The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

How long till Försäkringskassan health insurance

Confusing statement on MV website

RAFS
post 17.Sep.2017, 05:44 PM
Post #1

This is related to my question in the Visas section, but more specific. I'm a non-EU citizen and will soon be moving to Sweden to work there, hopefully. I'm confused about how long it will be before I'm covered by Sweden's national health insurance (Försäkringskassan).

Migrationsverket says:
Someone who has been in Sweden for less than one year does not have the same rights to social benefits as someone who is a resident of Sweden. For this reason, it is important that the person in question has been provided with insurance to cover any costs that may arise in the event of illness or an accident.

The Swedish version of the first sentence is
Den som befinner sig i Sverige kortare tid än ett år har inte samma rätt till sociala förmåner som de som är bosatta här.

... but I don't understand Swedish.

But Försäkringskassan says:
Once you are registered in Sweden, you are entitled to medical care under the same terms as others who live in Sweden. This means that you pay the standard patient fee for care in the public healthcare system.

From what I've read here, registration (getting a personnummer) takes up to 3 months and in one case posted here it happened in just 2 days! So which is it - "12 months" or "until personnummer"? (This may affect the kind of private health insurance I'd need to buy when moving there and whether I ask my employer to pay for it or not.)
Go to the top of the page
+
outkindle
post 10.Jan.2018, 11:37 AM
Post #2

Hi There,

I had a similar questions, did you find your answer? Could you please share your experience and advise when the national healthcare kicks in? Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: