The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5   Reply to this topic

Racism Sweden

Alice Is Back
post 1.Mar.2006, 01:04 AM
Post #61

generally yes there is not racism against americans, just a few odd eggs that are really anti-american
Go to the top of the page
+
*Kodos*
post 1.Mar.2006, 01:06 AM
Post #62

QUOTE (Sippan)
I believe that there is some racism going on against Americans at the moment. That casual contempt that quite a few European countries has had towards the US for a pretty long time, has during recent years started to get too serious. Especially among young people.

As much as I dislike the US government, it troubles me that people would take out their frustrations over a government, on individuals.

Am I just imagining things?

Well...I do not live in Sweden, so I cannot speak directly to cultural mores. However, there have been several discussions on TL regarding America. Most of them have undertones which would lead me to believe that most Europeans think that America agrees with the current Administration. That is something I have tried diligently to prove incorrect.

Thank you for recognizing the difference between The President and the citizens.
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 1.Mar.2006, 06:21 PM
Post #63

I would advise all foreigners not to move to Sweden since all swedes are racists! 8)
+
*Mark Boy*
post 1.Mar.2006, 09:14 PM
Post #64

Stebro, how many times have you said this! We know you are ALL RACISTS, you don't need to keep on about it though!

laugh.gif
+
Alice Is Back
post 1.Mar.2006, 11:11 PM
Post #65

yes mark boy but the swedes LOVE tiny dogs, lucky for you I guess
+
Kimmo
post 12.May.2006, 02:45 PM
Post #66

No they are not racist...not against the Brits anyway, so you are fine here. AS LONG as you let them tell you about everything as they know everything and if they don't they make it up or look it up in a book. Don't be offended by that 'knowledge' just look impressed and they will be your friends for ever. Just make sure you don't pick up a partner from any of the other neighbouring Nordic countries or any of the immigrants and you will be accepted. And NEVER, did you hear that, NEVER laugh at them or criticise anything Swedish, because they are the best, no honest!!! YAWN:::::::::::::::::: !!!!!!!!!!Yes and do not forget the condoms and this coming from a woman...and not Swedish...
HAve fun; nature is good and there are some interesting people but try to go to a big town, there are two!!! Country folks are still pumpkins but DON*T tell them I said so. Or yes and hope you like hotdogs, pizzas and yeah you get some meatballs as well. But hot dog is very definately the national dish.
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 7.Jun.2006, 08:38 PM
Post #67

QUOTE (Rez)
Sweden is very racial. It wasnt always but since the 90's neo-nazism has escalated. These days you dont really hear of much racial violence as in the 90s but its still there. You can get around with english, but people seem to expect you to speak a little Swedish. People with other origins than Swedish are termed in everyday language "invandrare" meaning "foreigner" or unofficially, "your not white, youre not as good as us". For me I have a certain opportunity here with work, otherwise I would never come back here again. As a child it was beautiful, and the nature is beautiful, buyt the people are very rude, Honestly I think you should try to come for a holiday and see for yourself. Check this link out for humoristic (but not wrong) view of the topic
http://www.coolabah.com/sweden/youknow.html

Stop the spam, you föcking jerk..
+
Gustav- Fælbönnran
post 7.Jun.2006, 08:39 PM
Post #68

QUOTE (Rez)
Sweden is very racial. It wasnt always but since the 90's neo-nazism has escalated. These days you dont really hear of much racial violence as in the 90s but its still there. You can get around with english, but people seem to expect you to speak a little Swedish. People with other origins than Swedish are termed in everyday language "invandrare" meaning "foreigner" or unofficially, "your not white, youre not as good as us". For me I have a certain opportunity here with work, otherwise I would never come back here again. As a child it was beautiful, and the nature is beautiful, buyt the people are very rude, Honestly I think you should try to come for a holiday and see for yourself. Check this link out for humoristic (but not wrong) view of the topic
http://www.coolabah.com/sweden/youknow.html

Try to put yourself in the place of a Swede for a moment. Imagine that you are part of a very small ethnic group that has been wildly successful in many areas, and has created a pleasant, safe place to live. Your country is 80% forested, and the water is clean. You have maintained a connection with your cultural heritage, while moving forward with cutting edge technology. You look at the rest of the world and see countries and cultures making irrational decisions that will lead to long-term misery for their own people.

Wouldn't you have reservations about embracing the outside world? Its not as if Sweden is Britain, Japan or Germany, with large populations. In some ways, because of its size, Sweden always has its back against the wall.
+
*Streja*
post 7.Jun.2006, 09:25 PM
Post #69

[quote=Sven Adultbooks]If anyone has any information on these cities or swedish courses I would be grateful for any info?

Also, Is Swedish hard to learn?

engal. biggrin.gif[/quote]

Look up Svenska För Invandrare (SFI). It is a free set of courses for immigrants. You will need a personnummer to apply. The courses are pretty much full time, mine was every day Monday to Friday 0900 to 1230. It´s full on and intensive especially if you get a good teacher.

The hardest thing for me is being able to practice. As soon as any Swede´s hear my English accent they automatically reply in English and then it´s very difficult to switch back to my broken Swedish. I suppose this makes life easier in terms of getting along and being able to buy or get services but you don´t feel part of the culture. I mean that from a personal point of view, I don´t mean that Swedes try to make you feel that way (however they do like to show off their English).

Ironically, my "sambo" is a Swedish and English teacher but we´ve taken the decision to speak English at home because we have a baby and we want him to be fluent in both languages. He´ll become fluent in Swedish anyway but it´s important to give him a head start in English and also means that I´ll hold my authority as a parent better with him. Imagine trying to keep him on the right track in dodgy Swedish, he´d walk all over me and not have much respect for me. We know of English couples who´ve tried to bring up their children while learning and practising their Swedish at home with terrible consequences for the kids.

Another difficult thing about the language is that the extra vowel sounds are totally alien to an englsih person. Your brain is constantly trying to fit the sounds into templates that it recognises and it´s therefore quite difficult to actually hear the subtleties of the vowel sounds. I listen to the radio as much as possible, even though I don´t necessarily understand the content my brain is processing the sounds and it will eventually be easier to discriminate between vowels and accents.

Good luck.[/quote]

My mum is Spanish and her Swedish became really good and she never had any problem disciplining us hmm...I have no idea what you mean here!
+
Sazzadur
post 8.Jun.2006, 04:18 PM
Post #70

QUOTE (Engal)
I am thinking of coming to Swden to study and would like to know if any racism exists, especially towards the english, also if any Swedish people read this do you like the English?

Basically, would I be welcome in Sweden?

You would be welcome, Engal. Swedes like Engish very much, it seems they will change their languge in their mouth and tongue, they will speak english in University and other places BUT NOT IN working place. When you will want to talk to them, they will talk to you in English, but when you will go to them for work, they will sepak you in Swedish. Swedish are very polite, gentle and loving persons, but they fuck smoothly. You may get shock if you dont know it, after somedays you will be accustomed to it. But dont be scared off their so called hospitality.
+

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: