The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Vasteras as a city

Good value and up and coming place?

TomasBrolin
post 8.Feb.2011, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Would anybody recommend Vasteras at all as a city to move to? Seen some very pretty small towns, but I need somewhere that I can find employment and decent nightlife.

Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmo I know very well and have visited before, but I wanted to look into a few alternatives. What are the house prices like and is there much to do there? I notice they have an airport. Are there any other small cities or large towns that people would recommend? Halmstad? Orebro? Karlstad?
Go to the top of the page
+
kaze
post 8.Feb.2011, 04:36 PM
Post #2

They've an airport which flies to London I know.
I think however that its currently winding down heavily.
Otherwise...meh. Pretty average little city/
+
Garry Jones
post 8.Feb.2011, 04:39 PM
Post #3

Västerås will always have a special place in my heart. When I first visited Sweden, in 1981, it was to see Chelsea play some training matches around the Västerås area. I met some locals and kept in touch. I then enjoyed summer holidays in Västerås in the eighties. By 83 I was even over in the winters to Västerås.

Eventually I moved to Västerås from London in 1988. I later moved on to Mora. And then I had another spell in Västerås 2002-2004. I have always found the people very friendly. In many ways it was a city that suited me. A few more expats to meet up with and watch the footie on a Saturday afternoon and a load of great Swedes. Nowadays with the direct UK flights and IKEA its really on the map. In my early days there 45% of the work force worked for ASEA. (Who then got bought out and become ABB).

My life is in Mora, but I am often in Västerås and still love the town. Great people, lovely town centre, good nightlife, low crime and 2 major shopping centres East and West of the town on the motorway. Night buses get you home if you go out late.
+
CTIDinÅrsta
post 8.Feb.2011, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Västerås has a "ring road" that is part of the E18 and goes through the middle of the town. The speed limit goes down to 80km/h and, for a short stretch, 50km/h but there are no speed cameras. However, approaching from the east there are often police cars waiting to catch those who break the speed limit.
+
byke
post 8.Feb.2011, 08:05 PM
Post #5

Are any towns in sweden "Up and coming" compared to the cities?
(I personally dont think so)
+
Streja
post 8.Feb.2011, 08:11 PM
Post #6

Strömstad is. Their supermarkets sell the most in Sweden and the nightlife is great in the summer especially as it is a tourist town.

Might get annoying though if you're a local, pushing through those Norwegians.
+
CTIDinÅrsta
post 8.Feb.2011, 08:13 PM
Post #7

Kramfors - Höga Kusten is rising faster than anywhere else on earth.
+
Streja
post 8.Feb.2011, 08:16 PM
Post #8

lol
+
Kibiri
post 9.Feb.2011, 11:11 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (TomasBrolin @ 8.Feb.2011, 04:10 PM) *
Would anybody recommend Vasteras at all as a city to move to? Seen some very pretty small towns, but I need somewhere that I can find employment and decent nightlife.Stockhol ... (show full quote)

I live in Västerås and am quite happy with it. But I don't know if I can recommend it to you because I don't know anything about you. You don't tell what kind of job you looking for either. Actually you can and should start looking for a job in a city before moving there. There are a few clubs/bars here, mostly enough for my liking, no Stureplan though.

For house prices you can check hemnet.se and/or booli.se. The airport doesn't have much traffic. Only regular flight right now is Ryanair to London.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: