The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Sunday Roast and trimmings

No chicken & no gravy on Yorkshires! :o

JulieLou40
post 6.Mar.2012, 01:02 PM
Post #16

Our favourite sunday roast:

Chicken breasts (there's no way I'm doing the necessary with a whole chicken, despite being a decent cook!!)
Put the chicken breasts on pieces of foil, sprinkle over herbs (usually tarragon), olive oil, lemon juice and wrap up and bake.

Roasties done in goose fat

Yorkshires

Whichever veg I feel I have a chance of my sambo and son eating at least a few of-usually carrots and peas

Chicken gravy

Bread sauce

stuffing

God, I wish I could eat one now laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
fulham
post 6.Mar.2012, 01:17 PM
Post #17

I do a roast now and again but im not keen on lamb as their is too much fat for my liking (Jack Spratt).

A perfect roast for us is chicken or beef with roast pots, sage and onion paxo, lots of veg for the wife and for me processed peas pref Mortons, Yorkshire pudding, mint sauce and gravy made from Bisto.

Ive never had cauliflower cheese with a roast before, i normally do that as a seperate dinner but i will try that this week as this post has made me hungry
+
Snood
post 6.Mar.2012, 01:45 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (fulham @ 6.Mar.2012, 01:17 PM) *
Ive never had cauliflower cheese with a roast before, i normally do that as a seperate dinner but i will try that this week as this post has made me hungry

I only tried it for the first time a couple of years ago, it's rare I have it with a roast but it is good. It's certainly better than boiled/steamed cauliflower.
+
Roaringwater
post 6.Mar.2012, 01:45 PM
Post #19

Beef toploin/sirloin roast on the bone (which costs a mortgage in Scandiland)
Roast spuds (parboiled first then roast beside the joint)
Boiled spuds
Lightly boiled green cabbage
Yorkshire pud (little individual ones made in a fairy cake tin using beef dripping)
Bisto gravy (yeah - I can make real gravy from scratch but Bisto just tastes better :-)

It's my death row meal...
+
Streja
post 6.Mar.2012, 05:20 PM
Post #20

About the fish and chips again...didn't you guys know that we were joking when we said it was the most unhealthy thing in the world to eat? It was all tongue in cheek, well from me anyway. I actually said it was nice as well.

Anyway, Yorkshire puddings to me are like mushroom shaped plättar with no flavour (but that might depend on the cook as I have only had them in one family). Don't shoot me!

Sunday Roast, should always have seasoning. I have never had one with seasoning (the cook again).

My English sambo makes roasties with salmon, very nice. He puts garlic on the roasties as well. Tasty!
+
Puffin
post 6.Mar.2012, 06:20 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 6.Mar.2012, 11:40 AM) *
I was taught to put a pinch of english mustard powder in the cheese sauce, to bring out the flavour of the cheese and add a tiny edge to the sauce overall.

Yep - I try to do that when the local village shops have English mustard powder in stock - not the same with those Swedish sweetened mustards though ohmy.gif
+
Puffin
post 6.Mar.2012, 06:25 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (albertrn4848 @ 6.Mar.2012, 06:19 PM) *
Roast Beef, Lamb or Pork - never the scrawny birds that are called chickens here!

I agree about those little Kronfågel ones - have you tried Krönfågels "Gårdskyckling" /Farm chickens - they are much bigger at around 2kg/4½lbs - or sometimes I find a nice corn fed or organic chicken for 3-4lbs

Roast Potatos in Duck or Goose fat

Where do you get your duck/goose fat - or do you frequent the duck pond cool.gif
+
byke
post 6.Mar.2012, 06:56 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Puffin @ 6.Mar.2012, 06:25 PM) *
Where do you get your duck/goose fat

We have brought some over in the past.
But to be perfectly honest, its a very unattractive ingredient ...
Especially if its in a glass jar, sitting in the fridge.
As it looks like curdled man sauce ... in bulk.

Personally I cant get my head around roast tats done with goose fat
as I just get the image of the jar and its contents out of my mind.

I know Nigella swears by it, but her hips dont lie.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: