice but not much to do, especially for someone who isn't a student.
If you do come you really must try and apply for a place on a university course just so you can pay the union dues and get a student ID- then the amount of nightlife on offer goes up from 3 clubs to 6. Yey. But nothing too great.
+
chairtowner
post 7.Jun.2010, 11:41 PM
Post #4

Thanks - that seems like a pretty honest answer. Hmm, well I'd be working full-time so wouldn't be a student. If it's possible to enroll on a part time course then that's not a bad idea - but I'd have thought of Uppsala as a pretty serious university, not just some night school? Perhaps there are affiliated night classes too. I shall investigate.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: