The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Single parent questions

Offered a job in Stockholm

alphaomega
post 23.Jul.2019, 01:28 PM
Post #16

"Why am I even considering it - there's social insecurity for single mothers in India. No trust that police or law will protect. Regressively patriarchal society. Terrible air and water. Unsafe transportation. A lot of stress. And a lot of inflation. What I have to pay to have a less insecure life here would bring my cost of living up to the same levels as Sweden. "

Not True, most of it seems to be your imagination. There is no social insecurity. Police and law will protect women more than men. 600k SEK income per year in India places you well above 90% of Indians and anyone will live like a royal with that income in India.
Go to the top of the page
+
at_the_gates
post 23.Jul.2019, 01:35 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (anarchy @ 20.Jul.2019, 01:00 PM) *
However, I am a bit surprised no-one here is stating the obvious: if you already earn 600k sek in India, an income bump to 800k will by far not compensate for the higher cost ... (show full quote)

+1 to this. You can't live like you do in India for the salary you've been offered in Sweden. So you need to decide, is the security, air, water, transport etc of a country like Sweden worth more than your lifestyle in India (house size, live in help etc).

And like i said, you need to work out all your costs. Housing and food in Sweden are extremely expensive, even compared to inner London where i moved from.
+
alphaomega
post 23.Jul.2019, 01:48 PM
Post #18

However, I am a bit surprised no-one here is stating the obvious: if you already earn 600k sek in India, an income bump to 800k will by far not compensate for the higher cost of living in Sweden. You are by relative measures much more wealthy in India than you would be in Sweden. Although 800k is roughly 2.5 times the average Swedish income, still 600k in India must be something like 7-8 times the average Indian income?

Your other question of quality of life and security can’t be answered easily. As a foreigner in Sweden you will probably suffer from the culture difference, language barrier, etc... Sense of security is rather relative, being a foreigner in a foreign land can be quite intimidating no matter where you’re from and where you move to. I wouldn’t idolize Sweden in any way, you should expect to run into obstacles that require a lot of patience and resilience on you part. Like anywhere else you will be greeted with both hospitality and xenophobia in your day to day life in Sweden, and of course crime exists here too... ...

+1 Very much true, as the proverb goes "The hill appears smooth from a distance"
+
Singleparenting
post 29.Jul.2019, 11:44 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (alphaomega @ 23.Jul.2019, 01:28 PM) *
Not True, most of it seems to be your imagination. There is no social insecurity. Police and law will protect women more than men. 600k SEK income per year in India places you ... (show full quote)

Let's be civil shall we? Calling people delusional doesn't;t really help. I live in India. You evidently do not. People do not 'imagine' things directly impacting their own security and those of their families. India is socially regressive and the police and judiciary are too. Scores of recent events and judgments underscore the deep misogyny of these institutions and of the society that produces them.

A 'big house' and 'royal' lifestyle mean very little if you experience chronic and institutionalised bigotry.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: