The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Safe to live in Gothenburg?

Share your experiences

Marcell Dionne
post 9.May.2016, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Hi,

I'm a bit worried, is Gothenburg still a safe place to live in? Friends of mine is talking about a drastic change the last year with gun firing in restaurants and on the streets.. Is this really true? My picture of Sweden was a socially strong and safe country. If its true, what do you think is the cause?
Go to the top of the page
+
delta76
post 9.May.2016, 12:28 PM
Post #2

Sweden is still safe by US-standard. The recent problems are caused by the new influx of immigrations. You know - the gangs need to settle down who control which areas. After a while I think it'll be back to "normal" - they won't want to mess up with the police.

Of course let's see how much the new "normal" is worse than the old one.
+
cherif
post 9.May.2016, 01:35 PM
Post #3

Hello,

Like in every major city in Sweden, you must avoid some neighborhoods !

Ask the locals...
+
Hisingen
post 9.May.2016, 01:41 PM
Post #4

Just believe all you read in the press. Sweden is now equivalent to the lawless west. Guns abound, Hells Angels and Bandidos are everywhere, the police are deserting, there is no army, navy or air force, people seldom go out after dark, fear is rampant everywhere since IS are on the attack, Russia is breathing down the governement's neck, food and water are in short supply, and all in all, hell is breaking loose.
So - is Gothenburg safe. About as safe as North Korea. And not likely to get any better, either. Systemet closes at 19:30. OMG.
Add to that, this forum is full of people who hate Sweden.

laugh.gif cool.gif
+
Mzungu
post 9.May.2016, 01:55 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 9.May.2016, 02:41 PM) *
Just believe all you read in the press. Sweden is now equivalent to the lawless west. Guns abound, Hells Angels and Bandidos are everywhere, the police are deserting, there is ... (show full quote)

You forgot to mention that welfare has been reduced...

*along with housing allowance* **wink**
+
Hisingen
post 9.May.2016, 02:38 PM
Post #6

I apologise for my negligence Mz.

biggrin.gif
+
Hisingen
post 9.May.2016, 02:58 PM
Post #7

To Savage, I would say that I do agree.
Gbg is nothing like the city that greeted me in 1960. The changes that have taken place since that time have, in the main, not altogether been for its betterment. It does make you wonder why, and who is responsible for all the upheaval.
The old city character and heart has been torn out, and more is yet to come. I left the city for Northern Bohuslän in 1985 and have never regretted the move for an instant.
The current 'congestion tax' is no incitement for change of attitude, either. Destined to pay for the Västlänken fisaco, the money has been used instead to fill other holes in the finance coffers. So what will be used for payment remains to be seen. Upping the taxes maybe.
I feel that Gothenburg is destined - not for better things - but for a prestige-filled upheaval of truly large proportions that will last for the next decade or so, and I personally feel much the better for not having to experience it, but do feel sorry for my family that still lives there and all the folks that will have to survive the coming 'Blitz'. Remembering the London Blitz, I can easily envisage how this Gbg Blitz will affect the people and the city as a whole.
+
andy_fin
post 9.May.2016, 03:55 PM
Post #8

Given the size of the population of Gothenburg, I think you would be very hard pressed to find a similar city in western Europe that experiences a similar level of such brutality.

Clearly you've never been to Glasgow on a Tuesday night.

After 5-10 minutes of googling for actual sources i didn't come across anything that would make me think Gothenburg was especially dangerous.
Now i know whats coming you'll link an article that directly expresses your point of view. Confirmation Bias is not a way to discuss.

Malmö was ranked as the 'Most Dangerous!!!' Swedish city on any list i found.
Marseilles, Brussels Glasgow, Dublin, Naples and even Nottingham featured highly on the list, excluding some war torn regions of Europe.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/most-da...-in-europe.html

It's not an easy search because of the click-bait type articles written about the subject.
"Top 10 things you'll not believe are True and Aren't!"
I'm sure most are hosted on this site anyway but the ad-blocker knocks those off smile.gif
+
LLHope
post 9.May.2016, 05:01 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Mzungu @ 9.May.2016, 12:55 PM) *
You forgot to mention that welfare has been reduced... *along with housing allowance* **wink**
In the words of Bachman Turner Overdrive ...You ain't seen nothin' yet!

Remember, the law change with regards asylum seekers who have been rejected comes into force 1st July. From that date they must leave the asylboende, will not receive any further asylum related benefits etc.. etc.. The estimate at the time of the law proposal was a conservative 10.000 individuals being stripped of accommodation and living benefits... Exactly where these people and what they will do to survive has not been addressed...I rather tend to suspect that since they have been hanging around for so long without leaving the country anyway, they ain't going to go just because they are stripped of support. They will certainly move "underground" and generate their own incomes in some inevitable manner, which no-one seems to want to address before July! angry.gif
+
Hisingen
post 9.May.2016, 06:38 PM
Post #10

Do not forget that Glasgow is populated - by Scots, some of whom were the founding fathers of Gothenburg.
+
DuneSunny
post 9.May.2016, 07:56 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (cherif @ 9.May.2016, 01:35 PM) *
Hello,. Like in every major city in Sweden, you must avoid some neighborhoods !. Ask the locals...

Never a truer word spoken. Ask "The Locals" not "The Local."
+
skogsbo
post 10.May.2016, 07:56 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Savage @ 9.May.2016, 05:42 PM) *
Having lived in Glasgow previously, the main difference between the cities is social and economic standards.

I lived in the 'new' gorbals for a while. It was safe for me, but there was violence all the time between the various local groups & gangs.

GBG is no different, a normal person, living a normal life will never notice 99% of the goings on, unless you read the tabloid press which will convince you every second person is murderer, which is of course statistically impossible. If you believe have the stories there is so much crime, everyone would have to be both victim and attacker, to meet their figures.

There is much conflict at the moment, when you have the old Bikers, Russian gangs, eastern European, Balkan's folk and now the new comers all fighting for their turf, control of the crime, the pros, the drugs etc..
+
Hisingen
post 10.May.2016, 10:40 AM
Post #13

Heaven help Kal o Ada - - -

sad.gif
+
intrepidfox
post 10.May.2016, 05:56 PM
Post #14

I have lived in Gbg almost 30 years and it has changed alot. Robberies may be due to new immigration but not the shootings or gang related violence. That is caused by second generation immigrants.

It is not safe to go out late at night anymore, the streets are covered in rubbish, the council doesn´t give a crap about it´s people etc.

I have heard shooting from where i live but for the normal person living where i am, just ignores it. The same when the kids smash up the playground or fight other kids. Why get involved? The parents dont care and the police cannot help. Why bother.

Regardeless of this, i Love Gbg and would not want to live anywhere else
+
cherif
post 11.May.2016, 10:50 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (DuneSunny @ 9.May.2016, 07:56 PM) *
Never a truer word spoken. Ask "The Locals" not "The Local."

wink.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: