The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Finding an international gymnasium in Västerås

Anyone living in Västerås?

haisydinh
post 14.Jul.2010, 11:22 PM
Post #1

I am moving to Västerås next year with my family. I want to find a gymnasium in Västerås which offers courses taught in English for my son. Can anyone please tell me if there is any gymnasium that my son can study in English? My wife and I are really worried about finding a school for him. We appreciate any help and advice.
Go to the top of the page
+
Monark540
post 15.Jul.2010, 11:15 AM
Post #2

Disclaimer - I live in Stockholm, but decided to poke around the internet since no one had replied to your query.

My son just graduated from an IB program here in Stockholm - I did a quick check and saw that the IB program is not offered by any of the gymnasiums in Västerås, but almost all of the national programs are available.

Here is a guide to gymnasiums in Sweden:
Gymnasium Guide

You'll find more detailed information as to enrollment in Västerås, here, at the city's website:
Vasteras.se

English is widely taught throughout Sweden and you should be able to make a good choice from the 15 or so schools there. Its a good idea to start your search early since I think that you need (in a perfect world) to have this squared-away by next February for late August 2011 start.

I would suggest that you visit some schools this Fall. Hope this helps!
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 15.Jul.2010, 11:34 AM
Post #3

Don't forget that gymnasiets have student accommodation for those who choose a course further a field.

IB schools in Sweden http://www.ibo.org/school/search/index.cfm...nd_schools=Find
+
Puffin
post 15.Jul.2010, 11:56 AM
Post #4

An alternative would be for you to commute to Västerås and live closer to Stockholm (obviously the capital) or Uppsala (Sweden's oldest University city) where there is much choice of international schooling.

You also need to consider longer term plans - does your son intend to attend university? If so in Sweden or abroad
- if abroad and IB school may be a good idea
- In Sweden - then a biligual gymnasiet where he can pass the compuslory Swedish langauge tests may be a consideration
+
gplusa
post 15.Jul.2010, 12:11 PM
Post #5

I believe that, if you wish to study a programme not offered by the nearest gymnasiet, you are entitled to enrol in the nearest gymnasiet that does offer the course you want. The extra costs incurred should be met by the kommun in which your nearest gymnasiet is located.
+
scots dave
post 15.Jul.2010, 03:23 PM
Post #6

Try the English School in Örebro it is meant to be excellent and train service from Västerås is very good and efficient. Alot of people commute to and from Örebro/Västerås every day. ps I have heard there is normally a waiting list but they give preference to english speaking ex-pats newly relocated, give then a call
+
haisydinh
post 15.Jul.2010, 11:15 PM
Post #7

thank you for your help. My son will be attending gymnasium next year and as far as I know, the english schools in both Örebro and Eskilstuna are middle school (compulsury schools) so that will not work. I'm hoping to find some schools that offers Natural Sciences program in English but I would consider IB schools if I have no other choice.
If someone knows any international gymnasium in the region, please let me know.
+
Monark540
post 16.Jul.2010, 10:34 AM
Post #8

Try here:
Rudbeckianska Gymnasiet
+
*Flipje*
post 16.Oct.2010, 12:41 PM
Post #9

Rudbecksskolan (gymnasiet) in Örebro offers a 3-yrs IB-program in english.

http://www.orebro.se/utbildningarfranht201...bd58000470.html
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: